What kind of mining set up are you runnning?

Discussion in 'Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Mining' started by DarkStyle, Dec 11, 2017.

1. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Does the pill only work on eth?

:)

2. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

I turned mine off.
    Not really worth it anymore.
    Anyone after 4x rx570s in melb?

3. fad

fad Member

I’ve been watching these fgpa cards. They start at $5000usd and look to have a return of $14 a day per card. However I guess some alt coins are going to crash when they cash out. Plus one card won’t be enough. I’ve seen 16 card rigs on sale for $149k usd. Not sure on the ROI.

4. fad

fad Member

Yeah, ROI looks to be 15 months. Which for the people with cards now is good.

5. Gunna

Gunna Member

That's at today's price and difficulty. If the price remains or drops and difficulty increases at it's forecast rate the Return on Capital would be closer to 24 months I would guess

6. fad

fad Member

That’s what is going to happen when the August orders flood the market and they prob will take over those alt coins. In terms of hashing power. If they all cash out it going to be ugly.

7. fad

fad Member

Ive programmed in vhdl before. Just not sure I want to drop $5k usd on a card where everyone is racing to buy them. I would buy a $500 card but as with everything the hash rates will be too small.

I expect them to make money in the first few months but the difficulty to rise 3-4x in the months after.

If you read into it, the networks they are targeting have small hash rates and they will have fgpas hash at 10-100x that of a GPU.

With a 16 card rig costing $149k usd, how long would it take to pay off.

8. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Can any of you guys mining straight eth tell me what you are earning right now? NH is just sinking lower and lower so I need to find an alternative.

9. Gunna

Gunna Member

I mine for 12 hours a day, 6am to 6pm cause that's what my solar covers. Getting about 0.0115 is or so for 165MH. Nit mining through the night, the extra it adds to my quarterly bill we can't manage until the misses goes back to work.

DarkStyle likes this.
  10. fad

fad Member

Just finished setting up the new rigs. These frames stack, the base is a bit bigger than the top so they just slot in. This is two rigs, with the bottom one fully populated. These make it much easier to find all the plugs needed from the PSUs. The card in the middle has pcie bifurcation and had 1x connections to the 10 slots. It has a DDR4 standard sized dimm, CPU LGA 1150 socket and a msata port. I have been using 1200W HP, with the 12 port PCBs. I only need 18 plugs for 1060 rigs.

[​IMG]

DarkStyle likes this.
  11. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Hey fad, have you used that type of setup before? Is the rack made for that motherboard setup then?

Where did you source them?

12. koss

koss Member

You could extend your mining hours with an inverter and some batteries, but you would have to work out how long to ROI the additional hardware and see if it's viable.

13. Gunna

Gunna Member

Cost vs Return on capital means it is cost prohibitive. My rig pulls 1kW/h so would need a 12kW/h just for my mining rig, that's a Tesla Powerwall 2 @ $16k. If i am making double what I make now that is only around $2.80 or over 5000 days payback time.

DarkStyle and Sanity_Smith like this.
  14. koss

koss Member

Anything Tesla is not cheap.

I would be surprised if you had a 12kWh surplus from your solar panels each day.
    You are not trying to mine 24/7 rather you are trying to get whatever surplus your solar panels produce during the day above and beyond mining into storage which you can use after the sun goes down, that should earn you more money than the pissy grid feed rebate gets you back. If it doesn't then time to sell the mining rig.

Battery storage is about $US300 per kWh.
    eg. a 36V 4.4Ah "hoverboard" Li_ion battery pack is about $45 on eBay.

15. Gunna

Gunna Member

We export a bit more than 12kWh, average exprt is about 25ish in Winter. The issue is we get 20c back per kW/h sent back to the grid so even mining during the say is still slightly more expense on solar as I would make more selling my excess power than the miners are making. I actually missed a 0 above so my 165MH is doing 0.00115 in 12 hours or 64c. If I sold that 12kW\h back to the grid i'd be up $2.40

16. fad

fad Member

I have noticed ETC has taken over from ETH, but only by around 8%. This is due to the current spike in price of ETC and the falling price of ETH. Also the difficulty of ETH is around 3600TH, up quite a bit from the 1500TH in June 2017.

17. koss

koss Member

Coinbase have said they are adding ETC this year, it hasn't happened yet, but just saying so started an ETC general rally.

18. Gunna

Gunna Member

You think ETC is worth a punt? As mentioned above solar covers my expenses so not sure if I should pull the trigger on ETC or continue mining the very small amount of ETH?

ATH for ETC\BTC is ~0.008 and ETC\USD is ~$45 at different times so just over 2x USD of where we are now but around 3x for BTC compared to where we are now

ATH for ETH\BTC is ~0.14 and ETC\USD is over $1k or 3.5x USD and just over 2x for BTC pairing from where we are now.

Profit margin currently for me is $0.40c better on Eth but as costs are 0 if ETC has potential legs I might switch

19. gmturner

gmturner Member

You have 2 issues.

Your rig isn't efficient, I got a rig that pulls 880w from wall and does 186mh and I'm sure I could tune it better.

Your profit calculations are off by something like 2-3x. You should be covering power costs no worries. You should be getting .004 not .001.

20. Gunna

Gunna Member

What cards are you running? My cards are rx570's with straps copied over. Any modifications to the voltages causes instability within the bios and I spent a week fine tuning to where I am now, 165mh/s is the best I can get @ 1050w at the wall and i've tried dozens of straps and settings