What retro activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. shane41

shane41 Member

* Complaints department * Poor Nforce Pro running busted ass caps

OMGawd Phil your Overclocking :shock::weirdo: hehe

OK matey give it up. What drivers " exactly " were good & shit?

2. atmo

atmo Member

Ahh, the Emergency Edition. :p

Intel pretty much leveled the game again with these, but it certainly wasn't the halo product that the price reflected. Definitely an interesting one to have in the collection though.

Looking forward to seeing the A64 Venice etc. compare.

3. Cannula

Cannula Member

Have you done any reviews on socket 754 or just 939?

4. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

I'm working my way through the release schedule. At the moment I'm at the end of 2003 :)

5. atmo

atmo Member

These aren't really comparable results, but just for interests sake I just ran through 3dmark01 to compare my AGP 7800GS vs AGP 7950GT 512mb with a P4 3.0, 2x1GB Corsair Platinum (2.5,3,3,8), P4P800-E Deluxe.

7800GS - 18859
    7950GT - 20658

And just for laughs... 7950GT PCI-e with a C2D E6600 - 39057

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  6. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Nice! Though 01 is quite CPU limit. Not sure if you have F.E.A.R. That game needs a powerful GPU.

Shane the driver version for the 7800GS I used is ForceWare 101.09.

7. shane41

shane41 Member

...........and p4 Hyper 3.2 & OC cough > rubbish < It did ?

8. atmo

atmo Member

Yeah, I did some testing a little while back with FEAR Quake 4, 3dmark01, 03 and 06 to see how the systems scaled and find the sweet spot for late XP era games.

AGP systems were an XP3200+/NF7S and P4 3.0/P4P800E
    PCI-E were E6600 & Q6600/Striker and X2 4400+/M2N

AGP 6600GT, 6800, 7950GT
    PCI-e 6600GT, 7950GT, 9800GTX

I don't have the benchmark figures, but from memory the socket A/478 systems didn't scale very well with those later games.

One day I'll redo the tests and post the results.

9. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Yea F.E.A.R. is really best played on a Core 2 Duo with a GeForce 8 or something like that.

Started work on an exciting Super Socket 7 platform!

The title is:

What is the best graphics card for Super Socket 7?

I've put together a 550 MHz K6-III+ SS7 system and starting with 3dfx I will test various cards from slow to fast to find the boundaries. Then do the same thing with Nvidia, ATI and maybe Matrox and some others.

The Voodoo 3 is pretty much the go-to card, but I want to check out the other candidates and find out for myself.

Expect lots of charts and hopefully some interesting findings?

What cards are under powered and what cards are overkill and held back by the processor? And where is the sweet spot?

10. shane41

shane41 Member

Now you have my attention. :wired:

11. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

You'd struggle to get much benefit going faster than a TNT2/Voodoo 3 but I'd be using something like a Geforce 2/3/4 for such a system.

Another consideration is people talking about "buggy" AGP on a SS7, I reckon the sweet spot/compatability might be something like a PCI Geforce FX5200/5500 128bit as I've heard the PCI bus doesn't hold back the performance on a SS7.

I would benchmark Max Payne and see if the CPU can handle it as well as being one of the first games supporting Directx8 it would help in making the decision to run a Geforce 3/4/5 or Radeon 8500/9 series or stick with directx7 era hardware.

12. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

And why? That interests me. I haven't tried the NV cards yet, still testing 3dfx.

Max Payne? Hmm. To me this is really a Windows XP era game. But I will look into TnL benefits, some games let you toggle this on and off.

13. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

After getting inspired from your post, I looked on gumtree for SCART CRTs... came across this guy:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/staf...l&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=reply_message

Took a chance and asked if he had any CRT's with SCART.... turns out he did!

Scored a 68cm TEAC with RGB SCART for a bargain price! Now I just need to get SCART cables for all my stuff... If I get time this week I am going to try and bodge together a SCART adapter for my Amiga.

Of course I already told the missus that I was thinning out my collection so she is not really impressed that I made the 3 hr round trip to Brissy and bought home a hulking big old TV :leet:

The bloke also builds and repairs arcade machines as a business - had a few there that I had a gander at when I visited. Unfortunately they wouldn't fit in my car (plus I'd REALLY be in shit if I bought home one of those).

