What retro activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. pfrcom

pfrcom Member

Maybe the motherboard you're trying it with, is too new to be compatible ?

If it's new enough to have on-board video disable via firmware, likely too new

2. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

I did not engage in any retro activity today.

Thanks for asking though.

3. badmofo

badmofo Member

I had a mental health day yesterday so spent a bit of time playing MegaRace - what an awful game! A classic example of a "CD-ROM multimedia game"; all multimedia, no game.

Then I broke out my 486DX2 66 and installed Links 386 Pro, which I've never played before. The DX2 handles it well but my mouse (serial 2 button Logitech) wasn't always registering my clicks, which of course had serious implications for the timing of my swing. I took out cards, fiddled with jumpers, tried a different mouse, but in the end it turned out to be the DOS Logitech driver. I tried CTMOUSE instead and bob was my uncle.

Great game that Links386 but too easy. I was able to par a hole using nothing but my driver and putter, and that was on 'pro' difficulty!

4. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

I worked until 3AM monday night on a scheduled outage, so I got to go home early yesterday. I set up my Gravis Ultrasound in my 486 box and watched a few scene demos.

This one wasn't bad: http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=52908

This one has some... interesting song lyrics http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=86

This one was used as a VGA torture test, http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=2048
    I have a VLB ET4000W32/p and it wouldn't play a couple of parts. (UniVBE made one work but not all). It looks like a lot of old Amiga demos (which was the intended effect).

This one rips on the popular Amiga demo 'state of the art' - I got a bit of a laugh out of it :) http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=3850

and of course, the most well known/popular DOS demo of all, http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=63
    and its predecessor http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=1274

5. OP
    OP
    adz

adz Member

Thought I'd play a bit of Pacific Air War Gold only to have my old CH Gamestick break! Opened it up and it looks like the plastic innards have finally worn out, anyone got any recommendations on where to find a decent replacement 15pin joystick?

6. badmofo

badmofo Member

The Ultrasound sounds like a fun card - I've never owned one. A future project me thinks if I can find a cheap one.

Re a descent gameport joystick - they do come up on eBay from time to time and are surprisingly cheap. I picked up a nice CH Flightstick recently for 10 bucks or something like that. I got a nice Thrustmaster HOTAS setup a while back for next to nothing too.

The MS Sidewinder 3D Pro is worth considering too - they look like arse but emulate both Thrustmaster and CH sticks and are very solid.

7. OP
    OP
    adz

adz Member

I concur, I'd love to get my hands on an Ultrasound one day!

On a positive note, having just spoken with the folks, it would seem there is a CH FlightStick sitting there doing nothing, fingers crossed it works.

8. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Yeah looks that way. I tried another PCI card (Matrox Millennium II) and it works fine. Windows 3.11 at 1600x1200 FTW... :)

9. OP
    OP
    adz

adz Member

Found myself a Cyrix Mobile MII-333GP (4 x 66, 2.2v) today, wonder how it would go in my DOS box, may even be able to yield a small overclock just for fun :thumbup:

10. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Nice. I find the non Intel (or even AMD) CPUs the most interesting.

I had a Cyrix 6x86 PR166+ when they were first released. A great CPU for the price - although I did upgrade to a Pentium MMX for better gaming performance at some point, coupled with a Voodoo Banshee. :)

This website is a great read for old CPUs: http://redhill.net.au/c/c-9.html

11. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Bit quiet in here lately!

Played with a Diamond Multimedia Monster 3D Voodoo 1 card today.

Click to view full size!

Got it in unknown condition. Tried it in an early Socket A system I had set up but only got a corrupted display so was a bit worried. Found a thread on Vogons that hinted at an incompatibility between the Socket A VIA KT133A chipset so put it in an earlier Socket 7 system and it works perfectly.

Giving Tomb Raider a bash after many years (there's a 3dfx patch for it).

