1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

What have you done to your PC today?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by brayway, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Samicans

Samicans Member

those are some sweet sweet builds but personally I like spit051261's build. its got the best airflow and personally looks the best although if he had some space to mount those rads that be a lot cleaner

2. museumman

museumman Member

on a plane with cocaine & yes im all lit up again
    Got a little done today. Flushed system and started fitting it up.

[​IMG]

brayway and DSTM (Dougie) like this.
  3. shredder

shredder Member

That thing's freakish looking. I mean in a cool way. I hardly even recognise it as a computer.

museumman likes this.
  4. hellaflush

hellaflush Member

[​IMG]

Reservoir and tubing to go after dinner/tomorrow

Elmf and m3k like this.
  5. asho444

asho444 Member

Just ordered a 1tb NVME ssd to upgrade the 500Gb sata, should be a nice jump and a new 200mm fan to finish the gengar build.

m3k likes this.
  6. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

One of my fan bearings on my MSI 980ti died last night. have order an replacement, but in the meantime I salvaged the fans of an old MSI 270x. straight swap thermals a few c higher but workable.

museumman likes this.
  7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Time for an upgrade on that gpu anyways? ; )

8. Elmf

Elmf Member

Overclocked an R9 270X and 2500k i've been playing around with. Who knew the R9 270X can still do 2k gaming so well for such an old card (it's a 4Gb version).

Plays Crysis 3 and GTA V on decent FPS while looking amazing. Super impressed.

Although, it's not the best clocker, didn't get the 1200 clock and 1500 memory I was hoping for :(

shane41 likes this.
  9. shane41

shane41 Member

Hardly done any OC with Amd/ Ati. Have the smaller HD7950 plugged in here and itching to get some scores
    Soon my precious :weirdo:

Elmf likes this.
  10. Elmf

Elmf Member

Me neither. I didn't bother trying too much on my R9 290X as it's hot as HELLLLLLLLLLL.

It warms the CPU up lol

11. emmjawsX

emmjawsX Member

Added some aliexpress barrow QDC's. Tube runs are a little messy but i wanted to just get them all in to make sure they didn't leak, plus they are easily replaceable now i guess :p

[​IMG]

I was originally going to run a pair off the side rad rather than the cpu but they require a decent grip to connect/disconnect so not enough space beside the top rad to get my fingers around. Ran a very quick stress test and no difference in temps - dual d5 probably helps a bunch.

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Nice. Needs more fans :p

Good setup though.

13. Phido

Phido Member

Ordered :
    3x dell 27 monitor s2721ds 1440 P $310x3
    GIGABYTE B550I AORUS PRO AX MITX board $280
    32GB DDR4 2x16 3200 cl16ram $150
    1Tb NVME kingston A2000 $149
    This is going to go into my Ncase M1 r2 silver.

Im all ready for Ryzen 4000.

For the nas:
    4 x 14tb elements (I don't even want to say how much that cost). 42TB in raid5.
    Node 304
    The 4790k +z97Iplusfrom my ncase will go into this

14. kjparker

kjparker Member

15. Phido

Phido Member

I do and I did.

A few points changed my mind
    • It will probably take between 24-48 hrs to rebuild. While annoying, that is not an impossible wait for a home server. I won't have a disk ready to go, so it will take a day to week to buy a replacement. The rebuild itself isn't a huge issue in terms of solving problems.
    • During that time the data is still accessible, and you should probably look at getting really important stuff off, and of course, you have backups right?!
    • Depending on how old the server is, you might just decommission it before the other drives fail. Sure 1-2 years old, replace the disk. 5 years old, maybe if the disks are cheap enough. 10 years old, that whole thing is probably going to recycling, disks and.
    • Mirroring 14tb on another 14tb drive wastes a lot of space. RAID1 gives me 24tb. RAID5 gives me 42TB. I almost double my storage with raid 5 (well 50%, but it feels more when we are talking big disks). This is also the argument I followed when people explained how pointless and wasteful 2 bay nas's were, particularly with large disks.
    So there we are.
    I also don't have a computer with ~46 Gb of ram as a freenas server. But Im told it shouldn't be a huge issue for a single person NAS.