1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

What Fiber

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by pduthie_au, Aug 10, 2012.

1. pduthie_au

pduthie_au Member

We are looking to upgrade our existing fiber backbone which is currently running at gigabit speeds, and is approximately 10-12 years old. Consequently it won't run any faster speeds over the link lengths we are currently running.

What I am wondering is what standard fiber should I be looking at upgrading it to? I want the new fiber to at a minimum to be able to run 10gigabit, and possibly short lengths of 100gigabit. We are currently running 12 core, and will probably want to replace it with 20 or 24 core fiber.

Can anyone give me some advice on what standards I should be looking at?

2. closed_gate

closed_gate Member

Are you after fiber for between buildings? Depending on the distance you can get away with OM3 up to 260m and OS-1 for any futher than 260m.

The Om3 transcievers will cost about $120 for the 1gig and OS-1 LX transcievers will cost about $450 1gig.

10gig will be a lot more of course.

3. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

24 core single mode internal cabling with SC-A terminations.

4. OP
    OP
    pduthie_au

pduthie_au Member

Isn't single mode considerably more expensive than multimode, or do I have that the wrong way around?

Also, yes it is between buildings. Our longest physical run could be as long as 500metres, but if necessary it can be bridged through switches on shorter runs as the current fiber is terminated between cabinets, and patched through to the next building.

ie:

Cable runs from building 1 to building 2

Pairs 1,2 are used in building 2 (2 physically seperate networks, as mandated DEECD victoria)
    Pairs 3,4,5,6 are patched through to building 3 pairs 1,2,3,4

Cable runs from building 2 to building 3

Pairs 1,2 used in building 3
    Pairs 5,6 patched through to building 4 pairs 1,2

Cable runs from building 3 to building 4

Pairs 1,2 used in building 4

The same design is used from building 1 to buildings 5 and 6.

As you can see, a 12 core fiber is maxed out between buildings 1 and 2, leaving no space for expeansion further down the line.

Initally the new fiber will run 1 gigabit, 10gigabit switches will be purchased to run 10 gigabit and plug into the existing switches (Cisco gear).

Oh, and we get special Cisco pricing through the department - our 48/4 port Cisco 2960S units cost about 1/2 or less of retail. (Non POE version $1506 our price, rec retail somewhere around $5000)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  5. ltd73

ltd73 Member

even if its FDDI grade (pre OM1), it may still be possible to run it at 10G.
    whether you can or not depends on the distances.

that said, you would be spec'ing a minimum OM3 MMF (and preferably OM4) if its distances of <300m or SMF if greater than that.

OM3 can do 100GbE at 100m, OM4 to 150m (requires 10 pairs).

there's no such thing as an "OM3 transceiver". A 10G transceiver is based on the standard which is either SRL, SR, LR, ER et al, not based on it being OM1/OM2/OM3/OM4 (MMF) or SMF although of course LR/ER/DWDM map to SMF, SRL/SR map to MMF.

6. OP
    OP
    pduthie_au

pduthie_au Member

When you say it requires 10 pairs, does that mean that each run would require 10 pairs per link?

7. ltd73

ltd73 Member

yes, 20 physical fibers for 100GBASE-SR.