What retro activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. shane41

shane41 Member

2. shirl

shirl Member

ta for link

3. shane41

shane41 Member

Tin 60% Lead 40% standard solder right ? Such a pain in the butt.
    Couple of nights doing caps 11x only :o battled on with no glasses. But get this .......that Soltek Nforce2 board posts even after my crappy efforts.

Damn happy. Not seen a board same as this run for 12 years. Happy days :D
    Pic when I find that AWOL camera lead, hiding with the bloody glasses I bet.

Edit "Insert evil Shane laugh " I've done it again. :leet:
    Thought dead French pale yellow pcb Soltek Nforce2. x10 cap cracker!!

Fat lady ain't singing on these old boards guys. Get cracking :thumbup:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  4. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Something different...

Gaming at 1600 x 1200 represents the ultimate in retro graphical fidelity. It is a resolution that requires hardware that most of us couldn't afford back in the day.

In this video I am showing you why I like this resolution so much, discuss monitor options, challenges and we learn why this resolution is perfect for DOSBox.

Note: When choosing a 1920 x 1200 monitor, make sure it supports 1:1 pixel mapping, aspect ratio control or 4:3 mode. Under XP and with newer graphics cards you can use GPU scaling, but if you're using an older system like a Voodoo 5, the monitor needs to support the 4:3 aspect ratio. The monitor shown in the video, the Samsung S24C450 supports this.

Enjoy this video!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  5. shane41

shane41 Member

Wow time warp:D Remember those games. Big Crt's all here guys.
    Mine I say :p

6. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Sat down and made an oder for a cap replacement for a GA-7N400 Pro motherboard. Quite tedious. I am going with standards capacitors for most of them, but around the CPU sockets, the larger ones, I will replaced them with polymer capacitors.

Many caps on this board are already rounded at the top, some are open and stuff is showing out.

Expensive job though, the caps cost more than the board, I did however order more than I needed for future projects. Especially the polymer capacitors cost quite a bit more.

7. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

I think I had some problems with VGA games on my IPS dell U2412M monitor using the VGA input, without extensive testing the way around it would be to use the DVI input which should be fine for any Pentium class system in obtaining a suitable graphics card as my Pentium PRO from 1996 runs cards like FX5200/6200 & ATI 9100 without any issues.

Otherwise as Phil Suggested the TN panels might handle the VGA input fine for the older systems with VGA only.

8. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Yes, DVI works well, BUT, at least on my LCD, the graphics card (Nvidia) will send a 1920 x 1200 signal, so it will be stretched widescreen. Nvidia also scales quite blurry.

Other cards behave differently, like Matrox or ATI.

Some games, use the screen refresh rate for timing. Lotus III for example slows down when played via DVI.

The actual VGA input works great, but auto adjust is average, works well on certain games that I use to calibrate. But it doesn't give you the perfect DOS image like under DOSBox. A bit of a shame, but scaling 320 x 200 games will always be a challenge for LCD monitors.

9. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Yep, love the old 1600x1200, always keep a dell 2007fp around.

10. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

20" 1600x1200 LCD make great retro monitors (unless you want a CRT obviously). Cheap too.

HP LP2065 is another one.

11. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Yea there is one selling HP 20" on eBay, but he's just a recycler, doesn't individually test the screens, so the description doesn't tell you what you're actually getting.

12. shaneb74

shaneb74 Member

So kafoopsy was awesome and dropped the case off Friday arvo, spent some time on the weekend transferring gear from the case I don't like to this nice mini tower

Mobo all in and happy
    [​IMG]

Drives next, was going to use the 3.5" floppy that was already in but it was dead and replaced later
    [​IMG]

Sound, video, usb, nic and Voodoo 2 are next.
    [​IMG]

All wired up ready to test.
    [​IMG]

Powered up first time, of course all components already known to work, case cleaned up nicely for just a quick whipe over. Again thanks Kafoopsy :)
    [​IMG]

Not sure what I'm going to set the display to, obviously can't set it to 200 :)

This is the case I'm replacing, nothing wrong with it, I just don't like it. Will probably put it up in the give aways as well :)
    [​IMG]

Cheers,
    Shane.

13. badmofo

badmofo Member

Cool system!

You can do the old 'HI / LO' thing, but that case did come with a 3 digit display too, so you could do '199' I guess :weirdo:

[​IMG]

14. shaneb74

shaneb74 Member

I must admit I didn't even look closely to see if it had 3 digits. Might just change it to HI, at least it's being friendly ;)

It's a nice looking case, I am liking it so much more than that desktop case. if only I had a socket 7 mobo that didn't have the cpu socket in front of the PCI slots, stops me using my other Voodoo 2 for SLI. No idea why so many socket 7's are setup that way.

Cheers,
    Shane.

15. badmofo

badmofo Member

Ha yeah mine's the same, can be limiting. But in saying that, your system there will be CPU limited well before you max out 1 Voodoo2, so an SLI setup wouldn't get you any more frames, just more heat.

16. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

They're pretty reliable beasts, so the only issue will be physical damage to the screen - which should be fairly obvious, even to a recycler.

17. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lot-bulk...165920?hash=item3ac1102ce0:g:Z4sAAOSwFqJWhowS

One of these might fit your case and give you the magic number 199 :D Some of these panels do have offset screw holes however, so no guarantees.

18. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Question for you retro pc guys. :Pirate:

Did anyone else used to love the ol' power on ps2 feature? do you miss it?

Ah such nostalgia

For anyone unaware:

a lot of old mobos supported a feature where if you had soft shutdown your pc (i.e via windows instead of 4sec power button) you could turn your computer back on simply by sitting at it and double clicking the left mouse button.

19. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Yea scratches, dead pixels. I don't mind buying one screen that is well described, then I know what I'm getting.

But recyclers sell a lot and don't describe them individually. Postage is over $60 to my area, that doesn't help either.

20. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Have I found the ultimate retro hard drive? It certainly is extremely fast and flexible!

It's Seagate's SSHD! Featuring SSD technology, but you don't have to worry about TRIM support and running SSD maintenance software.

With the SeaTools software you can set the capacity to whatever drive you like. Great for making the drive compatible with older computers with BIOS or OS capacity limitations such as 32 or 120 GB.

SmartAlign keeps the performance high, even on misaligned partitions that don't fit the 4K format (Windows XP and older).

The drive is also nice and quiet.

Enjoy this video!