1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

What is a good HD camcorder?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by anthonyl, May 22, 2010.

1. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

I am reading various problems with AVCHD with regard to editing software etc etc.

Can anyone recommend a good HD camcorder?

2. brad57

brad57 Member

The Red One's got a reasonable reputation.

And the Sony PMW350K isn't too bad either. Depends on the form factor you're after, I guess.

3. OP
    OP
    anthonyl

anthonyl Member

Hahaha..nice one..I get it.

Sorry I forgot to mention....I'm not George Lucas or Steven Spielberg.

Those are hardly your typical "family HD camcorder". lol.

4. Athiril

Athiril Member

The Samsung U10 then would be a good typical 'family HD camcorder', small, portable, light, in-expensive, big marketing :) (full HD, 1080p, 25fps).

A 550D, 7D, or 5DII with follow focus rig and 24-105L and 30/1.4 or perhaps something like a Sony Z7, or Panasonic AG-AF100 for the Señor Spielbergo non-union Mexican equivalent of Steven Spielberg in you.

5. N.E.R.D_BOI

N.E.R.D_BOI Member

I'd seriously consider Sony's NEX-5 Camera. You'll get very close quality to that of the HDSLRs but is far better suited for the family as it offers persitent/constant AF just like camcorders and you don't need to mess around with manual exposure controls.

Just look at the size of the APS-C CMOS Sensor compared to that of a camcorder and you'll get the idea of the leap in IQ you'll get.
    [​IMG]

You've got the option to record in MPEG4 as well as AVCHD.

Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2gfQ8nxTBs

6. csimpson

csimpson Member

7. Athiril

Athiril Member

I've found conflicting info, stating the NEX3 does up to 720p while the NEX5 does 1080i, 720p is better imho.

Here we go:
    • AVCHD: 1920 x 1080i @ 17Mbps
    • MP4: 1440 x 1080i @12Mbps

Hmmmm.

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  8. OP
    OP
    anthonyl

anthonyl Member

So the NEX 5 would be better?

9. Athiril

Athiril Member

Those are the details for the NEX-5 it doesn't mention 720p strangely. Sony's older handycam cameras, the "professional" range (xlr inputs) use MPEG-2 ("HDV") @ 25mbps for 1440x1080i, I cant imagine 17mbps for H.264 (AVCHD) would be somehow worse.

NEX-3 says its 9 mbps @ 720p, MPEG-4 (the part-2 kind, not H.264/AVCHD), thats a tough choice, 720p has more vertical resolution without combing.. the other has a better codec with better bitrate.. :/

I'd only use these for home family movies kinda thing. Not for anything important.

Even with the lower bitrate they're likely to be better than smaller format cameras for image quality, as noise takes a lot of bandwidth to compress.

10. N.E.R.D_BOI

N.E.R.D_BOI Member

its 1080i for AVCHD and 1440x1080p for MP4.

Edit: here's the link http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/NEX5/NEX5VIDEO.HTM

11. OP
    OP
    anthonyl

anthonyl Member

Is there anything comprable to the NEX 5?

12. SyN

SyN Member

the NEX 3 :lol:

13. N.E.R.D_BOI

N.E.R.D_BOI Member

There's also the Panasonic GF1 and Olympus EP1 but the NEX-5 APS Sensor is better than the micro four thirds sensor.
    Then there's the Canon HDSLR range but they are better suited for the film maker or enthusiast. The manual controls and lack of constant AF will just annoy the average user even with a follow focus.

The way i see it, you get a stills and video camera (and a damn good one) all in one. I'm probably gonna pick one up because of it's portability in size to go along with my 5DII & 7D. It's especially useful for holidays and family outings when you don't want to be lugging around a huge camera.

I think it comes down to preference. I actually see the traditional camcorder body being at a disadvantage. As a videographer, i've used Camcorder setups with 35mm adapters and the extended length & weight at the front end makes it very awkard to hold.
    This is definitely something i'm wondering how Sony will overcome when they release this camcorder.

The NEX-5 body i think is very handy, you can sneak it into places like concerts and sports events where you normally would not be allowed to bring a camera

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  14. OP
    OP
    anthonyl

anthonyl Member

Any idea on a sale date for the NEX 5? Also would be interested in the 18-200 (?) lens.

15. N.E.R.D_BOI

N.E.R.D_BOI Member

I think late June seems to be the local date. Not too sure about the 18-200 lens though.

16. Athiril

Athiril Member

It's definately at an attractive price point.

I wonder if pulling the 1440x1080p (apparently) down to 1280x720 would result in better image quality than the Nex-3, since its the same codec and the Nex-3 has more bitrate per pixel..

17. zhenjie

zhenjie Member

Forget the Nex3-Nex5, they are not video friendly. If you want full control over your videos with the added bonus of DSLR and m4/3 lens look at the Panasonic GH1. Just check Vimeo for some of the awesome videos shot with this camera.

18. OP
    OP
    anthonyl

anthonyl Member

It's quite expensive.... How does it compare with the Canon DSLR equivalents (ones that do HD movies)?

19. zhenjie

zhenjie Member

IMO, the lens are better as they are specially made for video and film. Silent continuous focus,etc.

Expensive, but cheaper then Canon equivalents especially when purchased overseas. Many chose the GH1 over the 7D for film work.

20. N.E.R.D_BOI

N.E.R.D_BOI Member