What retro activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. shane41

shane41 Member

2. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Yeah, but more interested in getting the C64 first.

3. jmannik

jmannik Member

I just have a real distaste for P4 based systems, friend got a P4 1.6GHz with RDRAM and I had a Duron 1200 at the time... my system outperformed his in every way. My Athlon XP machines after that outperformed all the P4 systems I encountered.
    I went from a Duron 1200 --> XP 1800+ --> 2400+ --> 2500+ overclocked (3200+ by raising the bus from 333 to 400) so there is a lot of centimental value there too.

Thanks sir, I have the knowhow, technology and time to replace the caps on these boards, but alas not the capacitors until I order some on payday.
    I am unfortunately working with Via KT133 (non A) boards, KT600 board which complains of bad ram no matter what (possibly another cap job) and a KT266 (again non A) which is locking up (pretty sure its caps again)

I have a batch of 3 inch floppy disks for the CPC464 if its the floppy disk version.

4. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

I just have the main unit with the inbuilt tape. havent got a FDD for the CPC464. thank you though :)

5. shane41

shane41 Member

Give RS-Online a go for your caps.
    Not matter if non a chipsets all good. I've been saving some early KT133 etc.
    Good for thunderbird machines. Still hunting that Athlon 1400, all too expensive when I look. But lockups as you describe " always not trust rams "

Many a time brought me unstuck, even on the modern systems Am2+ Am3 & the latest Intels with ddr3. Hope you have a good assortment of rams anyway. PC2100 are always handy for testing

6. jmannik

jmannik Member

Tested with about 20ish different sticks, its most likely a cap issue.
    I am just waiting for my payday, just started a new job, so it will be a little while before I do an order of capacitors, then I will do a large one.

7. shane41

shane41 Member

That's a bugger. Is it likely the bigger caps then 1000uF & up?
    Do you like Nforce2 boards? I notice all the ones your fixing are Via.

8. jmannik

jmannik Member

Ultimately I would love to get a Gigabyte 7N400 Pro2 motherboard, which is the same as the board I used to have and get an xp2500 for it.

I only have Via boards because thats what I have aquired over the months, i actually prefer nforce 2 boards. I just havent been given one yet, although as I mentioned above I have a specific model I would like.

9. shane41

shane41 Member

I had a Gigabyte ga-7n400, was one of my first socket A's

Not easy champ! gigabyte ga-7n400 pro2

I've looked ebay & nada. Have seen that Pro < non 2 > version before where the pcb has the solder pads for additional vertical power supply. Maybe x2 in 6 months.

You have more chance of winning lottery :shock: than someone just handing you that board. I can help you now if you'll take another nforce2 board interim.
    I'll hunt that board now, socketA's can go cheap if not pro seller. But if shop sells it prepare 40euro + ship. Better boards around that now s/h even more some models.

EDIT OK found it. :D

Stupid title naming " GIGABYTE Technology " no wonder a simple search not find it. Toss 20 pound at it champ may win it. Then about $60AU all up to get it here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262336201694?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  10. partybear

partybear Member

What is the difference between the non pro and the pro 2 version.

11. atmo

atmo Member

12. shane41

shane41 Member

:eek: Game dud..............over priced by 40 clams, no thanks

Edit some light reading
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/1321

Remember when second generation Nforce2 400fsb boards came out? Mid 2003 or later?
    Everyone was looking at the Nforce3 64bit kits instead, these socketA's were mostly forgotten.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  13. jmannik

jmannik Member

Thanks, I am not in a hurry and don't have spare funds right now (the fun of changing pay cycles when starting a new job) so it will be a few weeks before cash is stable again and I can afford to spend money I don't need to lol.

The reason for the specific motherboard is purely nostalgia reasons, nothing more.

14. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Welcome to episode 3 of Intel vs AMD!

Thanks to the nForce2 chipset and fast dual channel memory, the Athlon XP 3200+ got pretty close to the Pentium 4.

Viewers asked me to use a faster graphics card and also check out the Intel 875 chipset compared to the 865 chipset I used before.

So in this video we will see what the results look like with the 6800 GT and the 875 chipset.

Motherboards used in this video include the Gigabyte GA-7VT600, Abit NF7-S, AOpen MX4SG-4DN and Intel D875PBZ.

Processors used are the Athlon XP 3200+, Pentium 4 3.0 and 3.2 GHz with hyper threading.

I am using two sticks of 1 GB Corsair memory at 3-3-3-8 timings. The memory supports 2-3-3-6 timings, but requires a higher voltage of 2.75 V, and because not all motherboards support higher memory voltage I leave them at the default settings to make sure they are consistent.

The graphics card is a MSI 6800 GT and I am using a different graphics driver this time: ForceWare 93.71, which is faster and doesn't cause the crash in 3DMark2003 nature test on the Athlon XP.

I expanded the range of benchmarks, now we also have X2 The Threat, Comanche 4 and Far Cry. I removed F.E.A.R. as it was too much dependent on the graphics card, I will be using it again when we move to PCIe systems. The other benchmarks are 3DMark2001 SE, 3DMark03, AquaMark 3, Codecreatures Pro, Serious Sam Second Encounter and Doom 3.

Will the 6800 GT change the outcome and is the 875 chipset worth getting?

Also, make sure you watch the end for a teaser about the next episode!

Enjoy this video!

15. jay-stormchaser

jay-stormchaser Member

Excellent video Phill.

I remember fondly looking at the back of PC powerplay and thinking how hard could it be to build one of those Athlon XP machines.
    I procrastinated for so long the Athlon 64 cpu's came out and made my mind up. (still wussed out and paid someone to build it for me)

Took me 20 years to get into pc gaming yet I still get all nostalgic for my old socket 939 setup.

16. atmo

atmo Member

Great video Phil :thumbup:

Results are as expected, except for just how close the 865 and 875 are. I thought there might have been a bit more in it.

I don't think AMD were being deliberately optimistic with the performance rating, but the whole thing was a bad idea from the outset. Intel did force the hand of AMD's marketing department as everything was about Mhz back then and to the average consumer a P4 1.7 sounded like it would perform better than an Athlon 1.4. The numbers they chose were pretty conservative compared to a P4A (a 1700+ was noticeably faster than a P4 1.7), but by the time Intel doubled the FSB, doubled the cache and added hyperthreading it all became meaningless. AMD could have dropped the naming convention with the introduction of the A64, that they kept it going all the way up to the 6400+ shows how ridiculous it had become.

17. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

The P4 only hit its stride when the 865/875 chipsets came out with Northwood (P4C). Prior and after where shite.

18. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Thank you :)

You should enjoy the next few episodes...

Cheers :)

Yea with the chipset, a lot depends on the board and BIOS. These don't have memory controllers in the CPU yet, so there are differences between boards. The Intel is an average 875 board, so maybe the AOpen is a fast 865 board, hard to say.

I remember that back in 2003 / 2004 I chose an Intel. The memory is fuzzy, but I'm sure I did my research and I ended up with an Asus 865 chipset board and a Pentium 4 2.6 GHz.

I was a happy camper and had a great time playing Far Cry, Call of Duty, Medal of Honour and Halo. The 3 to 4 years before that I was not doing anything computer related, so maybe got in at the right time, but it was one of my best machines I ever had and I have great memories.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  19. neoprint

neoprint Member

Was the recorded 3dmark runs etc in your video actual benchmark runs? Because they all looked vsync locked which would have messed with the results. I'm assuming not though and I'm just being an idiot

20. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Nicely spotted. The videos in the background were recorded separately with v-sync on to avoid tearing :) It just looks calmer / nicer that way.