[WIN8] What MS needs to do to make 8 great (Developer & User perspective)

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by GregDude, Mar 10, 2013.

1. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I figured the homegroup wizards were designed to stop the requirement of all the nitty-gritty stuff for home users, and if you wanted it specifically, then server 2012 would be a better option? Some of the role configuration tools in server 2012 are quiet sexy.

2. Linkin

Linkin Member

All I want from W8:

The Windows 7 Start Menu & the ability to completely disable metro

The rest of the OS makes me happy, including hardware acceleration for audio

3. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

I disagree, the XP shell (as used in x64 desktop and 2003 server) were the epitome of "just works".
    There's lots and lots of nice enhancements under the shell of V-7-8 and their server counterparts, but the abomination "2 clicks wasn't enuff so lets make it 4 or 5 or 6 to do the same thing" shell makes me want to set fire to Balmer's face.

Homegroup fails in a non-pure environment. Then again, I've never seen the issue with the old fashioned workgroups stuff that just worked (and still does just work).

4. Joe 98

Joe 98 Member

Sorry does not work!

I have a occasional use for Wordpad and Notepad both of which have been in Windows for donkeys years.

Both appear on the C drive.

Neither appear in the apps list.

I placed icons for both on the desktop.

Still, neither appear in he apps list. Why is that?

5. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Its also extremely clumsy when you have lots of additional apps installed.

6. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Checked, it does work.

All Apps -> Windows Accessories -> Notepad / Wordpad

7. 300ohm

300ohm Member

It can also be found at C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Accessories

8. s.Neo

s.Neo Member

I can't see this happening.

Lets pretend for a moment Windows RT doesn't exist, only Windows 8 pro. If your driver is financial gain, what motivation is there to develop 'Windows App Store' apps, knowing the only distribution method of these apps is via the Windows Store, and Microsoft instantly takes a 30% cut of any revenue? As a developer why lock yourself into that eco system and give MS all the power when you can develop 'traditional' apps instead?

With regards to Windows RT - it's a business decision by MS to lock it down to only being able to install apps from the Windows Store.

This is MS's move to own the OS and the application eco system, ie to go from a semi open OS to a closed one.

9. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

MS takes 20% should your app make 20k. Which makes it potentially better than iOS or Android in terms of making money.

It's beneficial to developers because your app is searchable, marketable, and has a much higher chance of being noticed with far less effort on the developers half who often don't know whats required in marketing an application.

10. s.Neo

s.Neo Member

And by doing so you're locked in. Apps that go to through the MS store need to be 'certified' by Microsoft, they get to choose what makes it to the store and what doesn't. They get to dictate the standards your app must adhere to - goodbye innovation. You can't take your application and distribute it via any other method.

Today it's 20% or 30%, tomorrow it might be more. Don't like it? What are you going to do?

11. Linkin

Linkin Member

12. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

I guess you're not a programmer, otherwise you wouldn't write such dribble.

13. ledhead900

ledhead900 Member

I ran into a similar issue on Win Server 2012 using search does not yield very good results either if you only use partial names. You have the issue where pinned apps will re align themselves if you drag another pinned app down the grid to another spot or next to a pinned app icon a row down or up? That one is really annoying.

14. Great_Guru

Great_Guru Member

HP definitely do offer it with a lot of their business line. Unsure of consumer level stuff, maybe select models.

Unsure if the likes of Dell and others are doing it.