12. OP
    OP
    adz

adz Member

Can't speak for anyone else but being back at work hasn't left me with much spare time, I recently received a batch of CF-IDE adapters so my socket 7 DOS box is going to get a little upgrade soon!

Nice to see some 3Dfx action in this thread! I might go looking for a socket 370 board so I can get my PIII-S 1.26GHz Tualatin going in my Voodoo II rig.

13. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Set up a Super Socket 7 system around a Gigabyte GA-5AX yesterday. AMD K6-2 500MHz (5 x 100MHz), 128MB PC133, Nvidia TNT2 (crappy M64 version).

I want to install DOS 6.22, having some trouble though. The first HDD I had was a 40GB WD, and I'm having all sorts of issues formatting and partitioning it (and getting it to boot). The last straw was hieroglyphics at the DOS prompt after formatting a 2GB partition.

Went to a 10GB Maxtor drive, and installed Windows 98 first. All went well. Then decided to install DOS 6.22 - deleted the partition first and formatted, but the drive only gets shown as 504MB in DOS (with 100% of the drive used). Any ideas?

Tried a BIOS update, replacing IDE cables, and ran a Memtest. Nothing fixed the 40GB drive (might be dead), and I can't get the 10GB to show over 504MB.

14. pcs

pcs Member

from memory you need to use a drive overlay app for dos 6.22, last time i played around with this stuff was 12+ years ago

15. pfrcom

pfrcom Member

Stating the bleedin' obvious, but ...
    ... incompatibility between GA-5AX and Maxtor

Those ALi chipsets had a few issues, AFAIR

Less frustration involved if you get a BX/ZX chipset board and a Slot1 processor, or a Via powered board for the K6

If you want to make a trip to 3114, could try out your Maxtor on such a combo

16. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

It does seem that way. The 10GB worked fine with Windows 98 though. I might try a PCI ATA card I have and see if it changes anything. I think it has a format option which might be useful on the 40GB drive.

Funnily enough I have an Asus SP97-V based Socket 7 system with an SiS chipset (!) and it takes anything I can throw at it without complaint even with a modified BIOS to allow later CPUs (like the K6-3) and a faster FSB (from 75 to 83). It doesn't have AGP though, which probably helps.

Thanks for the offer. I'll see how desperate I get. :p

17. OP
    OP
    adz

adz Member

+1 on that. I recall the multi GB drives back then shipped with a 1.44" FD with said driver, worked a treat. Another option would be something like a CF-IDE adapter and a 2GB CF card, much like what I am about to do.

18. callan

callan Member

Dug up this old fossil from storage today. (Apologies for the grotty photo)

[​IMG]

I'm not sure if it's a BBC-B or BBC-A, and it's very gunged up.

I'm not much of a Beeb man myself, but I'd like to get it restored. It IS, after all a true 2 Mhz 6502 system, with the fastest BASIC around - and makes the best ELITE machine out there :D

I have a couple of projects ahead of it, but at least in the next couple of weeks I'd still like to clean it up, check it over, and make it safe to power on.

Callan

19. badmofo

badmofo Member

Pretty quiet over this way for one reason or another. I'm in the process of selling a nice little 286 I restored a while back - on one hand I'd like to keep it but on the other I really can't imagine ever needing it, and I do my best to keep my collection lean for fear of turning into a hoarder.

Otherwise I've just been working my way through the original DOOM 3 - it's way more fun than I remember but it's long for a shooter, and the constant darkness and claustrophobic nature of the levels is overdone.

Once DOOM's done I picked up this Yamaha GM device recently and I'm looking forward to hearing how it sounds. I have Yamaha daughterboards so I'll be interested to compare this thing to those and my Roland SC-55:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

I wondered if that 286 desktop on eBay was an OCAUers. :) Much interest?

Only thing I've done over the last few days is buy a Nvidia TNT card for a DOS 6.22 / Windows 3.11 machine. Just about the latest card that has Windows 3.11 drivers and UniVBE support from what I can work out.

I wanted a Voodoo 3, but they're hard to find and quite pricey.