'What game is this?' thread

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Broden, Jul 21, 2010.

1. samus

samus Member

Ok wow. Just as jank. but still, so so satisfying. Scratching that itch. bliss.

elvis likes this.
  2. PogiPinoy

PogiPinoy Member

Been reading through this thread in its entirety and just want to comment on how amazing some of the knowledge and memories are of those that have helped out.

Genius! :thumbup:

elvis and MUTMAN like this.
  3. OCMunkee

OCMunkee Member

Ok guys, I have a good challenge for you, this could be shareware/freeware, could have been a demo...

I played an RPG type game which had a top-down view, mid-90s, probably on the Mac (but it could even have been win95/DOS)
    You start off in a small town, I vaguely recall the initial part you had to actually enter the town gates??

An early quest you can get is searching a well, and you find a ring, the quest is to find the owner and return it.
    You can go into various shops, but because you've just started, you're basically piss broke, so need to find ways to get gold.
    At some point, you can do various small quests for small amounts of coin, often you end up fighting rats (maybe?) and collecting pelts/skins for the town pest control

I think you can eventually purchase property, but I'm not sure I ever got that far.
    There's also an arena of some description, which I recall being like a red/white striped circus tent.

I don't *think* there were any voices, may have had some basic music/sound effects.

I have been trawling through old Mac demo CDs, archives, etc. to no avail. - the name I vaguely remember thinking sounded something LIKE Avara, but obviously that isn't it.

Please please please help, it's driving me mad!

::EDIT:: If it helps, I *think* it was around the same time as we played Darkwood, Cythera and Escape Velocity

::EDIT2:: By "top down" I think I mean isometric view -- actually I'm not sure, it may be actually top down like the Exile series.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  4. Zetrox2k

Zetrox2k Member

Not Might & Magic World of Xeen is it by any chance?

The quests, the circus tent etc all match up...

5. power

power Member

sounds a bit like Ultima.

6. OCMunkee

OCMunkee Member

Sadly, neither of those two. It was definitely top-down, not like M&M.
    I don't recall there being options for party at all, I think you were just one character.

Also I don't remember magic featuring, but of course it was possibly just a demo/vapourware that never eventuated.

::EDIT::
    Found an email chain between my brother and I from a year ago looking for the same game:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  7. mmBax

mmBax Member

Alright guys, question time.

Was talking to a friend thinking of games from the past. I'm thinking mid 90's. Platform game.
    I'm sure it had a really simple name, but to be fair the thing that I remember the most is the opening scene level.

It starts with you basically falling from the top of the screen, and you land hard, on the dirt floor. You're in a dark cave. You're this strong looking guy, and you have to figure out where you are and what to do. I'm fairly sure as you walk along you discover a shotgun. Level design was dark, maybe lit torches. Similar graphics to Prince of Persia (that level of detail, so.. basic)

That's about all I've got at the moment. Just that first scene always got me as a little kid, just falling and bam, game on.

8. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Blackthorne / Blackhawk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackthorne

Made by Blizzard (yes, Warcraft/Starcraft/WoW/Overwatch Blizzard). Was on heaps of different platforms. Boxart by famous DC/Marvel artist (and personal favourite of mine) Jim Lee.

Play the PC/DOS version in your browser (or download it and play it in DOSBox on your own system):
    https://archive.org/details/BLACKTHN

PC Longplay video:

SNES Longplay with green Nintendo-friendly blood:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  9. mmBax

mmBax Member

Wow. That was almost too easy! Thanks

elvis likes this.
  10. elvis

You just gotta get lucky and hope that someone who knows the game sees your question. Plenty in this thread I've never head of, but Blackthorne was a favourite from a long time ago. :)

11. Opus40

Opus40 Member

would it have been
    Hugo 2 Whodunit

12. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

I need help.
    I’m looking for third person point and click adventure/puzzle game

Late 90’s, and not particularly well received (so no one suggest anything by Lucasarts or any game that will appear on any best point and click of all time lists)
    I never got far but I remember having to click a bunch to get wire and a candy wrapper to fix an elevator.
    Some of the puzzles made no sense, but I’m feeling the urge to hunt the game down.
    Was a windows 95 or 98 game.
    And it’s possible I’ll be able to hunt it down before anyone knows what it is, but this game is driving me crazy.

If I didn’t know better I’d swear you were describing castle of the winds.

13. elvis

I can't guess from the description, but perhaps take a scroll through HG101's list:
    http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/adventure-point-and-click/

Rather than "top 10" type lists you get on shitty sites like IGN, they do a much deeper dive into series.

Gabriel Knight, Deponia and Broken Sword all had long running series that sold well enough, despite never reaching Lucasarts levels of hype/popularity.

Sounds like Myst (or one of its sequels) to me. I hated that game so much.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  14. power

power Member

what type of setting and tone was it?

15. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

I've been trying to find a C64 game for years, was a platform game, backgrounds were quite detailed for C64. There was collecting of artefacts along the way, but mostly swinging on vines over mud pits and sometimes going to next levels by ladder. Have found a few that seem similar but never something that made me think oh that it for sure. I remember it came in a multipack with Death Wish and a few others I can't recall.

JSmith

16. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

I’m pretty sure it was supposed to be in the distant future, despite everything being broken, there were flying cars.
    Only things set in the future have flying cars!

I’m trying to find it the old fashioned way by digging through old discs, if I have no luck I’ll turn the search to the modern wonders of the interwebz!

17. power

power Member

Surely it's not Beneath a Steel Sky?

18. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

I’m starting to look through the list Elvis posted, but the game I’m looking for has a similar theme to that, but is definitely newer.

19. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Going through that list now.. 2 hours from now I’ll know, and it’s definitely NOT myst, people have heard of myst, no ones heard of what I’m trying to find.

20. elvis

I'm sure someone has. Our brains are just getting old and crusty. :)