1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

What makes for a great motherboard?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Krumm, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Krumm

Krumm Member

So I'm beginning to clean up some of the computers that I have received across the years from repairing / upgrades as I have amassed a small collection. I am wondering though as I have never really understood what it is that makes a board great? Is it the chipset, CPU support, pretty colour pcb, combination of the above? I've seen shane in particular post a number of boards of late and besides some having pretty coloured pcb's I don't really know of their appeal.

So I don't get rid of something useful I am keen to learn what makes a motherboard great and if there's any decent ones I have spare then put them up for grabs. Come across a lot of low end socket 478 boards with Celeron's but have poor support for P4's so to me they seem junk.

2. Rubens

Rubens Member

Obscurity, aesthetics, support, stability and performance are what makes a good board to me. As long as its not anything P4 haha.

3. partybear

partybear Member

All I care about is if it is good for overclocking or not.

4. bYrd

bYrd Member

A good retro motherboard is usually what was once a high-end board of the time - with the best chipset, tweakability and reliability.

5. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

One that works and isn't covered in battery acid :D

6. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Yep, the coveted boards for that time - e.g. Abit NF7-S for the Socket A era, FIC PA-2013 for Super Socket 7, ASUS PCI/I-486SV2 for Socket 3.

7. shane41

shane41 Member

P4 are junk, send to Phil he likes them :tongue:

Collectible:

486 & older " not killed by leaked battery " not oem's
    586 to socket 7 " good brands " x2 types of mem's x2 power input
    Socket 7 & Super 7 " tier 1 boards, good brands " ATX with ps2 better accepted for ease of setting up.
    370. Dual sockets, Tantalin boards, 1mhz OC in bios
    Slot 1 & A " Better brands "
    Socket A/462. Anything Nforce 2. Abit & Asus fantastic.
    P4..........move along :sick:
    939. Dfi the best, still some others good as well.
    775. Abit Dfi killer boards here to collect.

Anything Abit, not matter socket in fact. Big $$ in future, even now demand a far bit. Far less of this brand now for sale on ebay etc. Down 100% on previous years for what's available now.

8. Rezin

Rezin Member

I need to organise a Phil-box. Got a lot of old crap gear that he'd probably like.

9. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

How much are Epox boards demanding in general?

10. badmofo

badmofo Member

Yep, these are my requirements too. :thumbup:

I'll add 'cheap as chips' and 'common as dirt' to the feature list because I like to have a backup without breaking the bank.

11. dacow

dacow Member

To further elaborate on this, one's without fake caches :thumbup::thumbup:

12. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Yes please :D

That would be awesome!

Now regarding Krumm's question. There are so many angles to this question, it's really hard to answer.

When I browse for a motherboard I do like a branded board (Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte, Intel...) because of online documentation and drivers. For Intel, I always go with an Intel chipset board, for AMD either Nvidia or AMD chipsets. Unless older gear, here you have no choice but to use boards with VIA, ALI, UMC... chipsets.

For older boards, once you do a bit of research and browse around, the popular brands and models keep getting mentioned.

Anything special, like Millennium editions, Platinum editions and whatnot will always command a hefty premium.

13. shane41

shane41 Member

US prices are ridiculous. Socket A $30US for generic shit. Rare stuff, socket super seven $100-150US. If you'll ever see it again, looked for ages.

EURO shopping more realistic.
    Socket A bit less. 939 about 30EUR+ good models. Slot A 85EUR ;)

14. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Don't discount shopping local, you can save with shipping and local prices can be great because of the exchange rate when shopping overseas.

You might have to wait a bit longer for items though.

Super Socket 7 though, too late to the party. Everyone has hooked up, left are only, well, non desirable boards :lol:

15. shane41

shane41 Member

Bah......you's in dream land Phil. Ebay AU is sucky town on parts.
    10 years will pass till I find the good parts. :tired::tired::tired:

eg. $15US. Mine now BNIB. :leet: All the floppy's & crapola that should be with a new board. Arguably on of the best & scsi too.

http://ixbtlabs.com/articles/msik7tmaster/

16. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Diagree. I actually got most my parts from AU.

Half of my SS7 ATX boards, some 386 gear, old Sound Blaster cards, Voodoo 4 and 5 and much more. Intel board with 875 chipset went for a dollar just the other day, can sell for ~ $100 if you just run a search. 486 from captain hook in WA too :D Just got to be patient.

To be honest, bargains can be made everywhere! I don't limit myself to one market, some parts are so much easier to get in the US, others locally, others from Europe. Got to get them all :D

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  17. shane41

shane41 Member

My life force is draining......................................... :lol:
    Fair enough if your 30+ age collecting. Then you have enough time.
    I'll say it again Ebay AU sucks balls for decent parts.

My first ss7 took 4 months to locate iirc. Start looking UK & US after that & BAM !! They're bloody everywhere. I know, been buying the bastards 2+ years & plenty of the members in here benefited from that shopping.

Ask yourself why you see NO Super seven now :confused: Because I bought them all :p

Old ones like 486, they're hit & miss on running. I'll avoid those mostly.
    Even basic socket 7 with a Pentium 200, still good. Most I plug in run, give them a 95% sucess rate after 20 years. + they're still cheap.

Best socket of all time was the Super Seven. When different brand CPU ran in the one board. These are the most collectible & reliable & versatile.
    Anything else is a compromise.

Where do your P4 fit in this scheme. In your house only :lol:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  18. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Yea and I still disagree. You are just too late. I was recommending people to use Socket 7 back in 2010!

A friendly OCAUer sold me a big retro starter pack. It had like 6 motherboards, CPUs, RAM, GPUs and all sorts of things for maybe 50 bucks shipped. Two ATX SS7 boards from AOpen and Iwill and lots of other goodies. But on the forums everyone was building high-end 486 machines running at 133 MHz, but nobody built around a Pentium or K6.

That kit started everything for me. I did my first videos with S-Video capture back then.

19. shane41

shane41 Member

err..........not too late. I have plenty of the ones I like. ;);)

2016 too late now though. Stupid inflated prices on a few scarce SS7.

20. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Socket A and Socket 478 (!) are where the bargains are at these days.

Shame about the capacitor scourge.