What forum software and ideas

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Revenger, Aug 25, 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Looking for a name for this if anyone has a name for a Cosplay, Anime, Japanese Fans, Gaming Technology and Mental Health community, please let me know.

Originally someone at a local convention suggested "cajgo-support" so if nothing can be found I may just go with that but I want people to try to help me out with creative names.

I have a spare copy of Rage I could swing someones way as well as a couple anime games I think for any that are extremely creative.
    As well I plan to put helpers of things in the footer with links.
    Overall I am looking for people passionate about helping those with mental health into pc and console gaming, Anime, Cosplay, Jpop and technology in general as my ongoing mission in my life right now is to try to setup a community and support other people wherever I can and to be the best nicest person I can to anyone.

2. Penfold

Penfold Member

Maybe something like Gaijin Gaming

3. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

We aren't a gaming group as such that would apply gaming for Japanese good if your a gaming group into anime visual novels etc.

ThetaTh already something that could be similar Gainin Entertainment a Russian game developer.

So the name isn't a broad scope as I would like.

4. schmoove

schmoove Member

Manjaro forum uses this.
    It is the best forum software I have ever used from an enduser perspective.
    https://forum.manjaro.org/

5. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Last couple days I have been diving into getting things setup and just a few more things to sort out and I will be finally launching.

The launch won't be much fancy but at least something as a starting point that the site can grow and evolve.

6. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

The site and forums is now open for initial users to give feedback etc so I can test and polish.
    Any offers of help are greatly appreciated.

I still have the key for Rage and as well as a bunch of other games I can give out.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  7. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

hahah that forum is blocked from my work. What DO you have on there.....

8. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

The forum is empty currently, just polishing things up and fixing bugs with the theme etc.

Your site may be blocking noip user domains which I currently use.
    As it's not a top level domain yet, it's my own server on noip's sytes.net hosting domain.
    Some places like workplaces may block these types of domains.

A top level would be a extra $10 USD to the bill a year on a upgraded plan and I still can use the 25 hostnames for my other stuff, I have enquired about upgrading but no reply may enquire again sometime.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  9. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

$10 USD a YEAR. That's almost literally nothing. Just do it.

If your host isn't responding to enquiries that can result in increased income for THEM, get another host.
    Doesn't inspire much confidence of timely technical support later.

I'm in Australia and use NetVirtue - they are fantastic.

10. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Noip got back to me they are proposing to help me upgrade by cancelling the paid account crediting me the unused portion and I use that to upgrade to the Plus Managed.

Thats a good option for now and have agreed to go with it.
    Also offered them a bit of promotion on the site if it can help us back in return.
    As well I mented they are free to promote us in blogs or whatever.
    As for the host I want to look into that properly once it starts gaining enough traffic and traction.

I just don't want to spend on ongoing hosting etc and other costs if this is going to be ignored and people not care.

Plus some big sites were run from home initially until they gained traction 4chan, Facebook etc etc etc.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  11. treblid

treblid Member

Some tips for MyBB:
    1. Setup stop forum spam, get an API key (I think that's what it's called) and paste it in the settings. This will stop spamming accounts hopefully
    2. setup project honey pot (https://community.mybb.com/mods.php?action=view&pid=982). Same as 1.
    3. setup google SEO (https://community.mybb.com/mods.php?action=view&pid=789). This gives better URLs to your threads, thus increasing your google ranking
    4. Setup LetsEnrypt and move your site to SSL (https://docs.mybb.com/1.8/administration/security/https/). For security and also improves google ranking
    5. setup DVZSecure Content (https://community.mybb.com/mods.php?action=view&pid=450). To proxy non secure contents
    6. Setup Registration Checkboxes (https://community.mybb.com/mods.php?action=view&pid=433). Use this to modify the default settings when a user signs up. e.g. hide their email addresses to public
    7. Have a good WYSIWYG editor. I'm currently using RinEditor. I think there are at least 2 others.
    8. Other plugins if you like: Google Analytics, MentionMe, Social Bookmarking
    MyBB is in weird situation right now as the public seems to be revolting against the developers. Hopefully everything will smooth out with 1.9. Upgrading MyBB is a real pain in the arse, and hopefully 1.9 will finally make this easier.

As for hosting:
    I was with NetVirtue before, and I do like their services (although their plans can be more expensive compared to the more dodgy people). I'm currently with HostPapa. It'd be nice to run some form of VPS, so eventually i hope to host mine on AWS.

