What IT Helpdesk/Ticketing/Asset Management software?

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by barney, Sep 26, 2008.

1. ECHO

ECHO Member

We think we're about to go with Connectwise ... ticks most boxes.

Doesn't mean it does them well, but it does the basics that we were after with some extra fluff/integration (MYOB, LogMeIn Rescue, Exchange, etc)

2. Thelen

Thelen Member

We use it for the 'internal' stuff, but Kaseya for the general client support. CW lacks any real sort of reporting or whatever, in Kaseya though you can (well before this new version >_<) just click a link, and see all the IP information (ip, gateway, internet address) for example.

Then there is the whole VNC aspect which makes connecting to systems VERY easy and fast. On the whole CW I find too slow, which being helpdesk just doesn't cut it and would drive me nuts in half a day. I already find it quicker to search old tickets for a customer phone number than open CW and search the company >_>

3. ECHO

ECHO Member

Thanks for the real world feed back! Do you have it hosted or on premises? If on premises, what's your server and desktops like? (spec wise).

The only reason I ask is that we're looking at hosting on site and all our PC's are 6 months old (i5's) and we have decent server capacity. Hoping to avoid speed issues!

4. mwd

mwd Member

We have been using Kaseya to handle all our patch management, scripting etc but it wasn't great for users adding tickets etc. We wanted to have our own custom support webpage.

I ended up writing a PHP app that has an iPhone application. It imports the Kaseya tickets and basic computer information via the API.

http://www.dalegroup.net/page/ipmanager/

5. afterburner7

afterburner7 Member

Can anyone comment on how difficult it is to install and maintain RT? How much linux admin is involved? Does it need weekly maintenance?

6. BAK

BAK Member

I installed RT for the "maintenance" requests at a Secondary School. That was about a year ago -I actually went to check it the other day since I hadn't heard anything about it for a while, it's still working fine with zero administration done in that period.

In short - once you install it and get it working, it stays working. Everything you'd need to do regularly on a helpdesk system is done through the web interface.

7. ewok85

ewok85 Member

It isn't ridiculously hard to setup, but it does require some work, and generally you want to configure it to suit your needs. For example I added AD authentication (and auto-creation of users), lots of automation, email support, and customised the screens seen by users.

Plenty of guides and even the official book is great. The real strength of RT is that you can mould it to your whims and end up with something that'll run forever without needing constant fixes.

Make a VM and install it on your preferred flavor of Linux. Go nuts, read all the guides and try them out, and keep notes. Then make a new VM and build it again, this time to use for good.

8. htpcfan

htpcfan Member

we use ManageEngine ServiceDesk at work (500+ end users, 300+ desktops) and whereas it's not great, it does it's job fairly well with a minimal amount of swearing at it.

I have no idea how much it cost to implement or what the ongoing charges are for it though.

9. ewok85

ewok85 Member

I have the O'Reilly book (Aug 2005 first edition!) and it drives me nuts because I show it to people and they lose interest in a heartbeat. It's still surprising relevant too!

It is hard, but not impossible. I put it in the category of worth-the-effort.

10. MrvNDMrtN

MrvNDMrtN Member

Oh man.. this product is absolute crap.

The only GUI we have access to is web based and its slow and needs a million clicks to do anything.

The search is borderline non functional and the entire product just stinks.

I know how much we spent on this and i could've pulled something together in notepad and still be better than this tripe.

I mostly use the change management part of it but its too painful to use so i cut corners heavily in getting it to do what i want.

In short.. stay away.

We should've just went the major players... even Remedy would be a million times better.

11. ewok85

ewok85 Member

Looks like it was made in MS Access 7.0.... :wired:

12. meth05

meth05 Member

We have just purchased ManageEngine ServiceDesk Enterprise and currently getting it configured ready for cut over from our current system called Aegis

13. Braedz

Braedz Member

We use Sysaid 8.5 Professional, and it works great. Got no issues with it at all, it just works.

Very simple to use, and very easy to deploy to end users. Highly recommend it.