What is the penalty for killing a snake?

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by ssmack, Sep 30, 2007.

1. ssmack

ssmack Member

I had a bit of a trawl today and found Parramatta Council has a maximum fine around $5700 and somewhere else the max was $11,000. Where would I get a definitive figure?

Plenty of sites say they are all protected, but can't find anything listed as to what happens if you get caught shovelling one to death in your yard.

I live on 5 acres and have a few tigers around. Never will kill one.

2. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

It is legal to kill a protected species if it is directly threatening you or your family.

3. Strange1

Strange1 Member

Yeah but if your "Directly threatened" by a snake then what kind of pansy bitch are you anyway.

4. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

I take it you've never been attacked by a taipan then? I can arrange it if you want........

5. Strange1

Strange1 Member

Nah mate I lived on a farm out at Bathurst, I wouldnt have a clue what your on about...

6. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

Which proves my point.

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache...populated+by+taipans&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=7&gl=au

7. Smoke87

Smoke87 Member

Yeah when snakes *want* to be dangerous, they will be...other times they are scared of you and "run" hehe :p

I once had either a taipan or a red belly, 5-6ft long, dash out of bushes with its head up and chase myself and 5 friends out of a creek ... twas' scary-funny :p

Other times you will just run into a snake and its like "Mang, just going about my day" e.g. walking home from said creek, brownie with its head up off the ground and I was about to step on it...my friend potentially saved my life that day.

8. Strange1

Strange1 Member

9. toad

toad Member

I guess that depends upon how you define dangerous. (chance of getting bitten causing death per encounter, or if you included chance of encounter)
    A bit like saying the american loved rattlesnake is more dangerous than a taipan/brown just because of the human population and stupidity over there.

The brown snake is a lot more common but from my understanding the taipan is generally more aggressive.

A little story, about 10yrs ago now a taipan decided to take up residense in some spare irrigation pipes at the main shed on my old farm. We called out a snake catcher to take care of it, and when he arrived and identified the species he refused to catch it and told us to kill it.

10. OhFoRkMe

OhFoRkMe Member

LOL

They are fairly different snakes, like for example, one has a red belly :)

And yes, I consider a Taipan to be pretty much australias most deadliest snake, especially when it thinks its cornered

11. holistic

holistic Member

Colour me a pansy then. If I come across a snake, and it decides to make sudden movements towards me, I'm directly threatened and that snake is getting clobered.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  12. Baringa

Baringa Member

Count me in as a pansy too. If a snake comes anywhere near me or my dogs, it's going to be disintegrated as soon as I load my 12 gauge.

13. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

You cant use that as proof.

There is no one "deadliest snake in the world".
    There is no "most venomous" either.
    There IS however a way that snakes can be classified based on the intensity, and the toxicity of its venom.

Whilst one snake might not be that potent in terms of venom, then amount administered, or the ferocity of the attack might be lethal.

Likewise a snake might administer a small amount of venom, that is far more lethal in smaller doses.

Then there is the consideration of the type of toxicity in the venom. Is it a neuro or a necro toxin, does it cause clotting, does it cause muscle fatigue, does it cause fever?

There are so many questions around this type of thing, it is impossible to ascertain "the deadliest snake in aus".

Having said all this when all the factors are put together the Elapidae species of snakes, has the highest amount of deadly snakes out of any snake species.

Generally the Inland Tapian (fierce snake), Eastern Brown, and King Brown are the 3 deadliest in Australia though.

Good reading here about the LD50 toxicity scale: http://members.iinet.net.au/~bush/myth.html

14. Dark_Greg

Dark_Greg Member

I would love to know how one would get "caught" shovelling a snake to death...

If you live in the sticks, and your neighbours are a 10 minute drive away, who is going to dob on you for putting a pickaxe through a king brown's skull?

not that i condone such behaviour, but the "fines" for doing it can only really be there to catch the people stupid enough to brag about their snake killing prowess.

15. Smoke87

Smoke87 Member

Not all members of the family have a red belly IIRC, and my memory is a little fuzzy, as I was concentrating on running from something bigger than me...

Meanwhile, coolest snake on earth.

http://www.esf.edu/pubprog/images/snakes/nredbelly.jpg

Foreign species.

16. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

I saw this movie where a lot of people killed snakes.... Think they were on a plane at the time...

Can't remember what it was called though.

17. nikkothescorpio

nikkothescorpio (Banned or Deleted)

I'm pretty sure more people are bitten trying to kill snakes than by accidental encounters with them so is not a good thing to do on either a monetary, ethical or social rules level.

Surely simply going out of your way to avoid them is far better - if they're posing a threat to your family etc then only use lethal force if needed.

Very rarely snakes can pursue people - but generally they only do this to scare you off and will then run for it as they're always more scared of you.

FTR I lived on a rural property on mi-north coast until age 20 or so and saw plenty of snakes and only ever killed one - as it was in our dogs yard - not a fun thing to do as they are amazingly fast.

18. pugsley

pugsley Member

Im guessing the penalties would be for anyone that goes out and actively hunts down any snakes. Why you would do that i dont know but i guess its been done.

19. UB3R

UB3R Member

i have been chased by a red belly out of a dam i was mucking around in. it was in the reeds about 15m away and all of a sudden it came, full on at me and 2 mates, we ran like the freaking wind!

another time, in a farm out the back of condo we were in the car and a brown snake was about 10m away, sat up, then charged at us bloody fast. we were moving so floored it and it didnt get too close but it wasnt just randomly slithering around.

wouldnt have had a second thought about killing either of them.

20. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Could be wrong here (have the info at home), but IIRC the Brown Snake will normally retreat rather than strike when threatened. Thus the reason not many people die from them.

The Viper family of snakes though (once again IIRC), are normally very aggressive and will snap at anything. However they have a less potent venom.

Basically if someone created a hybrid of the 2, the size of a python, despite being rather cool, it'd be deadly as haha.