What PSU Specs for a GTX570?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by LeWidget, Dec 9, 2015.

1. LeWidget

LeWidget Member

Hi Guys,

picked up a (Gigabyte) GTX570 recently (upgrade from GTS250), but it would seem, shortly after starting to play a game, the whole PC just shuts off (never use to do this with old card).

I had a quick google and from I can tell, I "might" be in need of a new PSU?

My current PSU is an ANTEC Truepower 2.0 550W,

[​IMG]

I read somewhere the GTX570 needs 38A on the 12v...

I currently have the latest driver installed.. 359.06, which I selected the option to 'clean install' during installation of the driver.

other specs are,

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
    8gb Corsair vengence 1600mhz RAM
    AMD Phenom 955 BE Quad CPU
    ASUS MA87TD-USB motherboard

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  2. [UGG]Wumba

[UGG]Wumba Member

That photo would indicate your power supply is 350W, not 550.

3. OP
    OP
    LeWidget

LeWidget Member

oops, wrong pic.. updated pic in original post.

4. Thrawn

Thrawn Member

Its a dual rail PSU. You should plug both the power plugs on the GTX 570 on different rails.

GTX 570 by itself would use around 20A. Which doesn't necessarily leave a lot for the rest of the system, depending on the rest of the system specs

5. OP
    OP
    LeWidget

LeWidget Member

Thanks Thrawn :)

so each of the two 12v rails runs at 12v19A? and the gfx card would use about 20A (10A from each rail?) leaving 10A available on each 12v rail?

I also have connected,

1x SATA DVD/RW
    1x Western Digital 2tb Caviar Green
    1x Western Digital 1tb Caviar Black

I don't really have a high end system, it's several years old. The PSU though is probably around 8yrs.. but never had an issue.

Is it possible, like the CPU, if the GPU reaches a certain temp, it will cut power to the system ?

6. Thrawn

Thrawn Member

Power usage is separate to temps really...

The CPU/motherboard matters too. Say you're running an overclocked i7 920 or Bulldozer/Phenom II. That can pull 200 watts by itself.

If you still have insufficient power, you can start undervolting CPU or GPU. Underclocking CPU or GPU. Disable CPU cores, etc.

7. O-B-E-L-I-X

O-B-E-L-I-X Member

The Nvidia specs http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-570/specifications and the reviews suggest that this card uses around 220 Watts which would be around 18 Amps.

As stated before, make sure that one of the plugs (6/8 pin) connected to the card is on the +12V1 rail and the other on the +12V2 rail. If both of them are connected on the same rail then the PSU would shut down during high load due to current overdraw.

If this doesn't work then the PSU might be faulty...

GTS 250 only uses 150W/12.5A...

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  8. OP
    OP
    LeWidget

LeWidget Member

How do I check if they are connected to same rail or not?

They both have their own separate wiring to the PSU

[​IMG]

might try a Molex > 6pin PCI-E power for one of the power connectors.. see how that goes.

I have that Heaven benchmark software installed.. about 4sec after starting it, PC shuts off completely..

9. ginger_nuts

ginger_nuts Member

10. OP
    OP
    LeWidget

LeWidget Member

Thanks Ginger, :)

Just an Update, I had a look at the card and I think it is an OC version.

Gigabyte GV-N570OC-13I rev 2.0

http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3895#ov

Gigabyte says;

"Minimum 600W or greater system power supply with two 6-pin external power connectors"

Is there a way to under-clock the card back to reference speed (732mhz) and will it make much difference in power requirements ?

[​IMG]

11. O-B-E-L-I-X

O-B-E-L-I-X Member

Looks like you only have 2 PCIE power connectors so they should have been wired correctly from the factory. Try the MOLEX on different cables and see how you go.

This PSU should have been sufficient for this card however it's very old, 2006, http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=22 so it could be on it's last legs and it's tripping, unless there is something else wrong with your system.

12. ginger_nuts

ginger_nuts Member

They are very nice cards, I have recently sold two of them, due to upgrading etc.

