What have you done to your PC today?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by brayway, Oct 1, 2010.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Going old school :lol:

Nice :thumbup:

2. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I've pretty much done the same. My current rig, with a bequiet!! Dark Rock Pro 4, is the first 24/7 air cooled daily driver I've had in years. I'm loving the simplicity of it, the ease of working on it. To be honest, I'm not finding it to be much, if any, louder than the watercooled rigs were. Its not running quite as cool as some of my custom water rigs did (though only a couple of degrees hotter, if that), but it matches any AIO I've used in pretty much every respect. To be fair though, that's not an apples to apples comparison as this is the only cooler I've used on my 2700X. I did run my 1700 on a 280 AIO with similar results, but that's not apples to apples I guess.

I did see a Jayztwocents video where he compared air to water, apples to apples, and despite being a fan of water cooling, he conceded in the end that there was little to choose between a high end air cooler vs AIO water cooling.

Custom water is still king, but I am over messing around with it these days.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    mad_mic3 and Defyant like this.
  3. Dodge M4S

Dodge M4S Member

I transferred my 8 year old system in a brand new case (Rotanium Temper TG-101). I also bought a Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L but im regretting it because the fan is whiny above 30% and it doesn't cool the FX-8150 very well. I really wanted to buy a decent air cooler but I would have had clearance issues with my ram :/

67726530_10156773324520749_369148655225012224_o.jpg

Defyant likes this.
  4. Defyant

Defyant Member

A big thanks to DSTM (Dougie) for donating the latest home for the new system really happy with the CM H500P case. Shows off the CR1 perfect.

Cheers Dougie owe ya one buddy
    :thumbup:

Waiting for the AIB 5700's to hit the the shops to grab a matching GPU.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DSTM (Dougie) and BlueRaven like this.
  5. Defyant

Defyant Member

While i'm here linking pics!

Just thought i'd share an amazing project that Dougie started a while back. I'ts since been scrapped but it's worth a look just to show off his amazing skills with designing and working plex.

I nick named the project "EVE" as it was the beginning of something pretty special. A dual system Case.

Anyways enjoy the pics as every cut on the mod was done buy hand using a router ! No laser cutting involved..... Again amazing Stuff Dougie :thumbup::thumbup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bertross and BlueRaven like this.
  6. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

This wasn't really a "mod", more of an "emergency rescue/refurbishment".
    I managed to spill a glass of wine over my desk last night and a good third of it splashed over the lower-left side of my aging (but still awesome) Corsair K70.
    Shit immediately started going haywire so I dove for the back of the PC and unplugged, then indulged in a suitable amount of cursing while I cleaned up the mess.
    After a good wipe down, things didn't look too bad...
    IMG20190804161221_Resized.jpg

... but upon plugging it in again after 30 minutes of dry-out time, something was still definitely not right. Ctrl/Alt/shift/space/Win keys were locking things up, all sorts of weird behaviour still happening.
    So I bit the bullet and reached for the keycap puller to start getting the thing apart. Here is an example image of what I found... be thankful that I am not sharing any pics of what came out of the case once I seperated it... :sick:

IMG-20190804-WA0014.jpg

I was hoping to get to the top side of the circuit board under the top plate and give it a good clean, until I realised I'd have to desolder every single keyswitch to do that...
    So I settled for a liberal application of isopropyl alcohol onto the affected keys to help evaporate any remaining moisture inside the switch mechanisms, along with a generous spray into the gap between the board and top plate.
    I also gave the reverse side of the PCB a good scrub.

IMG-20190804-WA0012.jpg

Here you can see the disassembled top plate/PCB, the membrane key module which houses the function keys/Home+End key group/media keys/volume roller, the film circuit for the membrane module, and the USB passthrough/LED board.
    The loose spring at the bottom-right of the image is a ground contact which ties the aluminium top plate to the USB passthrough socket cable shield.

IMG20190804223253_Resized.jpg

Reassembled innards with USB output/passthrough headers reconnected. Plugged in, booted up, everything is copacetic. FUCK YEAH.

IMG20190804224506_Resized.jpg

TWO HOURS LATER: after painstaking application of damp rag + fine-tipped screwdriver + more alcohol, this was the result:

IMG20190804230424_Resized.jpg

After another hour of scrubbing and refitting the key caps... just like a bought one. :D:thumbup:

IMG20190805183045_Resized.jpg

Defyant and pwlm1975 like this.
  7. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

Boring shit on my part.

Put an MX500 500GB SSD and Toshiba 2TB spinner in my main PC, got the compressor into it and gave it a good going over. Old rust was a 1TB Seagate from 2011 that's starting to spread bad sectors.

Put the older 120GB SanDisk SSD into the 2nd PC along with a fresh Windows install, gave it a dust out as well.

Amazing how much crap manages to collect in even a well filtered case (Define R3) but tbh it's been about 6 months since the last clean out, and I live not far from the SE Freeway in Logan so it's always dusty and fumy (fumey?)

BlueRaven likes this.
  8. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Fractal does a good job with case filtering (I have an older-gen Define R5) but yeah... no matter how much crap you vacuum off the filters, there's always going to be that really fine dust that gets through and collects inside.
    I could go off on a long discussion about positive case pressure vs. negative pressure (more blow vs. more suck) but at the end of the day, you can't escape the laws of physics. More airflow (=GOOD) equals more dust (=BAD).
    It's been better since I moved into a 9th-floor apartment with less exposure to main roads, I open my bedroom window for ventilation during the day but I don't leave the PC running while I'm out at work.
    Used to live next to a main road and ran the thing 24/7, the dust buildup was ridiculous, even for an R5.

