What retro activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. shane41

shane41 Member

Tomorrow FRIDAY

Last chance for me to " look for big parts "
    Cases & Monitors to drop off.......if I find what you need !

2. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Hope you get some nice retro loot :)

Working on my next project. I'm using a uATX socket 7 board, it uses this Cyrix / Geode GXM-200 processor. My only uATX board with ISA slots. I'm not sure if there are many options for uATX board with ISA?

Anyway, I put it in a HTPC case that I had lying around because it was too deep for my media rack. It looks really nice, a modern desktop retro gamer so to speak.

3. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

Am copying WHD load demos to a CF card right now for an A600. Never tried to build an Amiga HDD on Windows under an emulator before. It is going well using Classic Workbench. Am using a basic youtube tutorial. A lot of my old Amiga knowledge was still in my head somwhere, I didn't know I knew it still.

4. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Cool!

WHLoad is free now which is awesome. Got it running on the Mist and it certainly is more convenient, especially for games that use a LOT of floppies.

5. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

AM debating whether to play the Pink Floyd demo of CF. It needs two floppy drives and I am struggling to get an old external drive to play nice with a Gotek...

I am yet to crack open the 600 and put it in, it is working well in emulation though. I plan to save an image of the CF card prior to installation. I am guessing 1meg of ram and no accelerator is going to put a limit on things though. The CF card should be amazingly fast though, probably near as fast as Amiga RAM :Paranoid:

6. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

You won't know yourself with a CF HDD, the addition of a hard drive coupled with WHDload makes the Amiga the machine it was always meant to be.

Figures WHDload is now free, considering I bought it and all...:rolleyes:

7. PsychoticOrc

PsychoticOrc Member

On my way home yesterday I came across a lonely looking computer by the side of the road and decided i'd give it a new home.

It was pretty beaten up and had mud on the case so I didn't hold up much hope but it had dual gpu's so I figured i'd give it a go.

So after taking it apart, it has, athlon x2 4200 2gb ddr2, 7600gt's in SLI.

I'm currently installed windows xp on it and look forward to doing some xp gaming on it :)

8. shane41

shane41 Member

Champion :thumbup:

9. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Nice. What motherboard does it have, seeing it's SLI.

10. PsychoticOrc

PsychoticOrc Member

Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 not to bad a board either. I've replaced the 7600gt's with a 7950 gx2 I had sat around, whilst not strictly retro as really XP isn't retro its still nice for nostalgic reasons to play games like Far Cry and Painkiller on it :)

11. mwd

mwd Member

Fixed the fans on my video card yesterday, works well :)

[​IMG]

PC: Athlon 1.2GHz, 512MB Ram, SB Live, 30GB HDD, Win2000 SP4.

12. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Very nice.

You should post more details/photos on the system!

13. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

For sure.

My retro activity just now was to take the shrink wrap off a box of Computec double density 3.5" floppies, copy the Enigma demo from a .ADF on a Gotek to a brand new floppy on my Amiga 2000 and played it on a 600. FWIW it seems to run just fine under Kickstart 3.1.

In 1991 the Enigma demo blew my mind. Someone appears to have put it up on youtube.

EDIT: LOL, I wrote on the label the wrong way up. Like most disks, the manufacturer's writing on the labels is upside down when you put a disk gate down into a box. The write protect tab markings make it clear which way it is supposed to go on. Talk about a rookie mistake (and a strangely familiar one). It has been a while though. :)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  14. HeXa

HeXa Member

Dragged out a not-so-retro 5870 XF pc from my pile

boot it up, no DVI.... ok... try HDMI..... why am I seeing what appears to be 320x200 res on the POST screen :Paranoid:

try to install windows.... no improvement so far... imagining I am installing Windows 7 on a 286 with a VGA card (though 16/24bit colour depth) :p

hence the post in retro thread

EDIT: turns out my LG ultrawide doesn't play nice with 5870s - the cards work fine DVI-D and HDMI on older much smaller LCDs :o :tired:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  15. shane41

shane41 Member

16. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

17. mwd

mwd Member

K6III+ overclocks really well or you can basically use them almost passively cooled, they use a lot less power than the normal K6-3.

18. Cannula

Cannula Member

Not alot of K6-III+ are capable of stable 600MHz. It's the speed that you strive to get a K6-III+ to run at on air. It's also the fastest AMD before the Athlon and where alot of people started their overclocking adventure on, so nostalgia galore.

19. shane41

shane41 Member

Haha there you are :p Thought you ventured into that parts cave never to return. I've super Rubycon capped a few SS7's now.....so I'm keen to try for that 600mhz magic mark.:weirdo:

20. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

You can get a 400MHz 1.6 volt K6-3+ from eBay for $13 USD posted though, which (I think) was Shane's point?

Almost certain these late low voltage K6 CPUs will hit 600MHz.