1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

What is a good HD camcorder?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by anthonyl, May 22, 2010.

1. Athiril

Athiril Member

We're not talking stills here, the GH1 has a higher resolution and hence sharper video image than the Sony NEX's.

Both cameras will make 100% sharp usage of their given video resolution size, the Sony is however 1080i or 1440x1080p (anamorphic resolution) if indeed thats p and not also formed from two interlaced frames.

The GH1 is 60fps in 1280x720p and 24fps in 1920x1080p (stored in 60i format for the U.S. market).

GH1 is 17mbps H.264/AVCHD, where as the NEX-5 is 17mbps H.264/AVCHD @ 1080i60.

NEX-5 has half the vertical resolution essentially and is only as sharp in non/slow moving picture. But effectively has the equivalent of 30fps of 1920x1080p data to encode in 17mbps vs the GH1 of 24fps.

Effectively all things equal, the GH1 should be sharper.

The 1440x1080'p' mode (if it is true progressive) is 12mbps.

1920x1080p vs 1440x1080p, which is potentially the sharpest? On top of that the GH1 is 17mbps @ 24fps, compare it to the 1440x1080p NEX-5 mode and the GH1 has more bitrate per pixel per frame, and then AVCHD is more efficient than normal MPEG-4.

Though the NEX is considerably cheaper by the looks, for specifically wanting a HD camera to record video as the OP wants, I'd be looking at comparisons.

Here is a subjective non-scientific comparison of GH1 to other systems. The SX1 IS looks like it would fit the bill for the OP from the test video.

2. N.E.R.D_BOI

N.E.R.D_BOI Member

I'm just trying to demonstrate how much better the sensor is. Video resolution & Sharpness alone does not equate to a better picture. You also have to consider the amount of noise and detail you bring in. I'm sure you already know that sensor size plays a huge role in this especially in difficult lighting conditions.

Going by your argument the SX1 IS would definitely fit the bill, but so would a Sony Bloggie or any pocket camcorder than can capture at 1080p. But that alone does not determine IQ.

But i'm not going to argue which is one better as I wouldn't hesitate recommending the GH1. It's a great a camera. I'm just throwin it out there, that in the world of cameras including video, bigger is better in terms of sensor size.

3. OP
    OP
    anthonyl

anthonyl Member

I like to shoot images in Raw too so that rules out the SX1 IS.

I have been reading about dedicated "camcorders" like the
    Panasonic HDC-SD700...

1920 x 1080p full High Definition video in 1080/50p mode.

Looks like it does great still images too.

4. zhenjie

zhenjie Member

Sensors mean squat really in this comparison. As mentioned above the NEX5 lacks in HD video in many areas other then manual controls. Even for a simple run and gun setup a GH1 is far better. But having said that, the new NEX models that focus more on HD will certainly have big advantages over the GH1 if Sony does it right.

anthonyl, do you want ability to do Film like shots/ Such as shallow DOF? Its hard to do that with regular consumer camcorders. I guess the main thing is what sort of shooting you plan on doing.

5. OP
    OP
    anthonyl

anthonyl Member

Im not a pro by any means..I have a large family (6 kids) ..lots of birthdays etc etc. Have had still cameras for ages and want something that will shoot "reasonable" still shots and HD video.(we have 3 HDTV's).

So something of an allrounder I guess.

I have been reading rave reviews of the Panasonic HDC-SD700... and it shoot quite good still images and very good HD video.

And the price...(around $1300.00) is about where I want to be.

6. Athiril

Athiril Member

Sharpness = detail, the NEX is fighting an uphill battle with it's video resolution and bitrate with chosen codec for the 1440x1080 mode.

Allegedly GH1 has the 'best' H.264 implementation (lol) and people argue over that it's compression provides better image than the 5D II because it has 2 processor and more power to put into encoding (even when Canon confirmed a single Digic IV is actually capable of 50 and 60 fps on 1080p iirc).

That test you provided is also a test of lens vs lens, and is uesless since the OP is interested in the 18-200.

Again, noise is not a problem if you look at the crop, that's hardly the magnification for video, the GH1 is not a small sensor.

Sensor size means crap if you put your video into anamorphic resolution or interlace it, or use shitty compression.

7. zhenjie

zhenjie Member

Compare footage of the SD700 with something like the GH1 on Vimeo. This is a nice example of the shots you can do with the kit lens (http://vimeo.com/7153923). If I wanted to capture best the moments for my family, I'd go something with interchangle/SLR type lenses.

edit: But I guess the GH1 might be slightly out of price range. ~$1400-1500 landed from the USA.

8. SyN

SyN Member

a d3000 + 18-200 wont be much bigger than nex5 + 18-200
    but much better handling

mirrorless interchangeables are all about small quality primes

9. OP
    OP
    anthonyl

anthonyl Member

The D3000 dosn't do video though..does it?

10. Athiril

Athiril Member

Someone didn't read the thread title. Or the OP. Or any post since then.

:p

11. OP
    OP
    anthonyl

anthonyl Member

I have read all the posts...but as I said..Im not George Lucas / Spielberg or about to make AVATAR 3..I just want to make "family movies" and take reasonable still photos.

The panasonic camcorder with 14Mpixels gets rave reviews so Ill probably go with that.

12. SyN

SyN Member

okok! d5000 then!

13. OP
    OP
    anthonyl

anthonyl Member

Hmmmm..insider at Sony told me that NEX-5 will be available MID-JUNE here in Aus.....decisions decision!!

14. Athiril

Athiril Member

Was referring to SyN :)

15. OP
    OP
    anthonyl

anthonyl Member

Picked up the Panasonic HDC-SD 700 camcorder today....:cool:

16. ehor

ehor Member

If you don't need to change lenses then have a look at the Sony HX5. The image stabilisation on it is awesome.

17. OP
    OP
    anthonyl

anthonyl Member

So...now that I have my camcorder...can anyone suggest some editing software....something where I can add music...special effects..something I dont need a degree in astrophysics to understand?

Cheers

18. csimpson

csimpson Member

Windows Live Movie Maker.

19. icebreaka

icebreaka Member

Sony Vegas Movie Studio is pretty easy to use..

20. zhenjie

zhenjie Member

Congrats on the purchase. Not a bad run and gun camcorder at all. I'd recommend investing in a wide angle converter for indoor shots. Even a .7x would help.