What kind of mining set up are you runnning?

Discussion in 'Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Mining' started by DarkStyle, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

It wouldn't afik, but these days, who gives a shit?

You're mining. Losing a few writes isn't going to have any impact.
    Use an SSD, turn off chkdsk at startup and you're not going to have any real issues.

2. illdrift

illdrift Member

true, it can't help you on that front :lol:

3. Gunna

Gunna Member

Yeah not a good idea to always hard shutdown an OS all the time, Drivers could get corrupted or other system files could get damaged. Especially when a simple scheduled task can kill the mining software and another task can restart the PC

4. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Gunna, that would be an extremely unusual case.

For starters, drivers don't get written to except on installation. So there's no reason for the file to become corrupt.
    My best guess is that you're thinking the registry may get corrupted, but that hasn't been the case since Windows 2000 pre SP2 or 3 when it was possible during startup, at the right moment to turn it off and corrupt the registry every time.
    Fixes were implemented and I have not ever seen it happen since.

NTFS itself is very protective of this. By caching the writes and journalling changes, it alone has significantly reduced these problems to practically nil.

Gotta ask, when's the last time you saw an unexpected shutdown do... anything? I'm pushing 15+years, personally.

5. Gunna

Gunna Member

I've seen it in a corporate\business environments so it's possible, plenty of startup files have had an issue after a hard reboot causing windows to fail to load. Doing it daily to a computer isn't something i'd recommend, who knows what system files are being written too or what data is in the write cache. Suggesting it as a method is silly when 2 bat files set as scheduled tasks is the cleaner option

6. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Fair enough.

Personally, I'd set the bios with a wakeup timer, and a task to shutdown at *time*.

7. Gunna

Gunna Member

Pretty much what I have done. Shortcut int he shell:startup folder to mining software

taskkill command to kill the mining software at night, then in the AM reboot the machine to start the mining software as killing it sometimes causes the driver to crash\hash rate to be low

8. qwijibo

qwijibo Member

Three days ago. I was tweaking the overclock on my vegas, took it a bit too far and hard-locked the machine. On reboot, OverdriveNTool.ini was empty.

Sure, its an outlier - it had been recently written to, but it had plenty of time to flush to disk (2-3 minutes) - and the first time I've seen that happen in many years, but it does occasionally happen.

Mostly though, I'd agree with you - worst case, you might get a corrupted log file. Still, I'd do what Gunna has, since its such minimal effort.

9. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

I know I have read its ok but I tried to download Cryptonote today and windows flagged as containing a "dangerous Trojan:Win64/HelaMiner.A" ..... I was going to allow it but thought I better ask ma niggaz first.

:)

10. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Nice one.

Been meaning to call, but been busy and sick. Sorry mate.

Did you have a crack at that thing I suggested?

11. gmturner

gmturner Member

sounds like a good deal. Who sees the power bill? or is it unmetered or something? if landlord gets it they may not be happy if your using more money in electricity than your paying in rent haha.

12. Gunna

Gunna Member

Wow risky move for the owner. Mums complex has the same with water, just a single meter. Charges are divided equally to each unit in her instance.

Just be careful that it doesn't stipulate a KWh limit before you get charged

13. shredder

shredder Member

Nice, sounds like fun, hopefully it's fruitful. :thumbup:

14. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Guys, I have an old Netgear gigabit switch (JGS516) running my mining gear and I have been getting weird losses in output ... I rode the first one for a day because the miners were still going, just not mining to my #1 pool, so I rebooted the miners and they are fine again but its happening every few days now. Has anyone had an issue like that? Could it be my old switch?

15. fad

fad Member

It's more likely to be your internet. Nanopool was having issues yesterday. I was getting the Cloudflare website is down website page.

16. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Niiiiiiiiiceee

Dude. Try what I suggested. You're big enough that it should pay off quite nicely.

17. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Mate, so jealous, great setup.

:)

18. gmturner

gmturner Member

i see your problem, the aircon is turned off, have that baby turned on and on max chill.

19. 426

426 Member

Just turn the fan up to blast air for circulation. Leave it on dry to help dehumidify if anything.

20. fad

fad Member

I suppose the pill was pretty huge?