1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

What is throttling this? Multi 40>8>40>8>40

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by sammy_b0i, Apr 17, 2020.

1. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Weird question. Running Prime95 to check temps after swapping fans around.

Had everything on auto, and after about 30 seconds, it starts cycling from the all-core x40 multi, to 8, then back to 40, then back to 8, and repeating once every second. Temps switch every second as well between 40-ish and 70-ish, and VID changes from 1.2ish to 0.7 every second as well.

Can see in the graph:

[​IMG]

Went into bios, changed the multi from auto, and pegged it at x40. Changed power plan to high perf.. still happening.

Is this a voltage limit on the board, or a package power limit, or something else? If everything is on Auto in the bios, I'd assume it would feed it as much volts as it needs to maintain 4-core turbo?

Haven't overclocked for a long time, so unfamiliar with some of the options. Only want it to run at stock, but can't seem to sustain it?

2. OP
    OP
    sammy_b0i

Possibly hitting the TDP limit? Saw recommendations to download XTU and check what it's reporting.

Edit: Ran XTU while also running P95 Small FTTs and those dips correspond with a "Thermal Throttling: Yes" alert coming up.

So it seems that 80 degrees is the max for a 6700K? Any way to increase it? I've got a reasonable little L9x65 heatsink on there with a larger fan.

Possibly undervolt it?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  3. OP
    OP
    sammy_b0i

So volts seem to sit at ~1.13-1.15 under 100% load.

Tried a -0.075v offset to have it sit at ~1.06-1.078v during Small FTTs and still thermally throttles... any other ideas?

Can I somehow increase the maximum temp before it throttles?

Edit: So disabling AVX in the torture test options in Prime95 seems to help a lot. It'll still thermally throttle but seems to do so after 6 minutes instead of 20 seconds.

Might just have to live with the limitations of the SFF case and HSF choices.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  4. Wozzernux

Wozzernux Member

If SFF is limiting your options for cooling, have you considered delidding the 6700K?

Otherwise keep dropping the vcore offset, or switch to manual vcore values as low as possible if you're not overclocking.

Hell, you could even drop the multi to 38x without a noticeable performance drop. Same amount of trial & error as overclocking, just in the opposite direction.

You don't always win the silicon lottery - I have a crusty old 4770K that throttles at a lousy 4GHz after a couple of minutes of IBT, never did get around to delidding it :Paranoid:

5. OP
    OP
    sammy_b0i

So basically thermally throttling is as simple as it sounds. Temps getting too high on the CPU or the VRMs.

6. OP
    OP
    sammy_b0i

Seem to have found a happy medium using your advice. Put the multi for everything to 38x, and vcore offset at -0.05v. Temps hitting a max of 65 on two cores after 15 minutes of Small FTTs.

7. AgB deano

AgB deano Member

I'd say you have particularly shit TIM under the lid. I got headin to delid my 6700k a year ago and it dropped 15 degrees.. that's TIM failure as far as I'm concerned

My 6700k maxes out at 95 degs with 1.355v in IBT at 4.5ghz and does not throttle the cpu at all but is throttling to a dead solid 4ghz.. it used to be much less (80;s?) but the h100i I'm fairly sure is failing due to permeation. it's at least 7 years old, enough said.

I hadn't actually noticed until now as the machine rarely runs anything more than RS2 in min settins, older games in general, a vpn, a few firefox windows and msword. Might have to do something about that failing cooler.. eventually.. it does bother me that I now noticed it's throttling.

Huh. Looking into it even more, dropped it to 4.2ghz 1.355v, something is definitely up as there is a 10 deg difference between cores (2c73- 2c83) when it throttles to 4ghz. All cores sit dead on 4ghz with HT though. Weird.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    sammy_b0i likes this.
  8. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    sammy_b0i likes this.
  9. asho444

asho444 Member

Yea, that looks like the issue I had on the wife's old asrock h77 that would overheat on the vrms,
    There is a program called throttle stop you can download and use to stop it to test if you wanted too, I made a post about it here somewhere

10. asho444

asho444 Member

11. OP
    OP
    sammy_b0i

Right. Bummer. Thanks for the links and info.

It is the Z170N as per sig, and it's in a tiny case with barely any airflow. I did get some thermally adhesive little heatsinks before installing into the case and stuck them onto any VRMs that I could fit them on, but couldn't get onto all of them as things were quite tightly packed. I don't believe there's any room to get a fan over the vrm area, either, and the only fan is over the heatsink.

I guess 3.8GHz isn't bad if it can be maintained without throttling, and I don't do anything too CPU intensive.. just some light gaming, otherwise web browsing.

Thanks for the advice :thumbup:

12. AgB deano

AgB deano Member

3.8ghz is still pretty good. Better consistent than not.

What about a popping off the IO cover for more airflow?

13. OP
    OP
    sammy_b0i

Wouldn't work for me unfortunately - I've got a reasonably dusty house, and cats (so, hair) - and both intakes are filtered. Air would take the path of least resistance and suck through the back.

I think I've got access to a non-K chip... so 65w instead of 84w. Might help a bit at maintaining 4-core turbo (3.7GHz on the non-k 6700) - chip can go to someone who can use it.

14. Wacko02

Wacko02 Member

Pretty sure it's the AVX that causes that and needs to be disabled for Prime95.

15. OP
    OP
    sammy_b0i

Yeah, I tried it with AVX disabled - would last 6 minutes before VRM throttling rather than, say, 1-2.

Edit: all good now, though. Dropped a 6700 non-K in last night and in Small FTT's was sitting mid-high 60's and no VRM issues.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  16. Wacko02

Wacko02 Member

I couldn't find the link i was looking for to back up my comment, but basically it was a little scale chart showing the level of stress testing from different apps. Prime95 with AVX enabled was basically testing at 120% of Intel's thermal testing and rating for it's chips. I was having similar issues with my 9600k initially as it would lock up my PC immediately with it enabled, but disabling AVX it's stable and max's at 80 degrees at 4.9GHz.