What if I don't want the NBN... *shock horror*

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by aokman, Mar 9, 2017.

1. bcann

bcann Member

Hey Caspian,

Is it possible for a business to get a second Fibre + NTD installed in one premise for redundancy?

2. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

How is it redundant when it goes to the same node? You are just pushing the point of failure 1 hop away.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  3. Copie

Copie Member

Fiber doesn't go to a node.

4. Gunna

Gunna Member

If you use the same carrier then chances are it would all go to the same conduit. We have an MPLS with Level3 and a TID fibre service with Telstra. They are in separate conduits in an effort to maintain redundancy.

We then have the fibre from the MDF taking separate paths in the building in an effort to also reduce downtime in the event of a fire in our building.

5. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

The point is still valid.
    Both fibres will go back to the same location therefore no redundancy.

6. caspian

caspian Member

the current business rules are that a second NTD only gets installed if all ports on the first one are used. so you'd need to order 5 data services (or 3 UNI-V services) to make it happen.

the fibre would end up in the same conduit group, possibly the same pipe. maybe a different cable, maybe not. it may or may not end up on the same PON, but if no then it means a different PON port, possibly on a different line card, possibly on a different chassis.

you won't have any visibility of that though, so it is best to assume the redundancy is only at the NTD level.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  7. wolfie81

wolfie81 Member

Semi off topic rant. Scheduled for Telstra technicians to confirm box up and running at the home. Don't even turn up to the appt.

8. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

yes but unlikely before 2019/2020, see ES001/003 below.

NONco network design rules:
    http://www.nbnco.com.au/content/dam/nbnco2/documents/network-design-rules.pdf

GPON Design:

how else will they achieve ES003 (2019+, maybe 2019++, hell possibly 2019++++)
    http://www.nbnco.com.au/content/dam/nbnco/documents/Integrated-Product-Roadmap.pdf

ES004 comes back to my question to caspian as to whether NBNco will fuck off my 8 class QOS model DSCP tags on TC-2 or whether i need to wait for NBNco to roll out something more fit for purpose that aligns with our needs.

all of this is far beyond the 'my internets have congestion' crowd. hence why these products have ES, Enterprise Services.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  9. caspian

caspian Member

at the moment the only traffic classes available are for TC-1 voice, TC-2 priority data and TC-4 best effort data.

if you order a service default mapped to a single traffic class then the NTD will ignore any DSCP tag you add and remap the packet to the provisioned traffic class.

if you order a service with mutiple traffic classes addresses by DSCP tag, your tag value must match the range corresponding to a provisioned traffic class or it will be remarked to the TC-4 traffic class.

the DSCP values and corresponding traffic classes are in table 12 of page 18 of this document. description of the UNI priority encoding behaviour as regards DSCP is in the bullt points above the table.

if you need 8 QoS tags then you're going to need to encapsulate them and not present them to the NBN network.

10. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

:thumbup::thumbup:

/me holding fire to see what 2019++ brings ;)

11. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

Why would Telstra send a technician for that? What exactly were they meant to check? More details needed.

12. caspian

caspian Member

for some reason Telstra do that. I can see a reason if you needed internal house wiring rearranged to feed voice back to the gateway, but that aside they have been doing self install kits for years and this isn't any harder.

13. Smoke87

Smoke87 Member

This isn't true but you have to be firm and polite about your requirements. Establish a bargaining position by first requiring something ridiculous and then negotiating to the alternative preferred solution ;-)

I had the guys run the cable from the street side to the other side of my house, double story, through conduit, lifted roof tiles and drilled render to do it.

14. 7nothing

7nothing Member

I wouldn't want to switch to NBN, cos I'd lose the free digital rain gauge that comes with my DSL.

Click to view full size!

Yep. Definitely a fair amount of rain. I'd hate to have internet fast enough to stream a webcam and actually see what's happening outside.

15. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  16. caspian

caspian Member

not really tapping into another estate, there's just a temporary cable path around Clyde to the east, then up to Patterson Rd to skip around the roadworks. combination of a temp cable run and borrowing some other cable not currently in use.

17. Copie

Copie Member

18. millsy

millsy Member

I must say, even with water bubbling out the Telstra pits in my area the FTTN was working fine. Though I think that might be due to the change of cabling with FTTN vs ADSL2 but who knows

19. millsy

millsy Member

Yeah friend of mine was in a large relatively new Metro QLD service and actually had to use satellite for a while because there was no ADSL2 ports spare

20. Copie

Copie Member

These estates have nothing, no copper in the ground, no fiber, no presence of any kind of fixed line infastructure at all. There are conduit and concrete pads inplace but thats it, been like that for at least 3 years.

I was looking at buying in there and decided against it luckily.