What is this motherboard?

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by BGH, Aug 6, 2006.

1. BGH

BGH Member

Bought a VIA mini-ITX mobo off the forums here

Problem is that is that according to google it basically doesnt exist. The model number is GA-PCV2 but I cant find any info about it. I cant get the onboard sound working and was hoping someone could help me get the correct drivers for it.

2. bYrd

bYrd Member

If definately looks like a Gigabyte-made board (green IDE slots, blue PCB) - so it's not made by VIA. And yeah trawling around Gigabyte's site, there is no reference to the board at all!

Sounds like it's running a VIA 1.5Ghz CPU though - and looks like the usual VIA chipsets onboard. I'd try the generic VIA Vinyl drivers from the VIAArena site (WinXP sound drivers here )

JB

Last edited: Aug 6, 2006
  3. OP
    OP
    BGH

BGH Member

Once installed Windows thinks its the 1.0Ghz Nehemiah CPU, same as the VIA M10K.

I've tried the sound drivers from the VIA site. They install fine and Windows says the device is working properly but no sound :(

4. tumzy

tumzy Member

I had this problem aswell, not knowing what motherboard I had in a shuttleX pc. Easiest solution for me was installing windows and using cpu-z to find out what chipset it has and go from there. Theres a few other programs that should give you the names of some of the devices and such on there.

5. bYrd

bYrd Member

The crappy "VIA Vinyl" sound utility that's installed with these drivers - does unchecking or changing the speaker configuration help? Is SPDIF turned on at all. A manual here would be nice of course - SPDIF is enabled/disabled through a motherboard jumper.

Looking more at the picture, it appears to be more or less a reference VIA M10K mobo. See if the jumpers etc. correspond on the EPIA 10000 Nehemiah manual.

JB

6. OP
    OP
    BGH

BGH Member

CPU-Z just confirms all my current suspicions. It thinks it is a Gigabyte GA-PCV2 although according to Gigabyte that model doesnt exist.

It also thinks it is a VT8235 southbridge and those drivers listed above supposedly support the onboard sound of that southbridge.

But unfortunately no love :(

[​IMG]
    Click to view full-sized image!
    Hosted by UGBox Image Store

7. OP
    OP
    BGH

BGH Member

You sure? After looking at some pics of the M10K they layout looks quite different.

Anyway turning on/off SPDIF (via software) doesnt seem to help.

8. OP
    OP
    BGH

BGH Member

Anyone think it could be that the front panel audio is enabled via the jumpers so the rear panel aint working? Sure wish I had a manual (or could find one online).

9. power

power Member

just had a quick squiz at the thread you bought it off and the pic and there definitely aren't jumpers on the fp_audio header (it's next to the com port) to the left of the yellow usb header

oh and i'd have to agree that's without a doubt a Gigabyte mobo it is possible it's out of a pre-built chassis...?

oh and i spot a realtek sound chip there btw
    put this link in your first post

http://imagestore.ugbox.net/aview/100_13801_4ff6b55fcfe7329da122b6

being realtek it's most likely AC-97, read off the model number on the small realtek chip (the larger one is the lan small one is near the fp_audio header and under the bios chip)

*edit*

ok i've gone 1 better

the elipses are on the fp_audio header and indicate where you need jumpers

one either side on the missing pin, the circle is around the realtek audio chip

[​IMG]
    Click to view full-sized image!
    Hosted by UGBox Image Store

this driver will most likely work it's for a different ASUS board but will most likely work for you

Last edited: Aug 7, 2006
  10. OP
    OP
    BGH

BGH Member

Thanks Mr Power

I'm at the work at the moment so cant check the audio chip. I know its just a standard ALC655 chip though. i'll try connecting the jumpers you suggested though and see how it goes.

Can I just confirm that it is the two top sets of jumpers that both need to be connected?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2006
  11. power

power Member

only the jumpers either side of the missing pin need be connected

12. OP
    OP
    BGH

BGH Member

IT WORKED!! You're a champion power.

13. Wet Sandwich

Wet Sandwich Member

As for the mystery, maybe email gigabyte asking them why the model doesn't seem to exist?

14. TMM

TMM Member

maybe it was an OEM? gigabyte generally don't supply much info on boards that are only sold to OEMs

15. power

power Member

nice work :)