What have you done to your PC today?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by brayway, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Not today, but in the last few days.. upgraded from 2x8 =16GB KLEVV c16-3200 to 4x16 =64GB KLEVV c16-3200. I ordered it a month ago, when it was substantially cheaper :thumbup: .

I feel like someone with a 12" dick and not enough blood to get it up :lol: I have no reason or purpose for so much ram, other than just 'because I could'.

64GB is crazy and pointless for me, the most RAM I've ever had in any PC, but it still feels good just knowing its there :D

2. neRok

neRok Member

Did what I feel was some ghetto modding earlier, but the result looks pretty good, so maybe not :lol: To be fair though, I would have made some little brackets if I had some materials, but I'm not going to Bunnings, so I had nothing. Hence, went ghetto.

My old FX-8350 was in need of some VRM cooling;
    IMG_20200408_161303.jpg

Here's what I had to use. Some salvaged cable ties (hence the short length), and some rubber tube.
    IMG_20200408_161255.jpg

I attached the top of the fan to the top of the case with the cable ties. The 2 small "donuts" were for vibration spacers.
    IMG_20200408_162409.jpg

The long tube was going to be used with some more cable ties to fix the bottom of the fan to the top of the case "rigidly", like this;
    IMG_20200408_162428.jpg

But actually, the fan was sitting conveniently close to the water cooling tubes;
    IMG_20200408_162436.jpg

So I utilised them by cutting off another little donut, and cutting a groove in it to match the hose;
    IMG_20200408_163957.jpg

And then I jammed that fucker in there.
    IMG_20200408_164038.jpg

And now it is done. No pic, it was blurry.

Also the top cover still goes on. You can barely see the small lumps caused by the cable ties :tongue:
    IMG_20200408_163821.jpg

And here's a bonus picture, from another project I am working on - capturing some old vhs videos. The capture card was giving me drama on the above AM3+ Win10 machine, so I chucked it into this old AM2 machine with WinXP. Unfortunately this was the only PCI-E port on the small mobo (besides the GPU's), which is an Asus M3A78-EMH HDMI. I've posted about this beast on here before, because it's a terrible "franken-mobo", and doesn't officially have AM2+ CPU support, but I hacked the BIOS to change that :leet: But anyway, look at how it barely fits between the heatsinks (the GPU is an Asus EN7600GS SILENT), and presses against the capacitor :lol:

IMG_20200408_152246 (Medium).jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    Ratzz and adamsleath like this.
  3. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

Kids took turns waking during the night so I didn't get much sleep, managed to finish the FT02 build finally...

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

[​IMG]
    Still pretty easy to build in, although needs a better way to hide cables coming out of the PSU.

Gotta fix up those cables at the back too :upset:

Phong2209 likes this.
  4. Madchimp

Madchimp Member

Literally playing around reviving my black Fusion as I type this lol

Great case

5. combatant3219

combatant3219 Member

How did you mod the airflow?

I repasted my son's PS4 a while ago and more recently gave it another dust out, but it still sounds like a jet taking off. It's the original model. The slim in the living room is so much quieter.

6. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Finally got in a few parts (new thermal paste, a wifi card, keyboard) to use one of my old systems to give to my sister for her kids so I spent the evening replacing my very old HTPC that I never ended up using (with a Gigabyte X58 board) with my previous PC, a 4790k + 980.

Was a bit of a pain in the ass, this Silverstone HTPC case (GD09B ATX size) has some bizarre design choices. The addition of what you might call a "vertical" (but is horizontal in this case) additional expansion slot means the case requires multiple screws to fit in with the bracket across the middle of the case to fit the drive bay.

I easily enough took out the old board, removed the CPU and got started changing it over. I got everything done, put the board in and started screwing it to the stand-offs, got to the last one in the top middle and dropped the screw twice. Told myself I'd give it one more goal and then leave it, and it dropped into the fucking shadow realm and required me unscrewing the entire board and removing the CPU cooler to get it back.

The next thing was the drive bracket (which holds a DVD drive and a HDD in the bottom) now suddenly wouldn't fit back in. I ended up having to bend the bottom HDD mount area to get it to fit, and decided to just put the HDD in the top and leave the DVD drive out completely.

Then came 25 minutes of trying to fit that stupid bracket and the expansion slot cover back in. Pain the ass.

And lastly some "cable management" of a kind. For some reason this version of the case never bothered with normal front panel USB & Audio, it's all plugged into an expansion card which you can see at the bottom, sagging badly because it's one set of cables attached to an adapted which is itself plugged into the card. Stupid. It also requires it's own Sata power which really adds to the cable bulk (although it's a non-modular GPU so they'd still be in there).

