What retro activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Yes it was great that we all got to benefit from S3TC. Though games never looked as nice as those S3 demo levels :lol:

2. jmannik

jmannik Member

Did I end up sending you a Trident Blade 3D card?

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Yeah now we're talking! Proper retro hardware in this thread (2000s PC hardware fanboys, eat this! :p ).

4. Grant

Grant Member

Um just noticed, but is that direct sunlight hitting the grey cases of eg. the Game Boy? Mine has gone quite yellow and I wouldn't want to see that happen to such a nice collection.

Hopefully it's just for the occasional photo and the dungeon is in the dark most of the time :thumbup:

5. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Yes, I got a Trident Blade 3D, thank you!

6. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

yes and yes :lol: the sun is allowed in only for the photo, and usually blocked out because it would face all of the box art and it would yellow a bunch of stuff too :Pirate:

I vaguely remember the fan doing the same thing to me when running directly off psu. I could plug to the mobo or use the small noctua resistor cables to force the speed down when plugged directly off the psu. :)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  7. shane41

shane41 Member

8. Volupheles

Volupheles Member

Found these 2 HDDs. Not sure what to do with them yet.

http://i.imgur.com/nXHnceB.jpg

2x Compaq 18.2GB 7200 RPM Wide Ultra SCSI

I was thinking of including them in a super PII build. I assume I would need some sort of SCSI adapter?

9. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Yeah you'll need a SCSI controller card if your board doesn't have an onboard controller. I've got an Adaptec 29320A-R at home doing nothing if your interested. It's 80 pin just like those drives and I'm pretty sure I've got cables and terminators as well. In case your wondering about the longer slot it's a PCI-X card (used on servers, workstations) but it's backwards compatible with PCI.

10. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Wow, sad day : ( I actually didn't even know they were still producing them :p

"VCRs finally ejected as last company stops producing them"

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/te...any-stops-producing-them-20160721-gqb711.html

12. shane41

shane41 Member

New fast ide drive.......meh wasn't particularly looking to purchase. :lol:

[​IMG]

13. elvis

Just because a product stops being used in the mainstream consumer market, it doesn't mean anything for other markets.

MS-DOS is still used in factories, PLCs and embedded systems, Sony Betacam is still used in movies and TV, and there's still a factory in the US making analogue audio cassettes.

Heck, I see businesses still using WindowsXP on production desktops even today.

OCAU as a community is always pretty forward facing. Most of the folks on these forums forget that a lot of folk out there in the real world don't want to ride the upgrade train every day of their lives, and sometimes it's just too expensive to upgrade everything compared to the cost of keeping legacy things around.

VCR/VHS might have died for home users, but there would certainly have been commercial demand to keep the product alive.

14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

So you just installed this beauty on your Intel 6700K rig with 1080 gpu right? :D

15. elvis

Spent all afternoon reading Retro Gamer Magazine on the back deck. Now watching Ren and Stimpy Season 1 while the kids play Pokemon Red on emulators. Life is good. :)

16. shane41

shane41 Member

Might as well, the rubbish Patriot SSD's are dropping off :tongue:

17. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

This looks really nice for 1998 tech:

18. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

It's been literally AGES since I've played Unreal so can't for the life of me remember if it's normal. But why is the keyboard console at about 41 seconds in the video shown in reverse? :lol: You can clearly see the function keys are back to front along with the rest of the keyboard. :D

19. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

I noticed that also :)

Someone stuffed up?

20. Cannula

Cannula Member

I've been on holidays for two weeks and using my iPhone as a hotspot for my Diablo 3 playing on a little ultrabook so I've been trying not to look at videos on the net (my data cap is low).
    I'm glad to be home and watch these two great videos, this is another card that is a lesser known little gem. Not for outright performance but for DOS compatibility and S3's awesome texture compression.
    It seems to be comparable to the original TnT which is similar to the TnT(2) M64 as it has great DOS compatibility and similar 3D performance too.
    Your videos just get better and better mate and the Unreal playthrough makes me want to start up a game of it now, nostalgia plus.
    Thanks for the shout out too mate.