What is the best value Prepaid going?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by slashnet, Aug 30, 2018.

1. mrhunnybunny

mrhunnybunny Member

I thught you meant subscribing to a new provider. I am not very bright...

2. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

after the first 90 days it goes up to $89 per 90 days ;)

so you'd need to port to another provider at that point

i am a big fan of the Belong pricing/data sharing, but although i'm allegedly fully covered reception wise, i wasn't getting reception inside my house so had to port away again. very frustrating!

still searching for a good value long term plan, just to keep a number alive basically (paying $10/month at the moment)

one that allows free call forwarding to a different number would be nice too

any ideas?

3. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

I had the same problem with belong, turns out my phone doesn't have b28 for telstra 4g, setting the phone to use 3g network got me reception and I eventually got a new phone and 4g reception is now fine.

4. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

i tried 4 different phones (Zuk Z2, Redmi Note 5, LG G6, Moto G4 Plus), all i think had B28

ended up giving up, but might give it another shot

5. slavewone

slavewone Member

Mrhunnybunny, I recently ported from TPG towards the end of the half price deal, they charged an $11 port fee.

I moved to the Lebara Medium 360 (one down from the one you quoted) when they had a $169 for the year deal with no bonus data (after wifi, my mobile data is only useage is only 3 or 4 a month).

My SO is on the Large 180 plan you quoted, she moved from Vodafone.Deal was $119 for 6 months with 16+4GB.

6. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Who charges port out fees? TPG is the worst, won't touch them with a 10-foot pole.

7. mrhunnybunny

mrhunnybunny Member

if you just want a long term plan to keep the number alive vodafone

https://www.vodafone.com.au/prepaid/plans ( and click on the circle saying 365 plus and it seems pretty cheap $30 for 365 days expiry - unfortunately I can't link directly to the page as the URL doesn't change when you click on thr 365 plus logo)

8. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

cheers, ended up ordering an ALDI PAYG plan, where i think i can recharge $15 to last the year

will look into Voda if ALDI doesn't work out

9. frnak

frnak Member

I used Kogan Mobile for about three months with one of their discounted 90 day plans.
    VHA's coverage in Queensland is horrible. I had no indoor coverage in areas where Optus and Telstra were strong :/
    Having said that, Vodafone is pretty decent in the southern states.

Spintel has been good in the past but their plans only go up to 15GB... I use more data than that lol.

I used TPG for a few years when the market was less competitive. That port-out fee did sting.

Amaysim is great if you like to do cash recharges, but their value is poor in the higher allowance plans. 28 day recharge is annoying.

Likewise Belong isn't great value if you want more data, but the data banking feature is a nice addition.

Currently I'm trialling Catch-connect. Better coverage with Optus but there are significant congestion issues at times.

mrhunnybunny likes this.
  10. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Been using Kogan for 3 years now. I pay annually. Works out to be about $27/month or something and if they update their deal they auto upgrade you. So you never feel like you got jibbed. It's nice to receive messages saying "Thanks for being part of Kogan, we added 2gb of data to your pre paid plan for free for the life of your plan".

mrhunnybunny likes this.
  11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Get CR and keep an eye on OzB for the best deals. The CR's sometimes are amazing.

mrhunnybunny likes this.
  12. josh1990

josh1990 Member

So I just ported out of Belong.

Couldn't send MMS (I tried multiple port settings) and my desk at work seems to be in a dud zone for their coverage.

Have swapped to Boost (supposedly not gimped Telstra 4g) to trial coverage. If it's good I'll go for the $150 12 month plan recently released. Works out $2.50 dearer per month than Belong, but 5.66GB more data a month too.

Activated in 5 mins tops and can send an MMS! So far so good.

13. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

so similar to Belong, the Aldi reception in my office is terrible, regardless of whether i switch from 4G, to 3G, to 2G

might see how it goes for a while, then perhaps try the Voda 365 $30 deal

i am not sure there are any good Optus MVNO's that do a 365 day plan?

pretty much 0 usage of the phone, just want to keep the number alive and have it available in case of emergency (i.e. 000 calls etc.)

mrhunnybunny likes this.
  14. mrhunnybunny

mrhunnybunny Member

000 or 112 (112 may be safer ) should work from any mobile even if your network has bad coverage as it should be able to use any network in coverage range whether its your network or not. (and it should work with no sim even) .

Of course if there is no coverage by ANY network, then it won't work

Give it a try sometime when u have no reception from your network and hang up quickly if it works.

==========

re optus MVNO's for 365 day - Optus itself has one and 3 resellers have a 365 day plan too

The below URL has 90-365 day prepaid plans. Just move the bar to 365 day plans only and it brings up 4 that suit your requirements

https://www.whistleout.com.au/MobilePhones/Prepaid-Mobile-Phone-Plans-Long-Expiry

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  15. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

cheers, i thought i reviewed Amaysim, obviously not close enough

might switch to their $10 - 365 day prepaid plan

will see how i go with Aldi though, already paid $15 for 365 days

16. Skexis

Skexis Member

There's an Optus deal atm that gives you 365 day expiry on 60Gb of data for $180 however if you buy the sim in store it's reduced to $120. Can't post the link; will do so later when at my pc.

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

This one....

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/434081