What is via

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by Pianist, Sep 2, 2007.

1. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

Problems I had with them:

(1) Overclocking (as you've mentioned) was very poor.

(2) K8T890 lack of dual-core support (link). They fixed it later, but it would have been nice for it to just work (as Nvidia did).

(3) Lack of SATA-2 support from some Via southbridges (link) which require the drives to be forced back to SATA1 mode. Again, this didn't happen with Nvidia chipsets.

2. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Well there you go, I did none of the above with the boards, although I'm sure i've run SATA-2 drive on my old K8T, anyway everyones experience is different I suppose.

I think they've probably dropped the ball completely since those early 754 days, given only the cheapest of cheap boards are now using VIA chipsets, whereas the most expensive A64 boards did back in 04.. afterall it was the Mainstream launch chipset.. Different ball game.

3. Cannula

Cannula Member

LOL, I just purchased a couple of Via Apollo Pro 133A motherboards, CUV4X-E and the legendary P3V4X. :thumbup:
    One will be in a new home made case just for retro gaming with 98SE and XP running and the other will be a spare MB.
    Love this chipset, it's my favorite P3 chipset. Only like it more than the 815's due to the over 512MB RAM support, such an oversight by Intel. :thumbdn:

4. SLATYE

Apparently Via hasn't bothered to re-new their P4 bus license for 2008, so it seems quite likely that they'll be dropping the Intel side of the chipset business completely before too long. They might also drop the AMD side and just move to other areas (like the low-power CPUs).

Via really have been aiming for the low-end market, at least with Intel CPUs - only one of their current chipsets (PT880) supports dual-channel RAM, and that one only offers it because it's a remnant from when they were aiming for a higher-end section of the market.

5. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Well with the AMD-ATI merger meaning Ati chipsets becoming AMD's flagship VS nvidia's offerings I don't think there'll be much room for them to compete at all, and lets face it, intel certainly don't need help making chipsets these days. So I have to agree, think it's game over in that respect.

Good to see they're still working on their ultra low power CPU's / systems. They're pretty impressive still @ perf/watt

6. SLATYE

I wonder what SiS will do. They're in much the same situation as Via - except that they don't have the low-power CPU market as an alternative to building chipsets.

Intel don't need help making chipsets, but I really will miss some of the innovation that we saw from Via (in particular the PCIe + AGP + DDR + DDR2 support). It's also been nice to have a manufacturer who still puts two IDE channels on their chipsets.

7. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

That is an interesting question. The fact I completely forgot about SiS, can't be good.

All I know is:
    The last SiS chipset I personally had was shit all round.

The 2 SiS chipset prescott Celeron machines at work are absolute heaps of shit that have all had to be sent to head IT in another state in the end due to random BSODs that I just won't bother to try and deal with (since "ffs can you just buy some decent equipment you tightass pricks" applies) and have not been returned.. New dell's on the way I hope.

Yet the Intel chipset P4's that are still around the place are all fine..

I don't know what else to say.. :cool:

PS, As for 2 IDE channels, well nvidia/ati won't even help there, no new chipsets that I know of with 2 IDE channels :)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  8. cbjaust

cbjaust Member

Um... der, I said that:

And I disagree that the VIA chipsets were the only choice; they were just the BEST choice.

Cheers

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  9. wryun

wryun Member

Well, interestingly enough Intel have started buying their chipsets for low end boards (and they appear to have completely dropped AMD chipset development). And they're supposed to have a Vista Premium IGP soon, so at least they're still developing...

FYI: my current computer has an SiS 648FX chipset which has never skipped a beat, so they're not all bad. They've also never employed a native English speaker for their website, which is cool :)

10. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

11. wryun

wryun Member

12. SLATYE

That's a good point (about Intel buying cheap SiS chipsets). I wonder whether that'll change when Nvidia launch their IGPs for Intel CPUs (since Nvidia's IGPs are likely to perform a lot better than anything SiS can come up with).
    The last one I had wasn't really 'bad' - it just didn't do anything in particular which made it better than the other options. Why bother with SiS when you can have Intel or Nvidia instead?

The Nforce 650i still has two IDE channels, but I suspect that'll be the last we see from Nvidia. I guess it doesn't matter so much now since IDE is really getting quite obsolete - but I still prefer to have a few IDE connectors.

I wonder how long it'll be before mainboard manufacturers give up on the third-party chip and just make P35/X38 boards with no IDE support at all.

13. cbjaust

cbjaust Member

ditto... one of the reasons 'm still with the system in my sig. and not the AM2 6000+ | Abit AN9 32X | 2GB OCZ Ti Alpha VX2 system I have waiting in the wings....

about 5 minutes.... :D

14. Annihilator69

Annihilator69 Member

KT333 was like the ultimate chipset.

15. xsive

xsive Member

sif :p KT133A and KT266A ftw!

16. notsoeasy

notsoeasy Member

The computer I have at home has KT133 chipset and the pC I'm typing this on has SiS.. (ECS board!)and they ROCK!! lol

I'm still waiting for VIA to crank up that CPU of theirs and become the third competitor in high end x86 market... just like the days of Cyrix...

17. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

you'll be waiting a long long time :Pirate:

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

hehe....I know, seems like a funny thing.

I haven't been with Via chipsets for years now. As soon as I realised that Via + Creative just don't mix I swapped to an NVidia NForce chipset and haven't looked back......problems gone overnight and no need to revisit this forum. I'm too scared to go back :Paranoid:

19. PrawnBoy

PrawnBoy Member

my old celeron 2.6 and via board, used to do 3.6ghz on stock cooler that was pretty freaking good back then

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I always found Via to be a really good platform for a few years, until I had those issues. So if I didn't have Creative products I wouldn't mind going back.