Reasons against hosting at home - relability, dynamic IP etc. Your ISP may suddenly decide to firewall port 80 to your machine and disallow you from hosting from a non business account...

12. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Noted on everything and will take things into consideration.
    Don't want to run too many plugins as plugins and themes are frequently abandoned and can break especially on updates with code changes.
    Especially as MyBB 1.9 is going to change a few things then 2.0 is a complete rewrite though that will probably take until 2020 at least at the pace its going.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  13. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

I got the top level domain now https://cajgo-support.com/ unfortunately virtualmin won't let me change the domain name on the parent virtualhost as the community is a sub server with the main site as the parent. I can change sites without a sub and I can change the sub but not the parent.
    I have a support on their board here but don't know if anyone will reply with a fix.
    So not sure what to do in this situation to get everything on the TLD.
    Currently the TLD is a alias of the front page as a result (at least its something for now).

I've been tweaking features etc added a member only spoiler which can do images/videos and has description support, fixed more of the theme and a couple other things.
    I have a offline page using a image I made linked from imgur to noip's offline system so if the server crashes hopfully it'll display that when we are down.
    I also ordered a stack of business cards which I its nicer and more professional than giving just the url out with a pen to everyone and companies etc I meet locally at conventions etc.

Its not just a anime or cosplay community its also a gaming community and a bit of everything with technology also.
    Looking for anyone here that would like to join and provide feedback or possibly even help fix stuff and get the community going.
    At the moment I don't know if I am doing anything wrong but do have some great plans for this from a youtube channel to getting sponsors and eventual forum and community features rolled out.

Just added Rin Editor as above for easier posting even in quick reply and submitted a bug report on label names to the mycode and png files.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  14. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

I have a ticket on virtualmin support now so hopfully I will get some answers about changing the domain name in the software.

I should have done a private registration I've been inundated with emails from various Indian companies wanting to create websites or mobile apps, do marketing and seo etc etc, I have even had about 5 calls in 2 days from various companies, a couple I missed but its getting annoying.
    I have added a private registration for a extra $10 usd a year so its now a extra $20 a year instead of $10 I was going to pay.
    I hope the amount of crap dies down.

Also constantly tweaking and doing things.

15. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

I have just moved the forums over to the top level domain after some messing around backend.

I have also enabled a redirect on all old links to the main page on the proper site via noip so
    Let me know how it works.

Any promotion assistance or people to come in and start making discussions is appreciated.

Last edited: May 21, 2018 at 6:05 AM
  16. mr camouflage

mr camouflage Member

"Cant find the sever" error for cagjo-support.com

Brave trying to start a forum these days. I ran a car forum for the last 10 or more years, and since facebook groups became popular the place is like an internet ghost town.

Revenger likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Whoops my bad I had the url link mixed up in the last post I have randomly mixed up the j and g a few times easy mistake to do, I removed it its actually cajgo-support.com
    So You can look at it now and anyone else.

Cheers for the message.

I know its brave but I feel with what I want to achieve eventually a forum is the best way.
    As I hope to grow this initially into a small community then later mby a mega forum with YouTube channel and user marketplace, sponsors and other features once we grow.

I am all up for listening to comments feedback and ideas and will take everything into account its its a forum hopefully run and maintained by and for the community not just my personal forum for the community.

Last edited: May 21, 2018 at 6:56 PM
  18. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

I have been adding a couple new features a blog listing that shows the threads in a forum like our news posts here.
    needs expanding with prefixes, filters and pagination which is beyond me.
    Changed the front page to have a sliding box with notices.
    Did a couple backend things.
    Always looking at anything else I can do, change and improve on.
    Also if anyone here would like to join up and help feel free.
    Its a site for multiple interests so doesn't matter if you don't fit into everyone of these.
    Anime, Cosplay, Gamers, Technology enthusiasts.

I predict and expect the gaming side will grow into its own area in the community.
    Also with the StopCyberBullying day coming up I am making sure my site aligns with that stuff and other causes that impact the community I am maintaining.
    As this is also a support, mental health and understanding site I run and I want to do everything I can to support others through the community.
    I also have purchased a couple extra bundles from around the place and have quite a few spare steam keys from bundles to give away to active members.

19. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Blogs have prefixes now,
    Google SEO is in which allows better url naming for threads,
    A couple other changes are done, new notice slider on front page, metadata description added.
    Looking for feedback on the best way to add group icons etc as once we get support members and vips I hope to make them stand out as well as other staff.
    Really looking for new active members to help the community to grow etc.

Last edited: May 27, 2018 at 6:49 PM