Note to self: buy one of those little compressors. :)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    pwlm1975 likes this.
  9. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I've actually gone in the opposite direction. I'm using insect screen as a filter. It keeps out the larger stuff like hair and fine fibres, but does nothing to prevent small dust particles.
    Its a compromise. Fine filters will block very quickly with dust. I allow the smaller stuff through, and simply clean the case out on a regular basis.

As opposed to frequent cleaning of fine filters, a coarser filter won't become totally clogged so quickly, and it takes considerable time for sufficient dust to collect in vital areas inside the case to cause problems.

Mind you, I don't have any windows to make my thin layer of dust viewable.

BlueRaven and pwlm1975 like this.
  10. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Ratzz , compromises are always required for a daily driver as you say.
    Are you happy to clean your filters regularly, or are you okay with a bit of fine dust buildup and a thorough clean every couple of months?
    Are you running high OC's and stressing the system with high loads regularly, and you want every bit of available airflow for solid reliability?
    Or can you afford to let things slide for a while until you can be bothered to get off your arse and clean the thing out?
    Are you under water which can handle the very slight decrease in cooling performance as the rads slowly clog up, or do you need to keep that chunky air cooler spick'n'span for best performance?
    All personal choices. :)

I saw your post about going back to air cooling and I'm in the same boat at the moment.
    I have several hundred dollars worth of custom WC gear lying around here that I'd love to put back into use, but with the steady progress towards higher performance/watt and improvements in air cooling tech, I honestly don't know if I can be bothered with the time/effort/maintenance requirements of running a watercooled system these days. As you stated, the noise issue is really no longer an issue unless you're running some stupidly hyped-up fan profiles, and there's a lot to be said for just building a rig and then enjoying using it without all the hassle that goes along with running a custom WC'd system, unless you're part of the "show car" crowd and seeking to dazzle people with your amazing modding skills (no disrepect intended to those people, I wish I had the resources and patience to do it!). I'm running an old 32nm chip with a "compact" noctua cooler and a stock-as-a-rock GPU with a cheap blower cooling solution (as per sig), and the noise never gets to unbearable levels during day-to-day use. At the end of the day, my spare time becomes more and more valuable as I get older (I hit the big 4-0 this week) and I'd prefer to use that time just playing games and editing photos/video, rather than tinkering with my cooling system every other weekend. :)

pwlm1975 , do you bother with a moisture trap on your air line, or do you find that it's not necessary? Reckon I might make a trip over to the nearest Supercheap this coming weekend, wondering whether I should buy an accessory kit or not bother?

EDIT - Nostalgia shot from exactly 6 years ago today (filename 20130608_125950_resized), taken while cleaning out my externally-vented rad arrangement that was intended to dump waste heat outside during the summer months and keep the flat a tiny bit cooler.

Yeah, I actually don't miss this shit at all. :lol:

20130608_125950_resized.jpg

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    Defyant and Ratzz like this.
  11. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I feel your pain !! :lol:

BlueRaven likes this.
  12. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

So this arrived today :thumbup: IMG_20190807_093735.jpg

DSTM (Dougie), BlueRaven and Defyant like this.
  13. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

Actually no. I've usually left the case open for a few minutes in a warm place in the shed to allow any miniscule amounts of condensation to evaporate and never had an issue. Got this Ozito branded one from Bunnings a couple of years ago, and I use it regularly for all my electronics (Xbox, TVs, monitors, Fetch box etc.) It makes a slight racket and doesn't churn much air after the first few seconds, but certainly enough to get visible dust off surfaces and especially out of fan blades, housings, and heat sinks.

BlueRaven likes this.
  14. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

I like the look of the MSI RX5700 series evoke.:thumbup:

In case anyone was wondering, those silver brackets, in the images above of my build,were only temp,to hold all in place,till glued.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  15. asho444

asho444 Member

Friend upgraded to new AMD series recently and gifted us his 1600 so I managed to upgrade the wifes PC to get a B450m steel legend, 16gb 3000mhz Tforce RAM , Samsung evo 970 500gb and a 1060 6gb ITX from a i7 3770s setup
    Boy howdy did that make everything snappier and thanks to some good bargains was only out of pocket about $100 after selling off the old gear.
    and recently was able to pick up the huion kamvas pro 13 for $400 from Amazon.

Been looking to upgrade her case aswell from a crap black box.
    found some cheap ARGB Fans on Amazon and grabbed a Inwin 301 this case is beautiful btw
    here is a quick snap:
    [​IMG]

16. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Ooooooo, purdy. :shock:

Seriously though, tidy build, nice work. :thumbup:
    How much do we love these shorty GPUs eh?
    Not having a full-length graphics card with a chunky cooler just makes the interior of any case look so much neater IMHO, and it makes cable management easier too.
    There's nothing wrong with big cards for big gfx power of course, but as I get older I'm finding myself more and more drawn to "compact and efficient" rather than "IN-YOUR-FACE POWAHHHH!!1!".
    The short cards also have a bit of a cool retro-looking appeal too, for those who remember when a PCI card with a dinky little bolted on fan was the absolute height of pixel-pushing prowess. :lol:

17. asho444

asho444 Member

Thank you :) Ha ha I'm actually kinda torn on the gpu, I love the smallness but also want to fill in the case a little more. Definitely pulling off the shroud and painting it at some point and wanting to do a custom back plate for it. But for the size (same as the nzxt h200i) it's an awesome case!