What retro activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. partybear

partybear Member

Pretty unnecessary to put a ssd in a old computer, it would cost more then the rest of the machine lol.

2. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

i got one of those cases too haha. from the first pc we ever bought, back in 1996

3. Grant

Grant Member

It's not so much that, but I get this wrong feeling from the thought that the on-board microcontroller on the SSHD is sometimes faster than the CPU in the system.

It's worse when you think about the ARM Cortex in a Gotek floppy emulator attached to a M68k Amiga.

4. badmofo

badmofo Member

Pretty unnecessary comment as usual. No aspect of retro computing is 'necessary', people do it for fun as far as I can tell.

5. shaneb74

shaneb74 Member

Especially as it was essentially about a more modern reliable HDD that has some really nice size limitation settings that is quite relevant. I'm sure people spending $100+ up on quality SS7 boards would be happy to pay that little bit extra for one of these.

Cheers,
    Shane.

6. Cannula

Cannula Member

Another great video Phil! I can see these drives really shinning on old school XP systems like socket A, 754, 939, dual 370, 478, 479, and 775 which don't have TRIM support but can really harness the speed of one of these drives. Not having to squeeze in a SATA controller with TRIM support which makes setting something cool like SLI or crossfire easier or maxing out the card slots in general.

7. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Could you run the SSHD on a PCI SATA1 controller, using the Seatools size limiting feature?

8. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Absolutely!

BUT, SeaTools will likely not work on that controller. So you will need to configure the size on another machine. This is a one off task, once the capacity is set, you're good to go.

What will happen is that setting the capacity operation will simply fail. Intel chipsets work best for this, and the SATA controller needs to be in IDE mode also, otherwise SeaTools won't see the drive at all.

Yup. With a Pentium III 1 GHz or so you can really feel the difference between the SSHD and a period correct drive. On a fast Athlon 64 much more so.

9. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

If you've got a PCI-E slot (and hey, seeing as we're talking about 64bit computing and SSD drives in the "retro" thread, why the hell not), folks like Addonics have a number of cards that will let you build your own SSHD type devices:

http://www.addonics.com/category/sata_controllers.php

In particular, ones like these:

Hybrid SATA:
    http://www.addonics.com/products/ad2sahssd.php

Hybrid M2:
    http://www.addonics.com/products/ad4sahm2.php

Slightly more configurable than an all-in-one SSHD drive, although it adds complexity to your setup (and again, requires the PCI-E slot, which you might not have if you're on hardware that's actually retro).

[edit]

Although, if you've only got IDE, check this out:

http://www.addonics.com/products/adms25ide.php

M2 SSD straight into an IDE port. Zoiks!

10. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Argh my eyes. Stop it! [emoji31]

11. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Started work for another video project. A 3 in 1 DOS retro gaming PC. It's based around a stock standard Intel Pentium and with Cache disabling tricks you can slow it down to a 386 and 486.

I'll focus on showing a bit more of the DOS installation steps, but also BIOS settings, getting CD-ROM, mouse and Sound Blaster drivers going. GOTEK floppy drive FTW, you can setup the entire machine with just that little gadget :)

12. atmo

atmo Member

Should be an interesting one Phil. :)

The pentiums seem to be the go for fine tuning when emulating older machines. On my VX based PC I was able to have plenty of steps from 75 to 166mhz with L1 or L2 disabled to really dial in a particular performance level.

That said, it's more hassle having to change jumpers or dip switches rather than being able to do it on the fly like you can with a K6 2/3+.

13. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

True. Especially at the high end the K6 is better. For games such as Wing Commander III or System Shock in 640 x 480.

Will see how the Pentium fares.

EDIT: The project is rather "simple" compared to the 4 in 1 because I really want to focus on showing MS-DOS installation and every step along the way. I think a lot of people could find this useful.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  14. pfrcom

pfrcom Member

Finally got my all-SCSI garage system sorted

This originally used an Asus P2-99B motherboard, which stopped working :sick:

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?p=16956921&highlight=p2-99b#post16956921

Then the 2GB Quantum Atlas mounted on the side turned up its toes as well

It's a pain to replace, needing the CD drives slid forward to access its screws, and to access the CD screws needs the centre drive cage removed

Anyway, here's the final outcome, now using a PC Partner 35-c871 i810 based board with a Pentium3-900

There's two drives underneath, as well as the two mounted sideways

The one in the middle is a double-height 4.5GB IBM DFHS

Now using an ATX power supply, with the case's Turbo button acting as power switch :D

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

15. Sektor

Sektor Member

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  16. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

lol is that an obscure 3do or cdi?

17. Sektor

Sektor Member

It's a Goldstar 3DO. I cleaned it up and sold it a while pack. The details and photos of this console are HERE. The update is the funny but almost accurate captionbot identification.

I managed to get the same description for an Apple mouse:

[​IMG]

I get the toilet identification since it's white with circles but unlike the 3DO, there are no visible buttons, so I don't know why it thinks there is a remote.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  18. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

nice, my 3DO is fubar, one of the only consoles i couldnt fix up

┐('~`;)┌

19. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

3DO! Lovely console. I remember reading about it in magazines, but of course nobody I knew had such a console :)

Making progress with the 3 in 1 DOS Retro Gaming PC. It's all put together, created four 2 GB partitions on a 10 GB IDE drive, installed MS-DOS 6.22, installed y MS-DOS starter pack (boot menu with memory options, mouse and CD-ROM driver) and installed the AWE64 drivers :)

No fancy Roland MIDI this time, but I'm maxing out the FM chip with Chorus, Reverb and 3D Stereo Enhancement turned on :thumbup:

Also did a section on BIOS settings.

Now I just got to so some captures for how to use the cache settings + some gaming footage!

For speed sensitive games I will use Wing Commander and Test Drive III. I think Comanche runs best on a 486, but too fast on a Pentium. And Wing Commander III hopefully runs ok on the P133 with caches enabled.

20. partybear

partybear Member

That is awesome, it does kind of look like a toilet with a remote. It's amazing that it got the remote part.