What Learning Javascript in 2016 Feels Like...

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by antipody, Oct 10, 2016.

1. deepspring

deepspring Member

Thanks for the links to the books. :leet:

That's been my experience with learning modern JS as well. Very frustrating.

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Same. My CS degree major was Software Engineering, but I honestly can't think of anything I'd rather do less in modern day CS.

Kudos to anyone who does. We need good software. But it just sounds like a total shitfight. (Who an I kidding though, all of CS/IT is a shitfight).

3. yoink

yoink Member

Whenever anyone asks me to help them with JavaScript, I need two things:

• A succint (minimal) codepen example
    • A concise description of what they're trying to do

Often people work it out whilst constructing the example, but if not it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes of effort to set up. If you give up before spending 5 minutes to create an example when stuck, then maybe JavaScript isn't for you.

Note: Developing ES6 or TS using babel other transpilers is a bit of a mess - but sites such as codepen have the transpilers built in, so it's a great place to learn without the hassle of setting up your own environment. They also have tutorials. Of course, you should learn the basics first, before getting into any framework or library.

4. w0ng

w0ng Member

That's not fair. When someone needs help, they'll often give you 5-10min drawing circles, squares, arrows + a few words on a whiteboard and 5-55min talking with you. If they can reduce something to 5mins on codepen, they can most likely reduce it by a further 4min by Googling.

5. yoink

yoink Member

Haha :lol:

6. w0ng

w0ng Member

^That wasn't a joke. Whiteboarding + face-to-face discussions are literally how problems are resolved.