1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

What happens to their stuff when a big arcade collector passes away?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Aug 12, 2016.

1. power

power Member

What happens to their stuff when a big arcade collector passes away?

A great question, I know there are a lot of us out there collecting retro but yeah - what does happen, this article linked to off Kotaku shows what happened when a prolific collector of arcade stuff passed in the UK.

It's a great read and a little sad at the same time, I've taken a few quotes but it's well worth clicking through there's a ton of pics and more story to it.

Pete Davies: The ‘Invadar’ Arcade Collection

2. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

When I read that last quote, I kind of wept inside and grinned at the same time.
    - Grinned for the guys who scored it, and wept at not having the opportunity to be involved.

If word had got out (about the stash) it would have been like dropping a packet of hot chips at the beachfront - the seagulls would be swooping in from everywhere to pick up some of the spoils :lol:

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

You're not wrong. Read arcade collecting forums from any country, and there'll always be a few rant threads about well known "seagulls" in every region.

Sadly if there's a dollar to be made from something, the scum will appear quickly. It can be a real downer for the hobby, and I've seen some good people quit communities because of it.

4. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Makes you wonder how much good retro gear gets thrown out because family/relatives have no idea of the value. No doubt "seagulls" take advantage of such situations but it's great to see in this particular case that the online community he was apart of will make sure they are saved and restored just as I'm sure he had wished.

Does make you think about your own situation and what would happen. Perhaps I should put "OCAU Retro & Arcade forum" in my will with a link to the "Retro hardware give-away thread"? :lol:

5. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

This is the same for any sort of collection. My grandfather collected antique tractors and stationary engines, and left behind a shed full of stuff. We had no idea about any of it. I put the feelers out on a few forums but didn't get many bites, just a lot of people that wanted to pick the eyes out of it and take the stuff that was valuable.

Luckily we managed to find one guy who made a serious offer to just take most of it. We still ended up taking a lot of it to the tip though.

Since then I've seriously reduced the size of my own collection :wired:

6. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

Some of my collection came from a deceased estate, where the wife was clearing out her dead husband's work room. He was a troubleshooter for a big IT company, and was a mega hoarder. While they sold a lot of stuff (especially Amigas, and I bought some IBM gear) they also threw out a HUGE amount of good items - I filled up my 4WD twice with free systems and monitors. Could have had a couple more old Compaq workstations and a free rack if I'd had space. Still kicking myself for not buying the additional boxes of power supplies and interface cards, but it was a nice haul overall anyway. Apparently there'd been some other seagulls through before me, so I wonder what treasures they took (they promised to pay and never did).

So this sort of thing sure does make me wonder about my situation, wife would probably be happy to throw out the "junk" without thinking twice! I'll need to leave some instructions about how best to distribute whatever is on hand, and might even have to draft some eBay listings/OCAU posts too.