1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

What phone for seniors?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by slashnet, Sep 14, 2021.

1. slashnet

slashnet Member

Ok so my mum is looking for a new phone, she currently has an old HTC One Max which she finds it hard to use at times.

Just after recommendations.

She suggested an galaxy s20 or s10 but it might be a bit too much phone for her.

I was thinking along the lines of a Galaxy A12.

What are your thoughts or even suggestions for any other brands.

Thanks

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

It really depends on how advanced (or rather, not advanced) your senior is. My mum is almost completely technologically illiterate and requires assistance with any phone, even simple ones, so it's extremely frustrating at times.

We've managed to find her this flip phone (she likes flips for some reason) which works pretty well with big buttons and easy to navigate menus. She doesn't need all the smart stuff, that just complicates things. So this is basically a dumb phone which was pretty cheap at about $100 at the time:

https://asperamobile.com/phones/easy-phones/aspera-f24/

Battery lasted for a few years and I've just grabbed a replacement for it as it had died.

3. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

IMO the only answer is an iphone. She won't need the latest one, but even my dad and mum can use one pretty confidently

doug81 likes this.
  4. kogi

kogi Member

Same, recently upgrade the olds to iphone XR. Pretty good for $600

5. doug81

doug81 Member

Yep, my grandma is rocking the iphone 5s and she's managing well enough. Having a button to just go back to the start makes life easy when they get stuck doing something.

6. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

7. Penfold

Penfold Member

If shes used the HTC One Max maybe a Moto G10 could be the go (I get my parents the Moto G range every few years)

8. slavewone

slavewone Member

My SO’s granny (90’s) got our hand me down Original SE. I’ve upped size of the text and hooked it up to her hearing aid.

It began painfully but didn’t take her much to get use to it just as soon as she started using it DAILY because lockdown.

FaceTime just works and let’s her calls the kids iPods too. I guess the Apple ecosystem has taken hold of us.