What have you done to your PC today?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by brayway, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Assuming both surfaces have been lapped horizontally on both axis of course... If one of them is a couple degrees out he will have made it worse.

2. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

Echo.... echo... echooo....

I tried to tell him that but what do i know hahaha

3. headin2001

headin2001 Member

Ok. I'm going to step in here because this has got retarded.

Well done Terry. I'm sure it will be much nicer now.

A lap will always produce a better result. It's a deformity in the IHS that's the issue.

With a concave IHS, you end up with a deeper pocket of TIM in the center which I if too deep will work more as an insulator than a thermal transfer.

Many years ago, Thermalright came out with their coolers being convex to help the contact, and showed way better results than the others as it helped reduce the oocket of TIM or possible air pockets. All other manufacturers then followed. It's been like that ever since then as it works when the IHS manufacture isn't perfect.

Lapping the lid fixes all these issues. Let it go people.

SinistaLad and adamsleath like this.
  4. shino

shino Member

Got my XP computer running but no sound. Double clicked on the drivers for sound but nothing. downloaded the driver from manfu. website..

playing fallout but no sound. dunno how many rats I gotta kill

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  5. shane41

shane41 Member

Computers are more interesting so lets get the thread back on track

[​IMG]

I started doing this one a while back. But I'm held up on the reservoir. Round cylinder are useless to fit in there " in the way " so perhaps the 5.25 bay type?
    Flat against the right inside?

X2 wonderful new boards I picked up in the USA. 790i Ultra Sli, 2x BFG gtx295 H20's ... these are the full heavy copper blocks & the biggest factory overclock.
    Man so lucky they were not busted up the packing was atrocious, floating loose in the original cartons.

Fully pulled those down & buffed copper. Cannot see it now as tarnish is back. Then there's a 2x 180 rad in the bottom. 45mm thickness iirc.
    Thinking to mount another rad out back of case " the over kill morrad " theme.
    1000Watt galaxy psu from the forums ... this thing is a beast. Started making up som modulaer cables for it. Matching braid to find.
    No idea what rams for it, but I have plenty of good looking sets. Then finish it of with the clear Hard tubing. All in a tiny Silverstone case.

So a blast from the past Socket 775 with a modern look :D

JidaiGeki likes this.
  6. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

Nice build, 775 still getting some love. Putting in a 9770? I just pulled apart my main desktop, based on EVGA 790i Ultra, leaking caps everywhere, but at least now I know why it was freezing all the time. Replaced it with a Gigabyte 1366 board & i7 990X, intended to have 2x GTX295s as well, but one got lost in the mail recently :upset:

7. SinistaLad

SinistaLad Member

Went a step further over the weekend. Delidded the 3930k that was lapped a few pages back. Why? Because why not. You wont learn if you dont try. If I read something on the internet that genuinely conflicts what I think would happen I have to try it myself. So i did.
    For those who dont know 3930k is a soldered 6 core sandybridge-e from x79 platform. Not a MASSIVE drop like we are seeing on the newer chips coming out with paste instead of solder but it did drop 7c load temps im expecting better results as i only used AS5 between the ihs and the block as not to use anymore LM on this project till i know it was still working haha.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Edit- METHOD: This is as ghetto as it gets but if its dumb and it works is it still dumb?
    I didnt have any blades left in the shed that i could find so i opted to make my own. flattened out a couple stainless hose clamps cut them down and sharpened them as best i could with a bench grinder and sharpening stone. I used these to cut the silicone which was much harder then any other chips I have done in the past.
    To melt the solder i used a 2 step heat gun however i made a shroud out of the top of an empty deodorant can to funnel the flow of hot air down to about 15mm so i didnt just blast the entire chip with hot air.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    cesario likes this.
  8. newlife

newlife Member

Nice and what method did you to delid? Also I wondered what your ocau name was

9. Leigh M

Leigh M Member

5 year old system not much to do without updating the lot

Before:

[​IMG]

After;
    [​IMG]

10. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Took to the 450D with a grinder this arvo and got the 80mm 280 and the 30mm 360 rads and blingy corsair LL fans installed. :D

[​IMG]

Edit: Chucked some hardware in quickly to see what sort of space I'll have to work with. Not much. lol.

Already thinking of swapping to a 60mm 360 in the roof and mounting the fans externally...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  11. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Check the girth on that thing. Jezuz.

12. radeon_freak

radeon_freak Member

Might wanna take a look at the block mount whilst your at it. Looks like the left hand side isn't making contact.

13. l_ QuadX_l

l_ QuadX_l Member

Finally installed a working video card in my mostly Ebay-parts-bought budget AM3+ system, a Powercolor HD6570 1GB. Card only cost about $18 including shipping within Australia :D Only Slightly more expensive than the Phenom II CPU running the system, CPU was from China though.

[​IMG]

14. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  15. Tazor

Tazor Member

Any reason you didn't use a thick front radiator? You've got the clearance for it.

16. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Ahh crap, I'll keep that in mind next time! ;)

She's not pretty, but it works for now until I find a better solution for the res/pump situation. (or a bigger case!)

Note: Turn off sound. Mics busted. Sorry.

Edit: More fun with the RGB. (and youtubes horrible music to cover my mic)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    Defyant and adamsleath like this.
  17. Tazor

Tazor Member

I really like your tube runs dude, good job.
    Next step is to add some RGB to give it some bling.

#DrySarcasmIsNotFunnyTazorShutUp

18. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Forum ate my post it seems.

Was going to say that I thought solder was pretty much as good as Liquid metal an that most people did not recommend the upgrade. (more of a side grade).

PS that Die is pretty huge.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  19. l_ QuadX_l

l_ QuadX_l Member

[​IMG]

Oldschool gaming on a 40" LED TV.. looks and sounds great, with HDMI audio :D Running Windows 10.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    sammy_b0i and Defyant like this.
  20. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Digged up an EVGA Classified SLI X58 motherboard today, cleaned it up. Don't know what to do with it though.