So if anyone needs CRT or arcade repair, or wants to buy a cabinet - check out the gumtree ad and drop him a line.

14. gambo

gambo Member

I can't wait :D :thumbup:
    I've done a fair bit of experimenting on this topic. I'll love to see what you come up with. There is definately a lot of cards that will be way over powered for this platform.

9800pro and Fx5950ultra are the highest end cards that the AGP slot in this platform will support but of course both are ridiculously high powered. If you want got get your hands on either of these or any other cards you need to test, let me know :thumbup:

15. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Brilliant work scoring the CRT, and cheers for the heads up. I've got a beatiful old Loewe TV that doesn't want to stay on for more than a few seconds, and I've exceeded my technical know how on how to fix it. Will drop him a line.

16. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

I doubt I'll have to test something that powerful to run into the limits of Super Socket 7 :)

I can tell you so far that the AOpen AX59Pro HATES Nvidia cards. Hard lockups and lots of other issues. I then tried a DFI board, that one works great. So I'll be using that instead. So yea, potential compatibility issues with this platform are common place.

17. atmo

atmo Member

I'm using the same board in my Dos machine. No issues with nvidia cards under dos but haven't tried running 9x.

If I get time later this week I'll install 98se and see how it goes with a TNT2 M64, Ultra, Geforce2 MX etc.

My current project has been building up a P3 1Ghz reference system to test some of the cards I've picked up recently. It had me tearing my hair out for a while with occasional stability issues (as in it would run fine for a few days, then go bad) that I thought were ram related but turned out the VIA Apollo 133 chipset doesn't play nicely with IDE>SATA adapters.

18. elvis

It's no secret I'm a huge open source fan. I think as time goes on, we're going to see a real struggle keeping DOS and Windows working on hardware, due to the huge variance in PC hardware out there in the market, as well as the need for drives to keep things working properly. This is very different to other hardware like Mac, Amiga and others where it's head-to-toe one vendor, and hardware variances are low.

With that said, I think the open source community is going to be a huge boost for retro PC enthusiasts. I'm a big fan of FreeDOS (the same DOS used inside DOSBox) which has an incredibly high compatibility rate with DOS software. I consider it largely complete as a final bit of software, and I've even used it in a professional environment (where I needed to keep an old DOS/IPX based bit of warehousing software alive for a big retail company a few years back while they upgraded their main ERP).

The next exciting project, and one that is much bigger than FreeDOS, is ReactOS. It's a scratch-built Windows 2000/XP compatible operating system that uses some of the WINE project for things like Win32 and DirectX support. (ReactOS has nothing to do with Linux/BSD - it's an entirely independent OS project).

Like most new OSes, ReactOS has been around for ages, and has appeared to be moving quite slowly. What people don't realise is that there's a tipping point in OS development where it turns from alpha and useless to suddenly quite interesting. And while ReactOS is still definitely in that alpha/beta stage, it's now doing amazing things.

Here's a thread where Doom 3 has been shown to be up and running in ReactOS!

http://builds.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15470&sid=002cfcd9d2cc5fc7b01ebf229630d6ef

Pretty interesting developments. ReactOS 0.4.2 was released just the other day, and is continuing the 0.4.X series trend of seeing huge leaps and bounds in compatibility between each point release. Really impressive stuff, when you consider the scope of writing a Win2K/XP compatible OS from scratch, and what that entails.

Places like GoG already heavily utilised DOSBox to keep old games alive. I'm hoping GoG, Steam and others are assisting the ReactOS community as a way of keeping some of the older Windows games alive that are out of development/support, and not working so well on more modern builds of Windows.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  19. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

It's great for DOS! But I could try XP on it and see what happens.

20. elvis

Aww yiss, another RGB/SCART pickup. 32" widescreen Panasonic tx-76pw60a this time.

Needed a bit of so wiring to get it up and running, and haven't tested the picture quality yet, but all the menus come up clearly. Will get it back together and in the games room in the next few days.

The thing weighed 55kg, and I was half way through my afternoon jog when I found it. Free exercise for me running back home, getting the car, and lugging the TV down to my workshop. :)