What is your favourite/first Programming Book?

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by DRILL SGT, Oct 3, 2002.

1. DRILL SGT

DRILL SGT Member

I was just cleaning books and other such random material objects off my desk and found my favourite coding book(s) and I was just thinking if anyone here had a book that they prefered/looked after better :D.
    Well mine are
    Danny Goodman's Javascript Bible
    C++ By Example (Donovan)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2002
  2. z2177199

z2177199 Member

Ritchie and Kernighan C

EDIT: and Oh, Pascal.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2002
  3. Doktor

Doktor Member

'Delphi in a nutshell' and 'Delphi Developers Handbook'.... the latter also makes a great paperweight (so damn thick :))

4. mark|

mark| Member

c: how to program by deitel & deitel, also known to first year students as the 'fat red confusing book'

5. Ch00k

Ch00k Member

Hardcore Visual Basic Volume 2

Only programming book I ever read, let alone bought. Absolutely great read.

6. BelowZero

BelowZero Member

Yourdon Methodolgy

My first book was The Yourdon Methodology for COBOL Programming published 1977 authored by Ed Yourdon. I used this for COBOL on a Honeywell Level 6 minicomputer in 1979. My favourite was a book called My First Book of C written for colleges in the US in the early 80's. Found this much better than the Kernighan and Ritchie "The Fundamentals of C".

Shaun
    Below Zero

7. tacheonmaster

tacheonmaster Member

Ditto - "The C Programming Language" second edition by Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie is a fantastic book.

8. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

Ive got the Deital and Deitel web programming book and it is a really good book.

Covers pretty much every single thing when it comes to web programming/multimedia. Pretty in depth considering it covers everything. A very good book for anyone considering a career in web based programming.

9. OP
    OP
    DRILL SGT

DRILL SGT Member

Cool, would anyone recommend "C++ unleashed", I have also got a PDF of "Thinking in C++" and I like the format of it. God damn COBOL, I found out my maths teacher knows that and I am like what the hell. And hell yeah I got "Mastering Local Area Networks" that is a damn fine bookweight, book protecter, drink holder, good read and it only costed 20 bucks. :D

10. EEE

EEE Member

Same, excellent book, heaps expensive, and really short, as a programming book should be. But someone stole mine a few years ago :((

Edit: thought I would add a couple more. I have tons of books, these just stand out in quality. For Java I liked Oreilly's Java in a Nutshell, and for JavaScript I like SAM's Pure JavaScript.

11. zeuss

zeuss Member

haha yeah this is still my favourite C reference!! :D

12. Shot_guN

Shot_guN Member

The OpenGL superbible. Expensive, but it's hard to find better for openGl programming.