What retro activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. shane41

shane41 Member

Sounds good champ :thumbup: Phil's present still here in limbo :upset:

Msi Master spent time in the Dentist chair. Yes son out them fangs come. :weirdo:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. badmofo

badmofo Member

I've been doing a lot of defragging lately, particularly of my PIII, Windows 98 machine. There's just something about watching those little blocks getting shuffled around into "order" that relaxes me - it's better than an open fireplace!

Anyone else find this? Just me?

3. Sektor

Sektor Member

lol yes it was nice seeing defrag moving those blocks but I'm glad I don't need to do it anymore, especially not with SSDs.

You can stream videos of fireplaces and cooling fans on netflix, maybe they should a defrag video.

More good work shane41, one day I will buy a new soldering iron and actually learn how to solder/desolder properly. There are some filter X2 caps on my Apple IIe power supply that I should really replace but it still works without them.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  4. shane41

shane41 Member

mAJORD that inbox again :tired:

5. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Woot, Internet got connected at the new place, life can begin :lol:

I hooked up a modem while house hunting, 8000 sync speed, quite slow but good enough. Now Dodo has connected me and sync speed is 22000! Over the moon. This is almost double the speed as the old place :)

Still unpacking and sorting everything out. But my DOS corner is already up and running!

It's my Pentium 100 time machine with 60 GB MS-DOS 7.1 installation, AWE 64 Gold, MT-32, CM-32L and Sound Canvas.

In my old lab the PC would constantly get buried under stuff, so now I can play some games, but also work on a GOG compatibility project (what DOS games from GOG work on a real PC).

[​IMG]

6. shane41

shane41 Member

Too spacious Phil, need toss some junk on the bench :tongue: hehe

7. dacow

dacow Member

That mouse pad is too new! Time to get your hands on an Everglide or an old chopping board for that authentic taste :)

8. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

I don't want things becoming crammed again.

The mouse pad? LOL Out of all the modern parts you picked the mouse pad :lol:

Yea that's what a time machine is, mix new with old, to have the compatibility and performance of real hardware but also the conveniences of modern stuff like an optical mouse :)

9. shane41

shane41 Member

10. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Making progress with my new home. A dedicated room for my new ComputerLab :)

It can fit 6 computer stations / test systems at once. This will let me work on multiple projects, but also let finished projects sit for a while in case people have follow up questions. In the past I packed everything away and couldn't test anything beyond what I tested.

The Windows 98 benchmarking system got a permanent spot now. Hopefully I can make some progress.

And the good old capture computer, packed with gear from Creative, AVerMedia and Epiphan to capture VGA, DVI, HDMI and audio in all shapes and forms.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. jmannik

jmannik Member

Does this mean you will be testing the ATi cards I sent you soon?

12. shane41

shane41 Member

Should start a rant thread about the busted old shit I've wasted countless hours /days trying to fix :tired::tongue:

13. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Rage 128 Pro is the next card to be reviewed :thumbup:

14. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Did some organising today.

Threw out a few broken items, after pulling some parts off them. One was a VIA miniITX system, would have been useful but had corrosion all over the motherboard. :upset:

Making some room so I can put together a system for the FX5900 Ultra. :D

Also installed 1MB of SIPP memory in my 286 board. Didn't fire it up though.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  15. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I've spent the last week cleaning out the shed and gaming areas. So much old PC gear lying around, it's not funny.

Going to try and take photos of it all tomorrow, and get it added to the retro-give-away thread. Sadly I don't have the time to test it all, so it's going to be a lucky dip for anyone who's interested. But at least I know it'll go to good homes, rather than landfill.

16. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Well, didn't get the old PC gear sorted like I said I would. But the console area is at least to a usable point now (click the image for the bloody huge version).

[​IMG]

Still lots to do:

In general:
    * sort out power. Lots of messy cables lying around.
    * sort out better cartridge and controller storage. That's a nightmare at the moment

480p side:
    * Get PS2 out of it's current location (in an arcade machine), and set it up in the 480p area
    * Put HDD in PS2 and get HDLoader working
    * Fix Gamecube's laser to read burned mini DVDs properly
    * Fix XBox laser which is currently giving random problems

240p side:
    * Swap out the current crappy TV with my now working Metz RGB/SCART TV (German RGB sexiness)
    * Sort through my pile of Sony PVMs and get at least one in this setup somewhere
    * Get RGB out of everything I can, S-Video out of what I can't right now (and investigate mods for later). Lots of console SCART cables in a box that I need to sort.
    * Figure out a display option for the RF-only consoles like the Ataris (mod? Shitty TV?)
    * Get a gscartsw
    * Sort out decent audio (Marantz amp needs a cleanup and to be installed to drive the marantz speakers pictured)
    * Get/make a power supply for the Amiga CD32

1080p side (non-existent)
    * Buy more shelving
    * Make stands for my 2x 1080p monitors
    * Get PS3 and XBox 360 cabled up

And probably a tonne more. But that's a good start.

And once that's done, get back to sorting out the arcade room and kids' PC room. *sigh*... it never ends...

17. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Set up my Super Famicom today. :D

Click to view full size!

Excited about playing Super Mario RPG on real hardware, since reading about it in a 1995 issue of Nintendo magazine.

It's a NTSC-J console with the SuperCIC mod and component video out. Looks surprisingly good playing on my 48" Sony LCD (don't shoot me for not having a CRT... :p).

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  18. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

having a hard time selling some of the japanese consoles of mine. :tired:

19. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Need a bigger audience than OCAU.

Japanese GCN would be an easy enough sell on eBay I would have thought?

20. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Still sorting through boxes from the move, but I've started production on a video about the ATI Rage 128 Pro.

For some reason I never see this card used in retro builds. So I will see if there is a reason for this? Are the ATI drivers to blame? And what about the multimedia features, it turns out this card has quite some nifty features :D