What have you done to your PC today?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by brayway, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Defyant

Defyant Member

I'm with you on the coarser filter the gains far out weigh the negs :thumbup:

Jay's got those fans configured as exhaust.... why would you blow air thru a filter on an exhaust?

I'm sure if he was to place the filters on the SUCK side of the fans the effect would not be as dramatic.

Ratzz, DSTM (Dougie) and shredder like this.
  2. argent

argent Member

He's got ONE of the fans as an exhaust as far as I can tell - this is the standard Shift setup. The top front fan is set as an exhaust and the bottom front fan is an intake along with the bottom fan. Typically because of the non vented front cover, you'd have both rads at the bottom in the L configuration. A reddit user (and I have tested it in my worklog with VERISA) suggested to reverse the config and have both rads as exhausts while the top front as an intake would make a huge difference to airflow (and it does!) for the Shift. My issue with this is that the air being taken in, will be 'polluted' with warm air from the exhausts.

With a vented front panel, all bets are off and I've found the best config is rads in the top front and bottom front as exhausts, while a high flow intake fan at the bottom works further increases the air flow efficiency. Currently I'm experimenting with an extra 140mm wired onto the top panel to see if temps go down. So far, I think it's working a bit - system idle has gone down but because my ambient is fluctuating a bit due to the crazy weather in Adelaide, I haven't really been able to do proper testing. Today as I'm typing this the system temp is sitting at 37C with all internal fans at minimum 30-35% spin rate.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  3. Supersize

Supersize Member

Vertical Mount GPU using the Coolermaster kit, I liked it better due to not taking up the floor of the 0-11 Dynamic.

Tight fit with the Apex XI Dimm.2 card though, it slotted in the little notch perfectly... [​IMG]

I fixed up the cables after taking the pictures.

Oh it did knock 5 - 7c off my temps, which honestly I wasn't expecting at all.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Defyant and DSTM (Dougie) like this.
  4. moonGred

moonGred Member

This might not be the best place to ask, but do any of you have any recommendations on where to buy some desk cable management stuff in Melbourne (or online).
    I had a look around but couldn’t for the life of me find anything that’s not meant for commercial cable management

5. cpl punish

cpl punish Member

Not sure if Bunnings might have what you're after? Lots of velcro, ties and conduit in different sizes available.

If that's not what you're after though interested to see the other suggestions!

6. moonGred

moonGred Member

Yea that and some little hooks/cable runners for at the back of my desk. Will sus it out over the weekend, thanks for the recommendation!

7. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Ikea maybe.

8. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  9. shredder

shredder Member

Incidentally where can you get hold of bulk cable ties for cheap these days?

I baulk at paying 5-10c per cable tie, which seems to be the price at Bunnings etc, when you break down the 100 packs.

2 or 3c apiece I could probably justify.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  10. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

Bunnings have 500 assorted ties, if you don't mind colours for $5:90.

11. shredder

shredder Member

Cool, I'll have to see if I can find the bloody things in The Maze next time I'm in there. :thumbup:

12. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

Normally on the bottom shelf.Floor level.

13. moonGred

moonGred Member

Can confirm that Bunnings does have a whole bunch stuff, for a not unreasonable price.

14. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

Hope you found something, to do the tidy up.
    PS.Bunnings, is my second home.:D

15. moonGred

moonGred Member

It all went well until I got to the powerboard part. Some of my powerplugs come with a way too long of lead. After 90 min of stuffing about with the whole lot I wasn't in the mood to get that mess sorted, so it's been postponed to another day.

Will need to get a 2m long display port cable as the one that came with my monitor is a tad too short. As well as a longer version of the usb cable feeding my monitor. Anyone with an X34 know what that cable type is called?

16. Defyant

Defyant Member

Bit late to the party soz, For cable management "desktop style" i got my hands on a bunch of these old fluro light grill covers. I use a similar idea for the work shop , cept it's over head and using a heavier duty cable tray.

They will work with normal power boards as well,

[​IMG]

These are just deep and wide enuf to fit board and plugs

[​IMG]

For swing hinges so it can drop down ive just bent up some old brackets

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then used cut to size Velcro strips to tidy up all the cables and psu's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another bracket is bent up for a simple slid n lock latch

[​IMG]

Then it's just a matter of 3 small screws into the bottom of the desk

[​IMG]

What i like most is that the cable tray lets me route all my periphs over the desktop to the tray. :thumbup:

VirtualNinja, Ratzz, juzz86 and 2 others like this.
  17. moonGred

moonGred Member

wow that’s a really clean setup! Thanks for the heads up, will keep my eye out for it and might move to it in the future.

18. spit051261

spit051261 Member

Bought Corsair Crystal 680X and although it's a nice case , the fans and cooling are pants so I thought I would make changes .
    Removed the 2 x RGB and 1 x non RGB 120mm fans and fitted 3 x 120 RGB fans to rad .
    Bought 5 x 140 LL 140 RGB fans and fitted those , Also removed top glass which I had to for cooling.
    I now have 2 x 140 bottom blowing in , 1 x 140 at back blowing in , 3 x 120 on rad blowing in and 2 x 140 exhaust from top .
    Works rather well after monitoring CPU and GPU temps. (pics might explain).
    It's a nice case and so much better than my last case ( CoolerMaster 500 although it should have been called a plastic MasterWarmer 500 degrees C )
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    DSTM (Dougie) likes this.
  19. painkiller

painkiller Member

New desktop with a mix of new/old parts

Ryzen 2600x
    MSI B450i Gaming Plus AC
    Corsair Vengeance RBG Pro 3200 2 x 8GB
    NZXT H210
    ASUS RX580 Strix
    Corsair HX1000i

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

combatant3219 and DSTM (Dougie) like this.
  20. spit051261

spit051261 Member

Very nice