What if I don't want the NBN... *shock horror*

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by aokman, Mar 9, 2017.

1. stevenx

stevenx Member

There should be no future apart from fibre to the premises. Everything else is temporary. We know what the future is, and I don't think anybody should feel obligated to support something so broken as the NBN when there are perfectly suitable, better performing, short-to-medium-term alternatives out there.

100/100 with Uniti is worth a bunch more than $300 per month :sick: 100 down is nice, but 100 up makes all the difference for our business. Their 50/10 plans are pretty damn good too, without CVC congestion associated with many NBN providers.

2. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

I will pay for it if its going to be faster and a deem a need for it... I am not going to pay an extra $20 a month for the same speed... not to mention paying to have the line fitted.

The only thing I need is more upload which HFC isn't going to deliver anyway, my 21mbit down is already fast enough as I don't stream

If I wanted cable at $100 a month, I could have done it 5yrs ago.

3. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

I'm in the same boat (kinda).

I get (officially) 35Mbit / 1Mbit HFC Telstra Cable where I am.

More often than not though it acts like a 50Mbit / 5Mbit connection though.. I love it!

But when the NBN comes in our area as not all homes were on the HFC network, they are saying it'll be FTTN. Not sure what that means for us with HFC, as it won't be mixed mode!

4. caspian

caspian Member

aokman, regardless of preference, you're not going to be able to maintain your ADSL connection once the copper disconnect date is reached. if you want a terrestrial connection it will have to be HFC.

actually, NBN inject the circuit ID of the connection into the DHCP REQ themselves to allow the ISP to identify the service the request is coming from. plus some other information depending on the type of connection.

an area is one technology or the other. if they have designated yours as FTTN then the HFC will be shut down.

5. McRutch

McRutch Member

I was lead to believe HFC would have its upload speeds bumped to 40Mbps once it was NBN owned, not just the 1/2 Mbps Telstra & Optus HFC currently has.

6. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

how does that sit in terms of delivery of cable TV services?

7. caspian

caspian Member

the shutdown is only for data services. video is not affected.

8. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

ok.
    i had been wondering about that.

9. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

Correct me if Im wrong but HFC is a shares medium regardless of ISP... my friends grinds to a halt after school etc regardless of ISP.

10. SpaceFrog

SpaceFrog Member

I stopped stressing about monthly Internet costs a while ago.

I started examining all the other costs in my life, and stepping down to a cheaper plan/provider isn't worth it.

Currently paying $94.95 with Internode for 100mb, split 2 ways with the housemate. Works out to be about $11 a week each. If we were paying $70 p/m we'd each save $3 a week.

So... I could almost pay for a good coffee every week, but have worse internet which I use, almost every waking hour.

I am lucky to have FTTP, and it's been one of the main reasons my address hasn't changed in 3 years.

*pours out a few drops of energy drink on to the ground, looks solemny at the sky. This is for all those lost packets, homies getting high on latency, Respawn in Peace...

11. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

I'm thoroughly confused. aokman from your posts here you have an utterly massive disposable income based on your purchases (LG OLED TV, flagship nVidia GPU's, VR gear etc) but $20 per month or other extra costs to get a new connection are an issue?

EDIT: I can understand the concern with regards to HFC congestion though. Could always move to Darwin, FTTP everywhere. Shame it's Darwin though.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  12. power

power Member

eh, you don't have money for toys by throwing it away on things you don't need :thumbup:

13. caspian

caspian Member

fibre services are a shared medium too at the PON level, which is analogous to the HFC coax cable itself. so is the backhaul from a DSLAM, or that from a HFC node to the CMTS and the CMTS to the core network, or a fibre OLT to the network.

those components are carefully monitored and managed so that congestion does not occur.

if you get congestion during peak periods, it's usually CVC based. (for terrestrial connections, anyway.)

14. McRutch

McRutch Member

Does your friend have NBN HFC? If so then yes it is a shared cable regardless of ISP, existing HFC prior to NBN is either optus or telstra only, some areas have both cables which you will see at different heights on power poles.

Peak issues on cable is normally node congestion, telstra being much better than optus, most of optus HFC areas are being scrapped for FTTN or FTTdp.

So if you're in an area keeping HFC, it's likely an existing telstra network which will be fine.

15. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

Exactly...

I don't understand how being able to pay an extra $20 a month for internet means that I should have to for exactly the same end result. I like keeping my monthly costs low.

Can I pay more per month... sure... but why should I for the same service. Likewise why do they have the legal right to kick me off a perfectly viable service and force me on to another one that costs more, it is basically a forced monopoly. Can't believe the ACCC hasn't even investigated this. If I want ADSL in my area I can have it, if i want cable in my area, I can have it. Why the hell does it even need to be touched in the first place.

I will admit I have prejudice against the NBN in its current form but I think it is ridiculous that I am being forced to support it financially when I don't agree with it nor want it.

Are you stalking me lol...

Yes he does which is the point I am making, he gets crap speeds during peak no matter what, even slower than my ADSL2+

Everything is underground in our area which poses another issue as we are on a subdivided block and we don't even know if it is serviceable.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  16. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

How does it compare with a TPG 400Mbps symmetrical fixed-line service...

17. MrSnuffy

MrSnuffy Member

If it's < 40m, then they should install it where you want it.

As for not migrating to the NBN. Talk to your ISP about how long they will continue providing DSL services in your area. The copper cut-off may be some years away for you.

18. caspian

caspian Member

the NBN is coming like it or not. yes it's legal, yes it's been agreed to by the government and ACCC and anyone else who matters, and no there's nothing you can do about it.

accept this and move on, dude.

19. power

power Member

The issue is this, the copper is old, it is getting replaced as it has become expensive to maintain.

Ergo, your costs may effectively go up as you use something that is less viable because less and less people will use it.

20. MrSnuffy

MrSnuffy Member

If you are getting NBN delivered over HFC ... then you will have the same speeds available as people get with FTTH now ... and for the foreseeable future.

This is basically the case whether your HFC is from the Telstra (DOCSIS) or Optus (FTTdp) networks.