What languages do people prefer to code in?

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by chiquee, Oct 29, 2003.

1. chiquee

chiquee Member

Personally, I used to really like C, but everything's Java and in comparison to C, it's much easier and you can do more stuff. Touched on COBOL (arghghg) and currently SQL.

So I guess Java's my answer, although I have yet to program commercially with it.

2. bluedreamer

bluedreamer Member

Python good for useless programs, wouldn't really consider sql as a programming language as such? , i get sick of java, need c++ for graphics stuff... php has pretty simple integration with mysql for webdriven stuff in my book anyway, haven't tried asp.net or c# or those so can't say.... but i guess what im getting at is it all depends on what the purpose of the "program" is.

3. OP
    OP
    chiquee

chiquee Member

Okay, let's refine the question.
    Which language do you think offers you greater satisfaction in being a programmer? I'm not really asking for advice in what language is good for what because I can figure that out myself, but on a personal level, what language do you like above others?

I like Java because I got to code some cool GUIs with it rather than drag-n-drop and enjoyed it. :)

Its interesting to know what others like...

4. creation10101

creation10101 (Banned or Deleted)

Just a suggestion..but you should turn this into a poll. Would be alot more user friendly. :D

Anyway.....Im still pretty new to programming.....did a tiny bit of python and c++ before I started this C# course. Out of the three....I prefer C++. :thumbup:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2003
  5. OP
    OP
    chiquee

chiquee Member

I don't really want to create a poll because i'm not that interested in statistics..more of why people like the language(s) they like or why they don't like something.

The whys basically. :D

6. SpeedRacer

SpeedRacer Member

C++, I didnt mind using once I figured out how to debug programs more effectively. It'll probably be my favourite simply because I'm most familiar with it.

I think at university though I enjoyed writing the programs I wrote in Matlab 6 more than anything else I wrote.

Lately I've been learning a bit of Labview which although I'm not as comfortable with the level of control I'm afforded, its pretty groovy and easy to get what you want done.

7. SchRAMBO

SchRAMBO Member

polls are the best. instead of reading though all the posts and see what peoples choices are I can just do a vote. then see the results and go "ahh yep" then maybe read a few posts if i can be buggered. :p

8. OP
    OP
    chiquee

chiquee Member

I haven't touched code for a while...missing it a bit.

Been working a lot with custom languages that's similar to SQL an C combined.

Hoping to get some Java experiences soon though.:)

9. OP
    OP
    chiquee

chiquee Member

hmm...maybe...currently at work. can't be bothered now.

10. EEE

EEE Member

I've programmed in more languages that I'd like to mention :p . At the moment I'm learning ASP.Net and I'm impressed by it. It has most of the stuff Java's had for years, and you have a choice of a few languages - I'm doing it in VB.Net. So that gets my thumbs up for now.

11. Punch Bunny

Punch Bunny Member

I do most of my commercial programming in VB.NET (Windows apps and ASP.NET). I might change this to C# over time, but I have co-workers who are fluent in only VB to consider.

For my toy projects I use all sorts of stuff, but my main focus is currently C++. I haven't done any serious code in C++ though, so I'm uber rusty. I used to have good skills in C once, but I haven't used them in 10 years...

12. Bangers

Bangers Member

C is my personal favourite, but for work I prefer Java, purely for it's cleanness and it's an easier language to work with in a project with multiple programmers.

Edit: Spelling

13. Shalmanese

Shalmanese Member

In terms of what gives me the most aesthetic pleasure to code in, I would have to say either Haskell or Perl. However, they rapidly become unwieldy for anything larger than throwaway programs. Probably Java for large scale projects.

Prolog is also quite funky.

C sucks serious ass.

14. Shalmanese

Shalmanese Member

In terms of what gives me the most aesthetic pleasure to code in, I would have to say either Haskell or Perl. However, they rapidly become unwieldy for anything larger than throwaway programs. Probably Java for large scale projects.

Prolog is also quite funky.

C sucks serious ass.

15. praiseB

praiseB Member

Well I know more about Java than anything else so I would have to go with Java. I dont like VB. I havnt done enough of C++ to have an opinion on it, Pascal use to be good, but that is all but dead. I just wish Java allowed for multiple inheritence, interfaces and inner classes become a pain in the ass after a while

16. bigiain

bigiain Member

Perl.

If I _have_ too, I'll use Inline.pm module to write Inline C or Inline Java (to hook into external C or Java stuff), but given the choice, I'll write in Perl.

(though I'm seriously considering getting back into Java just so I can write apps for the phone...)

big

17. Nasher

Nasher Member

Most profficient in Java and PHP, just because I've had the most experience in those. I like to dabble a bit in C (when programming for unix) and C++ (when programming for Windows).

18. mark|

mark| Member

I prefer to code in the language that will give me the best result for my current task. No loyalty here.

19. Invictus

Invictus Member

20. k0ncept0ne

k0ncept0ne Member

I like coding in Python the most, because it allows me to do pretty much anything C++ can and with a lot more ease, and I'm churning out working code basically as fast as I can type. I also find it the most fun to code in, and the easiest to read/maintain. After that probably Scheme, couldn't tell you why, I just think it's an interesting/fun language.

I think you should make a new thread, "which language do you like the least and why?", it would make for an interesting discussion :)