What is throttling my video editing on my PC rig?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Scratchy, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Scratchy

Scratchy Member

Hi all,
    I'm a photographer that has started to dabble in video. I built my PC around processing photos but in the last year I've been doing more video. I've been using Davinci Resolve 15 which is great but I can't get smooth playback when editing (I guess I'm doing online editing without proxies?). I've tried the optimise media setting and the smart cache which helps a bit but I wondered if there was a particular piece that was bottlenecking my edits? I use DSLR, GoPro & DJI so get a mix of 1080 and 4K content to edit.

Rig is a from 2013 but I figured I'd explore what was the issue before simply buying a new rig.

2013 built
    Intel i7 4770 Haswell 3.4ghz 8mb
    32GB RAM (4x8gb) DDR3 1600 mhz
    2x 250gb SSD Samsung 840 evo (one is primary drive, second is where video is stored/edited).
    Added in 2017
    GPU Nvidea 1060 6gb

I'm running windows 10, which updated from Windows 8. I've been contemplating do a fresh install but I'm interested if this rig is capable of editing video smoothly or if I'm woofing up the wrong tree!

Help appreciated.

2. Jazper

Jazper Member

You’re trying to edit 4K content with insufficient ram and insufficient video card memory for davinci

Those are your primary bottlenecks.

3. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

Looking at your specs, there are two maybe three bottlenecks. Your 840 evos are sata? They will be good but will slow down the copying and accessing speed. Just switching to nvme/pcie will make a huge difference. CPU is a little on the old side, and might be you next stop. The memory is another area... if your working with a small number of files at any one time and short movies, you should be fine... if they’re really long, and many of them... you’ll quickly want more.

If your looking to unbottleneck... I’d say your biggest bottle neck is the ssd. It’s what will probably have the greatest impact while editing.

But others who do a lot more editing than me will probably say more on it.

Edit: Not familiar with Davinci... so yeah. :(

4. OP
    OP
    Scratchy

Scratchy Member

Yeah the motherboard has no M2 support from my googling so the two SSD I have are SATA. PCIE might be an option?
    Motherboard is:
    Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H LGA1150 ATX Motherboard

So I have 32GB of RAM but my speed isn't high enough (1600mhz) or do I need more RAM?
    I'm surprised the video card isn't enough, what should it be? 1070, 1080?

5. Jazper

Jazper Member

Speed isn’t the problem, it’s quantity of ram.

[bad information removed]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  6. OP
    OP
    Scratchy

Scratchy Member

Thanks Jazper. Thank goodness crypto currency mining has dropped off as I might be able to afford those cards. Does anyone know the mobile or amd equivalent? I'm guessing speccing a new PC that the AMD cpu are where it is at for this sort of work at the moment (if I don't want to spend $999 USD on a monitor stand).

7. Jazper

Jazper Member

While AMD has equivalents, at the moment for video processing you really can’t beat Nvidia.

8. Jazper

Jazper Member

And whether AMD is the way forward depends on your budget.

For now (until AMD releases their new chips next month) the intel 9900k is king of the desktop hill.

9. SpudBoy

SpudBoy Member

there's always the iMac Pro too but to bring that up to the specs you will be wanting will be at least a $11k computer.

10. OP
    OP
    Scratchy

Scratchy Member

Thanks guys. I think the next step is to dial back video equipment to 1080 (it's only a Drone and a GoPro that shoot 4k everything else is 1080). The majority of the content is consumed on Facebook and Instagram (1080 is maximum you can upload). The system seems very close to being able to play back at full speed in 4k (once I've optimised media, smart cached) that I'm hoping in 1080 it will be much smoother process (maybe no need to optimise media, smart cache).

11. havabeer

havabeer Member

I only have 32gig of ram and I can edit and preview 4k videos perfectly, I use Premier Pro though not Da Vinci. I do how ever have a 5960x and all my hard drives are sata and I have 0 issues.

I remember using a "free" *cough cough* version sony vegas pro on the exact same rig, and it struggled with 4k playback in the application, but it turns out it was an actual software problem which only got slightly fixed in later versions but was still an issue for quite a lot of people.

as for an upgrade I would look at getting onto the DDR4 platform, 32gig, and an I7 CPU with as many cores as you can afford, 4k is slowly starting to become more mainstream so if you're fine just dabbling at 1080 don't worry too much about upgrading.

12. OP
    OP
    Scratchy

Scratchy Member

It is something I'm trying to get my head around as various software seems to do a better or worse job at optimising. I've read somewhere Adobe to be pretty good, but Davinci is Free (Australian) and sooooo much easier to use than Premier that I'm staying with Davinci Resolve but I'm trying to see if there is any performance boosts between 15 and the newly released 16. Also I need to figure out what offiline editing is and if it is a possible solution.

13. M1ck1

M1ck1 Member

Hi Scratchy
    As I know nothing about Video editing but a bit about hardware have a look here.
    It's about performance of different Cpus,Gpus and Ram etc with benchmarks, in Davinci Resolve
    https://www.pugetsystems.com/recomm...-DaVinci-Resolve-187/Hardware-Recommendations
    Had a bit of a browse if your building a new system don't write off Amd their cpus and gpu s
    competitive and a lot cheaper all recommendations for Video cards are for 8Gb or more of Vram
    Hope this helps

14. proffesso

proffesso Member

4k is fine on 16gb, probably less. ram only comes into play if your trying to cache.
    also codec's matter...

also a 1060 6gb...thats more than plenty for 4k editing. your not doing 14 layers of 32bit framebuffers like in games.

hopefully this dispells some incorrect information

Dropbear and ^catalyst like this.
  15. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Yeah, this thread made me twitch a little too.

When troubleshooting, data is king. What does task manager say? Are you seeing anything hit 100% and stay there during the stutter?

We frequently edit 4K video on specs similar to yours (and are using DaVinci more and more). With zero troubleshooting in your specific environment, our problems typically are either disk IO or needing to reinstall drivers. But again, that's without any data. Collect data on your setup and see where the issue is.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  16. OP
    OP
    Scratchy

Scratchy Member

Thanks guys. Good call on checking out the task manager. My projects are setup at 24 frames per second (FPS) and it often sits at 22-23fps just causing a slight stutter. It makes it painful to get the in/outs right. Good call on the driver update as well. I'll check that out.

17. Hater

Hater Member

if not using 4K means you'll be able to up the FPS you're shooting at which will help for making epic slow mos

18. OP
    OP
    Scratchy

Scratchy Member

Yeah not too worried about slo mos they seem a little overdone. With the shortening attention span of people I'm thinking fast mos are the way to go. :)

vladtepes likes this.
  19. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Yeah I'm not sure how you get to needing 64GB of RAM and a 8-11GB gpu to edit 4K video but that seems quite a ways off reality. I've watched 4K edits done on a macbook pro with a 4th gen i7; wasn't a problem. Sure I wouldn't want to do it all day but it was fine.

As per elvis comment, you really need to get some hard data on it first before going an swapping parts around hoping it will fix it.

20. FOTW

FOTW Member

My recommendation would be

Get a decent 500GB NVME SSD with PCIE adapter as a cache/project drive
    250GB for Windows and programs
    You can convert the other 250gb SSD into pagefile/scratch drive if you want.
    and a large HDD of your choice for completed projects and finished videos.

Upgrade RAM to 16GB or 32GB

Rest of the system is fine.