What retro activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. shane41

shane41 Member

So 2.2ghz vs 3.0ghz OR 3.2ghz. Sure dem intels in the lead :lol:
    Nice video Phil, very slick the way you done it :thumbup:

2. partybear

partybear Member

You forget to mention in the video that the pentium 4 was like 50% more expensive then the 3200+ for the cpu alone.

3. )(arg0n

)(arg0n Member

Which was why AMD dominated during this era, hardly anyone was running Intel that I knew, too expensive with minimal performance gain.

4. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Yea not really relevant what it cost back in the day, P4s can be had for peanuts. Athlon 64 4000+ was a $800 processor, who cares, now that chip is also quite cheap. EE and FX are a different story, they still hold some value.

If you are into AMD I'd skip Socket A and go straight to 754 and 939.

5. atmo

atmo Member

Intel have always been expensive at the top end.

Their mid range pricing wasn't so bad though. If you were starting from scratch in ~2003 the price difference between a P4C 2.4/865 system and an XP2500+/Nforce2 system wasn't huge and both platforms had plenty of overclocking potential.

6. shane41

shane41 Member

Socket A are awesome & cheap atm. Skip nothing :tongue:
    3200+ cheap too :D

Cannot be said for 939, not the bidding I've seen lately anyway

7. )(arg0n

)(arg0n Member

It's not at all relevant now but it was back then. Most of us could only dream of buying Intel for financial reasons so comparing your budget AMD to Intel's equivalent in terms of benchmarking or friendly banter at lans formed a massive part of the culture back then.

I have a skt A system but mostly for nostalgia reasons, if it dies I don't think I'll go out of my way to source another. I also have the equivalent P4 which I could never have brought back then, it feels really solid but less responsive than the AMD box.

Already ahead of you on the 939 front. I stayed with that skt for as long as I could in a bid to save some money while studying, ended up accumulating a lot of spares. 939 felt really solid but I have had a really bad run with finding decent working motherboards over the years, they all seem to have bit the dust, especially if theres ANY sign of any contact with moisture. I have had P3 systems with rusty heatsinks that boot up fine though.

8. shane41

shane41 Member

Amd was underdog & had loyal following for a long time. Cost was a big factor back then. Intel was out of reach for me too.
    But that xp1800 processor & gigabyte board was in reach just.

Thinking now that ram stick back then was $180 for 256mb
    Now you can buy 16gb :D Yehah progress

Been negotiating this gem :weirdo: over 4 bloody days. Just gotta pay the ferry man

[​IMG]

9. Oblivion-330

Oblivion-330 Member

That 'dual power system' board is interesting Shane!

10. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

I knew a couple of guys who had the gigabyte dual power board and neither had them very long... they were apparently a bit flaky.

11. Grant

Grant Member

I had one of those, it died... it lasted a few years, and looking at those caps it could've been just a bad one, but I never liked the power board and chipset coolers, and it could very well have been the silicon that failed.

Awesome to see a pristine board like that again though! :)

12. shane41

shane41 Member

Seller says worked when he packed it away :thumbup: Guys I notice some of you having bad luck with busted boards. Yes it can be capacitors. A technician friend of mine says " use it or loose it " Electronics are like that. You must keep using them. Store them away & later you have trouble.

I offer to help but you all too proud to ask :confused: Get onto these beautiful socket A & 939 boards all the time. I am letting so many go now it's not funny, my collecting has just about run it's course. Only the power supplies are in need now.

13. jmannik

jmannik Member

Not too proud... Fearful that my gf's good humor with my collection may sour if I go overboard. So basically my collection is complete now, I just have to wait till I find an Atari 1040stfm or ste, and a c64. I will still get that gigabyte socket a board but not yet. Next on the list of things to do is replace my jumble of cases with more modern airflow and physical space optimized designs. I kinda want to have a standard case for all my pcs

14. )(arg0n

)(arg0n Member

Ha that sounds familiar -
    AMD Athlon XP 1800+
    Epox 8k3a+ motherboard
    256mb DDR333 ($180 sounds about right)
    GeForce4 MX440L (still have this - would have killed for something better in the day but it did the job - just)
    20gb IDE drive which was free from the high school

Asetek watercooling was installed at some point in an effort to get the noise down, did a wonderful job, didn't like the maintenance though.

Didn't even have to think about those specs for a minute, can't tell you what motherboard I'm running in any of my rigs these days though, apart from the fact there all gigabyte.

15. shane41

shane41 Member

16. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Not surprised. That was the chip which beat Intel to 1GHz and was the last of the Slot A CPU's. So it was a big deal back then and no doubt is a highly sort after item for any CPU collectors for those reasons alone. Was also very expensive at the time so not many could afford one back then but can now.

Loved the Slot A's and if I was to stretch my current interest in retro computing from the XT's to 486/Pentium's to include the 1GHz era I would definitely find room for the Slot A's. I think I mentioned this before but AMD at the time were binning higher spec'd CPU's into the lower speeds because they were getting such good yields. It was quite a thrill to find out that the Athlon 500 you scrimped and saved up for could be hiding a 550/600 or even a 650 core inside which was essentially giving you a free CPU upgrade. :thumbup:

17. shane41

shane41 Member

Ah good stuff Julian :thumbup: Unfortunately out of my price range, kind of happy with the 700-800mhz ones.

I'll have some slotA combos arriving soon.
    Do you have a favorite board? I'll send you up one if I have double ups :D
    Done me some solid favors, least I can do

18. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

This was the board I had. Rock solid stable when other boards could be a bit flaky. :thumbup:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/ASUS-K7M-Rev...659552?hash=item35fced0960:g:z-0AAOSwv9hW5dlR

Out of interest I had a little lookup to see what core could be possibly hiding in that 500 chip and it looks like it might be the 650 core. The first part of the serial is the key, 21 (place of manufacture) 99 (year) 43 (week). These correspond exactly with owners finding 650 cores inside so it looks like a nice little chip there. :thumbup: Wow that takes me back to what was probably my peak in my interest in overclocking. Went downhill from there to today where I don't even bother anymore.

Don't forget I've got some gear for you taking up room. :D I still have that SCSI rackmount server which is too big to post.

19. shane41

shane41 Member

Alrighty then :D I do know I have x1 of those stashed :Pirate:
    Might have to shop for another anyways.......time for some ebay hunting

20. shirl

shirl Member

ive started going through my stuff,i have a lot of double in mobo,s socket A,939 and earlier will be testing and gonna start selling stuff,alot is the hi-end stuff will let ppl know here 1st..