What have you done to your PC today?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by brayway, Oct 1, 2010.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Definitely gotta ditch that (albeit great) air cooler in favour of an AIO especially considering it looks like it's a bit of a smaller case. Also swap out those two black Corsair fans for more of the white fans :thumbup:

2. savolion

savolion Member

Hopefully that will happen this week. Have a 240 ek aio and replacement fans on order. Also mounting the card vertical. Bit sad to see big Bertha go but I'm sure someone will be happy to pick up a cheap noctua

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

It's a great cooler, I had one, but I just found it cluttered my case way too much. So much cleaner look with a X62 AIO.

4. m3k

m3k Member

[​IMG]
    put one of those 3090s in

savolion and MR CHILLED like this.
  5. savolion

savolion Member

Damn, That looks amazing. I have almost finished my case today, just waiting on RGB controller to set the color scheme correctly. Im a big fan of how the card looks mounted vertically.
    [​IMG]

6. Elmf

Elmf Member

I built a rig a while ago based on higher end older parts. It's based on the OCAU mantra of being a tightass but collecting stuff you don't really need. Am I doing it right?

Intel i7 3970X overclocked to 4.45Ghz All Core
    4x4Gb 2400Mhz DDR3
    X79 Sabretooth MOBO
    Founders Edition Asus GTX1080 8Gb
    A lowly HX620 Corsair PSU - Could swap out for an RM750 but can't be assed - it does the job

Now for the part I specifically did TODAY

Replaced the Noctua NH-U12S which had shitty non PWM fans with a Fractal S36 Celcius 360mm AIO. Now the problem with this is that it doesn't fit in my 460X case. It was about 10mm off.

So - what I did...was I cut a hole in the 460X. With a dremel. It fits now, it's not 100% flush but you can barely tell. I also installed an EK vardar at the rear. Note the airflow is rear to front.

I can now keep all the fans on Silent mode in BIOS and it's barely audible on idle. Full load it's still not that loud at all and I dropped 8-13c at full load depending on core. I assume if I left it on longer than a standard IBT it would be much more stable temps too.

https://imgur.com/a/Wa8YihK

sammy_b0i cevtech SgtCaboose .Radiant
    Mixture of all your parts :)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  7. Elmf

Elmf Member

Realised the fans were not the right airflow path for the GPU...problem is now that i'm front to rear airflow my temps are even higher. How lame? I guess this case is shitty airflow and 3970X is just hot as hell?'

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Vertiocal mounting really sets the case off with a nice brand new spanking 3000 series card at the front :thumbup:

9. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

Well after 8 solid years of rocking my 3930k / Rampage IV Extreme / 32GB Trident X 2400MHz DDR3 / SLI EVGA GTX 1080's / CaseLabs Magnum SMH10 with a custom loop.. I have decided to upgrade, not that I had too, just felt like I was being left behind into the dust of ancient tech (well its not ancient but 8 years is almost tripled in PC years).

Currently rocking a AMD 3950x / ASUS STRIX x570-e Gaming / 32GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200Mhz / EVGA GTX 980 Classified (waiting for stock on RTX 3080) in a InWin 101 case I got off a mate (liked it alot for its minimal design). Will probably be replacing the fans again for something quieter.. right now it looks like a mardi gra parade.

3950x build.jpg

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    museumman, Phido, mad_mic3 and 2 others like this.
  10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Very clean! I had the exactly same ram (non RGB though) until recently, rock solid for the three years I had it, and when I dug the receipt out cost me $520 del originally :shock: I can't even believe I paid that much for it back then, lol.

11. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

I'm a big fan of G.Skill memory as I've never had any issues with them even from the basic low-end modules. Corsair on the other hand :Paranoid:

12. shane41

shane41 Member

Patriot :Paranoid: Team :Paranoid:

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I've just moved from G.Skill to Corsair (Ballistix) :p The Corsair will be fine, and I've always got that "lifetime" warranty ; )

14. ska'

ska' Member

Moved my setup into a Cooler-master NR200 and de-shrouded my PNY3080 / ghetto fan mounting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    T4orce, museumman and MR CHILLED like this.
  15. Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

Completed operation silence. Arctic P12/P14 fans, Scythe Mugen and braided 24Pin/PCIE cables. Simple, sleek, silver and black and quuuiiieeeet.

[​IMG]

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Nice. How are you finding the Artic fans in particular? I've grabbed a bunch but haven't installed them yet.

17. Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

I'm running them super low like 35% I think and they are extremely quiet. If you ramp them up they make noise like any fans but they don't have an annoying drone or clunk like the cheapies they replaced did at low RPM. For the price they were (circa $10ea) I think they are very very good and the Kazeflex on the Scythe is quiet even under load. PSU and GPU don't generally fire up unless I'm gaming etc. No mechanical drives either helps. NVME for the main drive and that ol Plextor as a secondary.

18. emmjawsX

emmjawsX Member

I left it half assed for 2 months, putting off buying a new roll of zmt until i ordered something else from a seller. In the mean time though...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Everything out of the 011 into the desk haphazardly connecting QDC's to make it fit makes for even worse tube runs. $30 mwave dollars will buy a roll of zmt to redo it though right? :p More pics/maybe a build log when i decide what i want to do with the left system and fix the rats nest of cables (management is so bad)

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I can't really judge, the picture is too dark :p Maybe best that way until the cable management done :leet:

Same, I left mech drives years ago, been running nvme ever since, for quietness and for clutter saving.

20. museumman

museumman Member

on a plane with cocaine & yes im all lit up again