I might go and see if it turns on in a while. I also have to see if I can find the spare logitech Micro USB cable that will be needed to charge the old G903 I was going to give my nephew.

upload_2020-4-17_21-25-29.png

7. www.com.au

www.com.au Member

Damn that must be noisy

8. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

It's not booting :< Gonna have to pull the whole thing apart.

edit - And I've got it back up running after test benching it. It appears the issue was the graphics card not mounting properly when in the case.

Edit 2- And the SSD is failing. Now reinstalling windows again on the old HDD.

Edit 3 - Finally done. It was a problem with the case causing the card not to fit in the slot properly AND cause the cable plugs to not go in properly. Hopefully it's all sorted now.

Edit 4 - Why did I tempt fate? The last thing I thought was "oh I haven't checked the audio yet". Laggy, stuttering mess constantly screwing with the audio & the system itself. Made it impossible to use.

Turns out the wifi card antennas not being pointed away from each other was causing it. Somehow. I don't know. But it fixed it instantly when I tried it after reading a post about it on another forum. Four hours after first seeing the problem.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  9. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

And on my gaming rig, I finally got around to sorting the issue where one of my fans would just ramp up at full bore ignoring the bios and only working with the Asrock software once the system was loaded.

Turns out the 4th, 5th & 6th headers on my z390 Taichi are buggy. You can get a fixed bios apparently if you need it via their support.

I was hoping it would be simple, but ended up having to take off my AIO to get at the headers, as I had to switch my AIO pump to one of the headers that doesn't work right with PWM control (the pump specific setting worked fine), and then I could move the fan header from the non-functional one into one of the first 3.

It's also made me look forward even more to the Phanteks P500A coming out so I can build in it when the 30xx GPU's come out. Inside my system now is a horrendous mess. It will be really nice to downsize from two cards to one, get all the fans in the back of the case setup on a a fan controller and replace the 2.5" ssd and go full "driveless" by filling the third m.2 slot instead.

10. joomax

joomax Member

3700x and b450i mobo came up in sale section (thanks raincloud!) so I bit the bullet
    Put everything into my awesome parvum x2.0 which i've been wanting to do for ageesssss - can't stand atx cases! so ugly and pointless

nvme m.2 drive is coming in the mail today hopefully so I'll be able to get everything reinstalled and ready to go again.

Only thing I need to do now is sort out the fans. Looking for 2 80mm fans to suit. Plus I have an ugly grey EK Vardar F2 on the front 140mm slot. Thinking about spray painting it black instead of forking out goddamn $50 for a noctua chromax black - any thoughts/experience on this?

Also, can someone fix the search function so that it picks up 3-letter words? impossible to search for anything relevant to "paint fan" - only reads "paint"...

www.com.au likes this.
  11. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

12. joomax

joomax Member

LOL just looked through my pm inbox - pretty sure this was actually your case!

13. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

Haha thats awesome! But also slightly concerning as I'm pretty sure i had the mATX version? :weirdo::wired:

14. joomax

joomax Member

haha i dunno could be - i actually have both versions here now from over the years. quite unique cases; I really enjoy them.

raincloudx likes this.
  15. joomax

joomax Member

Buying the AP81s - good suggestion. Thought about the BeQuiet ones but can't go past $9/fan and matching colour scheme.

Aaaand gonna try my hand at spray painting my EK fan... will report back :s

Last edited: May 12, 2020
    raincloudx likes this.
  16. joomax

joomax Member

Well I painted the fan and everything was fine. Then I spray painted the ugly cables on both the AP81s, then I spray painted some tape because I don't have/cbf going out to get any black leccy tape (of course the one time I don't have it...). Turns out it's quite addictive.

Did some reasonable cable management, added the m.2 drive that arrived the other day, rearranged my desk. Very happy with how it's looking. This is probably what my dream build has been for a few years now. Nothing spicy, just clean and fairly strong. Only thing I would consider upgrading now is some speakers that didn't cost $20...

newbuild.jpg setup.jpg

raincloudx likes this.
  17. combatant3219

combatant3219 Member

Highly recommend the Edifier 1280DB desktop speakers. They're regularly on sale for approx $100, look nice and have great sound clarity.

asho444 likes this.
  18. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

Looks really good! Thermals would be fairly decent too I’d imagine?

19. www.com.au

www.com.au Member

I think the thing I love most about this is the $800 monitor sitting on the empty shoe box

joomax likes this.
  20. asho444

asho444 Member

Literally what I was about to say! I love my pair. Nothing close to them at that price

combatant3219 likes this.