What old portable do you still use ?>

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by Current, Aug 10, 2021.

1. Current

Current New Member

Good evening everyone. So I thought i would get started with what i thought is an interesting topic.

What old piece of hardware that you still use today because it peaked and never got better post your model, or for ______ reason ( please put in your post ), are you still using this _____ .

I'll go first

For me.

IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad w520 ( workstation version of the t520 ) new in 2011, so it's hit 10 years old :O

The one im using has usb3, 1080p 15.6" screen, 3 hard drives in it ( 2 of which are SSD's ) and that amazing keyboard that went downhill in my honest opinion since the model after this one where they pretty much copied apple in " island" keys in chiclet style. and 4 slots for ram sticks, ( using 2x8gb, with 2 more for later on to 32gb :D )

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  2. slavewone

slavewone Member

Used my Walkman as a radio today, it’s a 1999 model! Are the broken rubber bands in the cassette deck fixable?

3. mr camouflage

mr camouflage Member

Posting this on a 2010 MacBook Air. Haven't bothered upgrading since it is still perfectly usable in 2021.
    Thinking of upgrading to a M1 mac soon though.

Yep you just need the model number to get the correct size replacement belts eg: https://www.ebay.com/itm/DeckTech-R...2065-WMF2065-Rubber-Drive-Belts-/223469068681

slavewone likes this.
  4. Narcoticx2

Narcoticx2 Member

I just looked it up and it's technically just outside of retro but at 9 years old it's certainly old... Still use my clevo p170em as my backup/kitchen table gaming PC. 17" beast, 4c/8t i7, 4 ram slots, 3 hard drives plus DVD, subwoofer, spacious backlit keyboard, and a dedicated and very upgradable GPU (along with upgradable everything else).

5. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

i just fired up my partners old asus zenbook ux21e
    Surprisingly ok for day to day tasks 10 years later (though the battery is stuffed and windows 7 + 4gb of ram doesnt really cut it for too much multitasking)

6. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

W520 with 32gb here as a daily driver.

Why? Cause it runs perfectly for coding / docker, and vim works.

Vanne likes this.
  7. BistecConBigote

BistecConBigote Member

Still using a Nexus 7 tablet... Eventually will have to abandon it due to Android incompatibility, but until then its still perfectly serviceable.

8. colmaz

colmaz Member

MSI Wind U100 that I picked up around early 2009. I've upgraded it to 2GB of RAM and switched out the HDD for a 60GB SSD. I had to replace the touchpad ribbon on it at one point. Battery life is abysmal so it is only used on power these days.

It now runs CentOS and is used primarily for flashing custom firmware on Tuya devices. It gets dusted off every couple of months or so atm. It was dormant for a fair while but I couldn't justify selling it for what I'd get so I just kept it around. I've run Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu and CentOS on it over the years. It was my first laptop and I even managed to get it working with my mobile phone for internet on the go.

9. OP
    OP
    Current

Current New Member

Virtual Hi Five :D

I use the same laptop.

what do you mean by VIM ? and yeah i should bust out the docking station and connect the 30" dell :D and external KB to do some coding

10. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

vim - https://www.vim.org/

I use Linux and choose IBM laptop / workstations for the keyboard with the red nub so I can turn off the trackpad and keep my hands on the keyboard, I also use a tiling windows manager - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiling_window_manager because using a mouse is inefficient when typing IMO.

I use the docking station and displayport to connect to a 32" 4K monitor and mechanical keyboard when I'm at home.

The only downside is battery life, I switched to 9 cell batteries and carry 2 which gives me 6-8hrs without additional power, plus the additional weight is beneficial when carrying the backpack helps with leg and back workout while walking. ;)

32G memory
    Code:
    sudo dmidecode -t 17
    # dmidecode 3.2
    Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.
    SMBIOS 2.6 present.

Handle 0x0006, DMI type 17, 28 bytes
    Memory Device
        Array Handle: 0x0005
        Error Information Handle: Not Provided
        Total Width: 64 bits
        Data Width: 64 bits
        Size: 8192 MB
        Form Factor: SODIMM
        Set: None
        Locator: ChannelA-DIMM0
        Bank Locator: BANK 0
        Type: DDR3
        Type Detail: Synchronous
        Speed: 1333 MT/s
        Manufacturer: 0000
        Serial Number: 00000000
        Asset Tag: 9876543210
        Part Number: Not Specified

Handle 0x0007, DMI type 17, 28 bytes
    Memory Device
        Locator: ChannelA-DIMM1
        Bank Locator: BANK 1

Handle 0x0008, DMI type 17, 28 bytes
    Memory Device
        Locator: ChannelB-DIMM0
        Bank Locator: BANK 2

Handle 0x0009, DMI type 17, 28 bytes
    Memory Device
        Locator: ChannelB-DIMM1
        Bank Locator: BANK 3

Vanne likes this.
  11. Vanne

Vanne Member

Lol heavy clunker helps with leg and back workout.. hahaha that’s awesome!!!!

12. callan

callan Member

An old eMachines netbook from 2010.
    Phattened up to an awesome 2Gig RAM, and a rip-snorting 250Gig SSD I found behind the couch, and updated to the latest and greatest Windows7 32bit OS (none of this XP rubbish it came with).

The original battery is (naturally ) stuffed, and after failing to find anyone to repack it, I found some new third party batteries - got a 3cell and a 12Cell version - and they work a treat.

It's small and light, has Wifi (and with a stub dongle 2.5 and 5Ghz Wifi), an Ethernet port (try getting one of these days on a notebook). 3 USB ports and a VGA output. I use it primarily in concert with an old Creative labs USB sound card. This card has a phono input with RIAA equalizer, and is awesome at ripping records. No drivers for it support 64bit operating systems, and the "generic" USB sound card driver doesn't allow for input selection. The nice phatt battery lasts for about 9 hours.
    Compared to todays models (including the Lenovo number I'm using now), it's rather brain damaged, but I still like it, and use it semi-regularly. It has, also an awesome keyboard.

Gateway.jpg

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
  13. OP
    OP
    Current

Current New Member

That is awesome :)

one thing i have noticed is that 'things' released later seem to have worse keyboard than those that came before them :/

callan likes this.
  14. Lem0n

Lem0n Member

I'm running an X230 with i5-3320m, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD and migrated over to Linux given the way Windows 10 and 11 are going in terms of ads and privacy. Continues to work very well for my light every day tasks, but the battery is completely gone and I need to use it plugged in all the time. Unfortunately the cost of a replacement battery is prohibitive and instead I am on the hunt for a cheap low powered alternative. Hoping Apples success with M1 will spur development in this area as ARM chips appear to be both cheap and power efficient.

I have tried to revive an old netbook with an N450, but these seem to be far too slow for modern webpages to be useful, even with very lightweight Linux distros!

15. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Posting from a Dell E6330 lappie. i5, 8GB, 256 SSD, running Win 10. Replaced the battery a few year ago and still get about 2 hours surfing.

16. Toast84

Toast84 Member

Dell e6430 i7. Has heating issues even after replacing fan.

17. OP
    OP
    Current

Current New Member

change the thermal paste under the heatsinks