1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the best CPU for Asus Crosshair VII Hero WiFi mobo?

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by DerekP, Mar 8, 2022.

1. DerekP

DerekP Member

I'm thinking of upgrading my Ryzen which is a 2700X on the Asus board. But i don't know what the board is capable of or if there's much point unless the chip is cheap. It's a X470 chipset.

https://rog.asus.com/au/motherboards/rog-crosshair/rog-crosshair-vii-hero-wi-fi-model/

Thinking also of using the 2700X for my unRAID box if i can get a board inexpensively. Is that a dumb idea? I run Dockers and the occasional VM but nothing hardcore.

Thanks.

nope likes this.
  2. Borg3:16

Borg3:16 Member

3. randomman

randomman Member

2700x isn't a bad processor and would be overkill just for some containers and a VM. What are your full specs? Maybe you're better off upgrading something else.

4. Nian

Nian Member

In less than a month, the best will be the Ryzen 7 5800X3D for the ASUS Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi).

5. OP
    OP
    DerekP

DerekP Member

Sorry, i've been MIA.. personal problems.

Yeah, i'm really not sure what i'm going to do. I would prefer an Intel for the quicksync efficiency. So i think i'll keep my desktop as is (the 2700X) and find something non-new for the server :)

6. OP
    OP
    DerekP

DerekP Member

Pretty amazing upgrade path! That will be a great upgrade in a couple more years. To be honest, i'm perfectly happy with my desktop as is. Perhaps the video card could do with an upgrade (Radeon 580). I don't think i really need more CPU power right now.

Cheers! I will keep this info handy.... btw - what's the "3D"?

7. straiton

straiton Member

derek, AMD added 64MB of vertical cache to the 5800x chip(from 32MB to 96MB), which improves gaming performance significantly

Only if you're after every fps for gaming. And the $$$ compared to 5800x or 5900x isn't good at the moment.
    Productivity - 5900x or 5950x

Last edited: May 28, 2022
  8. OP
    OP
    DerekP

DerekP Member

I've decided I won't be using this PC for the server, so I won't be looking for an upgrade for a while and instead i'll build a server separately. I wouldn't be terribly fussed between the two CPUs - it'd come down to the price difference and availability at the time :) Thanks for the info though! :)