What if I don't want the NBN... *shock horror*

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by aokman, Mar 9, 2017.

1. trevor68

trevor68 Member

My question is why do people think it would be a "small" number of users still on ADSL? In the small country towns where they are just lazily using fixed wireless pretty much no one I know is adopting it, they have a fine ADSL service now, why pay more for wireless?

So realistically it might never be shut off if the gauge for that is simply if telstra is still making cash out of it. :lol:

2. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

Oh dont worry they will end up on the NBN. There are plenty of people that will be worse off pushed from their cable connections to VDSL or ADSL to wireless, it has already happened.

But anyone complaining is automatically a minority and either selfish or insignificant. Bow to your NBN overlords like the good little sheep you are...

3. caspian

caspian Member

Telstra will shut off both the copper and the ADSL quite smartly once there are is <3% of the users the network was built to accommodate using it. the cost of maintaining the network will overcome the profits to be made from continuing to operate it.

also, I predict Telstra will simply cease spending any form of operational maintenance on it. once it fails, you're dead in the water or change.

people need to internalise that they really have no viable option other than to switch.

4. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

trust me, we're ready, we're still waiting on multi access fibre diversity and TC-2 ;)

Hell, let me bypass the NTU and go straight into an SPF+ and I'm there.

Although I'm a different type of NBN customer, the type who does gives a fuck about lack of contention because I need my 8 class QOS model to work.

The internets, that's for the scavengers ;)

5. BAK

BAK Member

Yes, because that's how democracy works. Labor = FTTP, Liberals != FTTP, Liberals elected. There's a number of different factors, but that's essentially what it boils down to.

6. caspian

caspian Member

not sure of the first, but the second should be here in up to 100Mbps symmetrical in 10Mbps increments before the end of the financial year.

how would you like an NTD built into an SFP? I supply the fibre and the SFP, you provide the WAN socket to plug it into.

yep, that's it. people need to deal with politics, because it's reality. the juvenile snark being expressed here is just a reflection on the lack of maturity involved.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  7. cvidler

cvidler Member

Once you have your TC2 connection, can you not jsut tunnel your QoS tagged traffic over it, NBN no care for your tags, and you have contention free access to use it over.

@Caspian
    Can one get a private VPN over the NBN - no ISP/internet involvement?
    Say I have two site on the same POI can I get full 100/100 between them?

And are there any peerings to DC's ?

I'm guessing while it may be technically possible, it's not in the NBN's business plan/service catalogue?

8. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

Believe this is the case. All data needs to go out via a CVC to an external server and then back in again.

9. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

that's the go from what i know, my understanding was (early docs) the NTD stripped / rewrote presented DSCP tags on a TC-4 service.

With TC-2 (haven't and don't currently have time to review the latest docs) I'm more so seeking clarification that the NTD / service type offered will bi-directionally honor / pass the presented tags, saving me doing double encapsulation.

quoting caspian from Feb 2013:
    With today's snapshot of the NBN business lineup, I'm wondering how NBN will / won't map my 8 internal classes to the NBN 4 tier model. Will it honor my DSCP-EF and tag that as TC-1 up to a bitrate, although with caspian's later comments about the NBN not being a contended network I'm feeling more comfortable shoveling everything into TC-2.

with G711 at 50pps, jitter / speech reintegration is pretty critical for me along with associated signalling, I've got years of network performance statistics to measure it against.

I'd love fibre to SFP, although 100mbit sounds a bit lackluster, still easier for me to use 'the incumbent' for gigabit L2 to a remote datacentre, not to mention saves paying twice :p

10. caspian

caspian Member

the only point to point products I know of will be direct fibre links. at that stage the limitation becomes what you're willing to pay for in terms of DWDM transmission bandwidth. I can do you anything from 1Gbps to about 3.8Tbps if you need it. :lol:

@SupremeMoFo - the closest I can come is the business ethernet product being dropped towards the end of the financial year. that doesn't use the existing CVC model any more. since it's 1:1 every service basically gets its own CVC, but there's less cost due to not needing to support complexities like multiple traffic classes, or VLAN nesting.

11. caspian

caspian Member

gigabit will be available, and that's just until we crack out the WDM-PON gear and you're looking at 10G or more.

12. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

Can I buy P2P L2 wholesale access direct under contract from nbn?

DC-2-DC at 10G for under a thousand a month, ex gst?

13. caspian

caspian Member

no idea, sorry. I build things and fix busted stuff. :D

14. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

Yes because all the name calling, labelling etc is really mature.

15. XtehseA

XtehseA Member

I know its not related directly to this thread, but since this the big NBN thread.

Does anyone know if there are any plans to move people stuck with 3rd party providers, such as Opticomm, to the NBN network or are they being left alone?

16. caspian

caspian Member

depends on whether the area is deemed "adequately serviced" or not. I know that my estate is a mix of both Opticomm and Telstra Velocity networks and it all falls under that heading. if so, then the current publicly announced plan is there is no immediate requirement to competitively service those areas.

some light reading on the subject:

https://www.communications.gov.au/d...facilitate-rollout-national-broadband-network

https://www.communications.gov.au/w...work#no-double-upthe-adequately-served-policy

if you don't want the behaviour called out, then don't exhibit it. act like a child, get treated like a child.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  17. XtehseA

XtehseA Member

Appreciate the information.

Is there a map of showing networks that meet the NBN's criteria?

From the quick reading of the PDF of the process, it could mean further down the track when the NBN services do push up to 1GB + speeds, the networks that have been left alone will have to be revisited so hopefully Butler does get revisited, if its classified as "adequately served"

Cheers

18. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

So I've got FTTH NBN via one of the bargain basement providers.

Am I correct in thinking that I can get internet services from other providers connected to different ports on the NTD?

Is there something specific I need to do or ask for when applying with Provider2 to make sure that they don't 'remove the codes' or any of the fuckery that used to happen when churning ADSL?

19. Copie

Copie Member

You can order upto 4 services you can use any provider

20. caspian

caspian Member

not that that I'm aware of. even http://nbnmtm.australiaeast.cloudapp.azure.com/nbnmtm.html doesn't show it clearly. in my estate I'm down as a "TBC" but the Opticomm areas are shown as "other". and the boundaries don't line up with where I know the two networks meet. I don't know where their data comes from, if it's accurate or not being interpreted correctly etc, but if you were on the boundary of an area you could well get the wrong impression.

hopefully so, the additional choice of providers would be nice to have, plus the wider choice of product offerings.

yes, each port is independently addressable by an access seeker.

if the access seeker is applying for a new service, they can't pick a port with an existing service on it, so they can't interference with a service you already have. they would have to deliberately select the churn process to do that.