1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

What is AIO?

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by DaveQB, Sep 22, 2021.

1. DaveQB

DaveQB Member

This is a real noob question but am I right in thinking that an All In One CPU cooling solution is all you need; no other assumed parts already setup? I had a look at the stickys but couldn't work out if AIO covers the list of what you need to get going.

Obviously first time dipping my toe in the water cooling world.

Thank you.

2. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

As long as the aio that takes your fancy is compatible with your CPU socket it will be all included

The main components in a water cooling loop are a CPU block, a pump, a radiator, fans and coolant hoses, all of which are attached together on an aio cooler

DaveQB likes this.
  3. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Yes, an AIO will have the radiator and pump & block all attached together with fans included, as well as the mounting plates, though double check the mounting in case you're adding it to an old CPU.

The only thing you might need would be a thermal paste as the ones included with the block aren't usually the best. But if you're on a budget and not using a particularly powerful CPU it might not be needed to spend the extra $10/$15/$20 on a different paste.

DaveQB likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    DaveQB

DaveQB Member

Thanks for the replies mesaoz macktheknife

Next question then. You never (need to?) replace the coolant in an AIO?

5. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

AIO's are (barring some very minor exceptions you're not likely to run into) by design closed systems, intended for run for (in most cases) a minimum of 3 years without issue, and a general intended lifespan of 5+

DaveQB likes this.
  6. 151528

151528 Member

DaveQB likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    DaveQB

DaveQB Member

Thanks macktheknife and 151528 :thumbup:

Specifically, I was looking at the Cooler Master ML360.

Leads me to another question :)

If a case says it has, say, 240mm fan spot in the rear, can one assume that a 240mm radiator will also fit or there's specific needs for a radiator vs just the fan dimensions?

Thank you.

macktheknife likes this.
  8. AllezAllez

AllezAllez Member

Best bet is to google the heck out of it and image search for your case with AIO or "Water cooled" as a keyword.

- Look for radiator + fan thickness. Often there is enough space for the footprint of your AIO, but installing it might be tricky.
    - Check out the orientation and length of the tubing on the AIO.
    - AIO models are generally always correlated to fan sizes. So 240 fans will match with 240 AIO models. The cooler master you listed is 360 (3 x 120mm) so won't fit.

Example below:
    This guy has a 240 AIO installed, but was forced to use extra slim fans to clear the PSU.
    He also had to install a fan grille on his rear fan to stop the tubing from interfering with it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    151528 likes this.
  9. 151528

151528 Member

There is certainly different requirements for radiator+fan clearance as opposed to just fans, as it will be deeper (fan+rad takes up more space than just fan, naturally) and may interfere with other parts, mobo heatsinks, gpu, etc

But mounting holes should usually still line up fine

AllezAllez likes this.
  10. juzz86

juzz86 Member

:) :thumbup:

11. OP
    OP
    DaveQB

DaveQB Member

Thanks everyone.

Yes, I am seeing cases listing their radiator capacity and fan capacity seperately. Often the same though, but not always. Hence that lead me to ask this question.

Yes, thank you. I gather that. I just used rear in my example, as I figured that is a good location where a little extra protrusion for a radiator+fan shouldn't be a problem, trying to isolate my question to the mounting mechanism differences between fan and fan+radiator.

Good information. Thank you.

Thank you, thank you. That's what I was thinking, but didn't know.

I think some of this info would be good for an AIO sticky or added to an existing sticky or maybe I am the only person with these questions

12. O-B-E-L-I-X

O-B-E-L-I-X Member

Which case do you have or want to buy? Such a big radiator, 360mm, would probably go best in the front of the case.

DaveQB likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    DaveQB

DaveQB Member

I was thinking the CM694 and mounting the AIO up top.

14. 151528

151528 Member

That'll work, that case reminds me a little of the old cm690 (I guess it is in the name heh..)

Do you need the 5.25 bays or mounting space for hdd's?

DaveQB likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    DaveQB

DaveQB Member

Ha! Yeah. It is the new version of the CM690. Well spotted.

I had no idea cases didn't have these standard these days. I can't let go :lol:
    I do like having HDD bays in the case that allows me to hot swap disks, using SATA connection in the back. Maybe USB 3 is as fast now though anyway :confused:

16. Squatting_Tiger

Squatting_Tiger Member

This was $129 at Umart last night, didn't pull the trigger then, now back up to $179, fml

17. 151528

151528 Member

I wont lie, I don't actually know if external usb3 drives have caught up in speed... I do know that as soon as I realised how fast ssd's are, I stopped bothering with hdd's and subsequently the cases that could hold them, and I was a late adopter truth be told

Funny that the last case I bought with 5.25 bays was a CM690 :leet:

One thing to consider is that cases without cd/hdd bays in the front are typically a lot easier for mounting hardware, given the extra space. A lot of cases now have space for a few hdd's down at the base of the case near the psu, and keep the front completely clear for airflow, making it super easy to mount fans/radiator at the front and the top

O-B-E-L-I-X likes this.
  18. OP
    OP
    DaveQB

DaveQB Member

Oh what!? I have a number of Umart tabs open, one with that case. It was out of stock last I looked though.
    Bugger.

They also did a snap deal on the CM ML360 AIO that I just missed.

I see. I have a stack (about 25) HDDs with long term storage that I access occasionally and randomly.

You're the right person for this thread then.

I see. The CM694 has 3 HDDs racks at the front that all can be removed to run a 360mm radiator at the front. So I figured I'd be getting the best of both worlds with it.

This 1min video is good marketing for the case -->

19. 151528

151528 Member

Having hdd's to fill it certainly makes a difference :lol: I don't have any strong arguments not to go for it, just my personal preference for case design, though I do like the mesh top/front look of the cm69x series

It might actually be worth looking into usb3/vs sata speeds though, as I do reckon these docks provide a lot more convenience over opening a case each time you want to swap drives

Buy Orico 6629US3-C 2-Bay USB 3.0 HDD Docking Station - Black | Hard Drives & SSDs | Scorptec Computers

20. OP
    OP
    DaveQB

DaveQB Member

Well that's the reason for the 5.25" bays, to not open the case :)
    Currently have a 3 bay 5.25" SATA HDD dock that's not made any more. Same in use as this single unit --> https://www.umart.com.au/ICY-BOX--I...y-less-Rack-for-3-5--SATA-SSD-HDD_31550G.html

Figured I'd buy 2 of them for the CM694 and call it done.

151528 likes this.