Yes you can underclock and undervolt them, For a beginner I recommend MSI Afterburner.

Will it make a difference to power usage or performance ? Very little on both fronts most likely, but you will have to try and sample, as benchmarks are not actual games.

As I had it put to me once, a PSU is like an insurance plan, If something goes wrong, you hope you have a nice new one (99% of the time better PSU's shut down before anything bad happens) and slightly over sized is better then undersized.

13. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

PSU's is a part i have never skimped on. Sometimes in builds will skimp on ram/motherboard/gfx if its just for gaming, but never skimp on the PSU

remember a few from S939 and ddr1 s775 days blowing up and taking other components with them. Have not seen that in some time.

14. OP
    OP
    LeWidget

LeWidget Member

I used MSI Afterburner and reduced Core Voltage to 730mhz and increased fan to 100% (incase there was some heating issue).

I ran Heaven benchmark demo using Directx9, No Antiliasing and low quality graphics.. ran fine for couple minutes.. increased to medium graphics.. ran fine, increased to high, ran fine... FPS was around 30 +/- , temperature was about 60c +/- .. but after that, I switched back to low graphics ( I was going to enable AntiLiasing + low graphics and go from there) .. but then PC powered off... :/

At this stage, might head over to friends house, try on their PC.. pretty sure they have 750w or 850w PSU..

15. ginger_nuts

ginger_nuts Member

I had a relative bring their PC around, apparently making a bad buzzing sound, thinking all good, probably needs a good clean out. I gave it a clean, turned her on (no side cover) about 5 seconds later I was watching the PSU burn, flames and black smoke pillowing out the back.

Another occassion a friends PC PSU had shorted out, and took the motherboard. Killed it dead.

Like insurance, a good one is worth the extra IMO

16. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

Absolutely. i remember when i first started using corsair/enermax psus 6 years ago, and changing from cheap shaw/coolermaster psus.

Just the weight difference alone. Most decent psu's have a decent weight too them.

@ OP. if your card works in a friends PC, i would invest in a solid 650W+ PSU. You want modular (may not be important too you), at at least 80+ Bronze effeciency (personally i use gold+ but bronze are fine for every day use)

17. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Its highly unlikely that after 8 years of use that the PSU is capable of delivering its stickered power ratings, nor is its supplied DC as clean as it was when new. Capacitors do not age well and Antecs of that era did run a little warmer than advisable for their capacitor ratings.

I'd toss it. Buy a new one, preferably a good solid brand name sticker on a good solid OEM build with a single large 12v rail.

18. Thrawn

Thrawn Member

Antec Truepower 2.0 aren't exactly generics...

Its no cheapo when it was new, its not like generics where it lacks protection and more likely to take out components when it dies.

If you're on a strict budget.. I'd rather undervolt components and shave 80w off the top-end power requirements. You should be able to save around 20-30w undervolting the Phenom 955BE whilst maintaining stock clocks. Undervolt and underclock the GPU to save a further 50W.

If you've really got money to spend.. buy a secondhand GTX 660 for around $75. Draws 80w less than a 570 for slightly better performance.

19. onthepulse

onthepulse Member

See if you can borrow someone else PSU for testing. Would help you rule that in or out as the cause. A 2nd-hand PSU on the forums won't be too much - if you can say definitively that the PSU is the issue.

Definitely worth testing another one - to be sure to be sure.

EDIT: I ran my GTX570 for years on an Antec 900 Gamer. A lot more wattage. But not an expensive PSU. Sure you could pick something up cheap. Not sure where you are: location?

20. OP
    OP
    LeWidget

LeWidget Member

Thanks guys,

ill try it out first in friends PC, see how it goes.

Is buying a 2nd hand PSU worth it ? or too risky?

I had a quick google, for a 650w, price seems to be around $85 that's for a Corsair VS650.. unless should I look at 750w? they seem to be around the $130mark

Hawkesbury, New South Wales