1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

What game are you playing now?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by badmofo, Oct 24, 2017.

1. badmofo

badmofo Member

I have a thread going over at Vogons along these lines but I find myself wondering what you OCAU retro guys are playing too.

I've been struggling to find the time / motivation to play much of anything lately but a long lost love of mine, FarCry 2, has come back into my life recently - and just at the right time too. When real life gets hard and complicated, FarCry 2 is there with simple, non-stop fun. I know some people didn’t dig on the constantly re-spawning checkpoints, the paper thin story-line, the malaria, the constant stream of fetch-quests, the superficial RPG elements – forget that stuff I say! The genius of this game is the mind blowing open world, thrilling gunplay, and wave after wave of cunning NPC’s who are trying to stop you getting from point A to point B.

The weapons are tactile and diverse enough to allow you to approach a situation as you see fit – stealth, sniper, all-guns-blazing. Fire is another weapon at your disposal – you can set stuff on fire! The fire spreads! Genius.

And did I mention the mind blowing open world? The different environments are done brilliantly – jungle, open savanna, desert. Animals call, the grass sways, trees thrash around in a thunderstorm. Plants collapse out of your way as you push through them, branches fall off trees when the bullets start to fly.

You have a body – feet, legs, arms, and you never leave the first person perspective so you're always immersed in the character, but at the same time you’re blessedly silent – you never say a word! The moronic utterings of the hero in FarCry 3 had me constantly searching for the “blow own brains out” button, but my guy in FC2 – I can’t even remember his name – he just gets on with it. Genius!

To mix things up a bit I’m playing with a couple of mods:

Dylans FC2 Mod 1.4
    Realistic ReShade pack

The ReShade pack is obviously just a graphics mod – it strips back the brown filter and make the world a lot prettier and colourful. Dylans mod tweaks all sorts of things and is working for me so far – the NPCs are sassier and ammo is more plentiful. Up goes the fun factor. And just look at these damn graphics - genius:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

elvis likes this.
  2. power

power Member

Mixing my time between Secret of Mana on the SNES Classic and Windwaker HD on the WiiU.

Goddam I hated FC2 (I pre-ordered it!)- but I loved the multiplayer!

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Spent a couple of hours on the weekend playing "Cadillacs and Dinosaurs" followed by "Magic Sword" on one of my MAME cabinets. Had the urge for both. Itch scratched.

My son played Pokemon Red on my request. He's played several of the newer ones, and I asked him to compare for the "Let's play" thread. I need to put some time into it myself before the month is out.

4. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

I've been playing Medal of honour - Spearhead, not that enjoyable TBH seems more arcade than Allied Assault but that was a special game.

MOHAA, Far Cry & Half life/2 some of the best FPS of all time.

5. nimmers

nimmers Member

I'm working on a 1CC playthrough of Final Fight arcade. Tough :(

6. adz

adz Member

Nothing retro atm, but I can't get enough of Elite Dangerous!

7. Krumm

Krumm Member

Depending on my mood I may be working through the backlog or replaying games I enjoy.

Currently playing Dropsy a rather unique adventure point and click game which just throws you into the game and leaves you to explore with the story unfolding via voiceless interaction with characters in the world. Could be frustrating to some but I for one quite enjoy it, however after getting the link to steam and watching the trailers as I hadn't done so previously It does reveal hints / solutions to a few puzzles so if you don't want spoilers I'd avoid that first trailer and watch the second if you just want to see a bit of a teaser.

Also playing Odallus: The Dark Call which I'd class as a metroidvania, classic nes style graphics with initially a set route via an overworld map akin to GnG, with powerups / subweapons to be discovered allowing access to different areas / secrets in previous levels (hence the metroidvania) as well as a nice difficulty curve that so far hasn't proved too frustrating.

Both games on sale with the steam sales too so can be picked up cheap.

8. power

power Member

oops started another Zelda game on the weekend. :) The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds on 3DS, very cool little game.

nimmers likes this.
  9. nimmers

nimmers Member

That game is awesome :)

10. power

power Member

is 10 hours the new retro limit? :)

11. Reaper

Reaper Member

Bit of Diablo2. Kill Bhaal and then Tyrial spawns the end portal in the freaking column. lol.

[​IMG]

12. nimmers

nimmers Member