What retro activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Datsun 1600

Datsun 1600 Member

When it comes to power points, my Electrician used a run of wire starting at one side of the door drilling holes through every stud about 500mm above the floor, let the wire droop till it just touched the stud plate between the studs and terminated at a power point on the other side of the door. With the amount of slack in the wiring, power points can be added anywhere in the room after working out the placement of furniture.

2. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

This PSU is quite new (2015?) and has barely any hours on it. Its biggest failing was that it is a ATX12V 1.x design sold in a ATX12V 2.x world (beneficial for my uses).

If it was an old PSU of any brand with thousands of hours on it, I'd be more concerned... :p

Nice! Keep us updated. :D

3. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

My advice is get some insulation in the walls to deaden the sound... so you don't wake anybody up with the late night gaming sessions (or loud swearing when things aren't quite working)

4. badmofo

badmofo Member

Good tips thanks guys keep them coming!

Having power points up at desk level is a great idea, at least for the wall I'm planning on lining with computers. Will give that some thought and will make detailed notes about where the wiring runs to make changing things around easy going forward.

Am also interested in the smart bulb thing but it's going to be a big room with 4-6 ceiling lights, so not sure that I'm ready to invest to that level. Might just have a floor lamp in the corner to experiment with and keep the main lighting old school for now.

Regarding insulation - I need to do some more research but the builder has suggested we need accoustic insulation. I need to understand what that means - my wife / hot secretary is very concerned about the heating / cooling factor, and yes I'd like to be able to swear like a sailor when required.

We're going with double glass doors at one end but with blinds, and no windows, so I shouldn't have too much trouble keeping those plastic yellowing UV rays off my vintage plastics :thumbup:

5. shane41

shane41 Member

So I had this Trusted psu cable tied in good & proper.
    You would all trust it right, good brand & all that?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like them Fuhijju "Nagasaki" capacitors Matthew, Pfrcom does too :D

6. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Those caps are fucking evil. I swear :upset:.

Anyways going through about a thousand pics on my photobucket trying to find some old XFX 8800gtx's I sold years ago..

Dumping some interesting pics here.

Got tons of this, sold em for as low as $5-10 a pair. Spewing now....:upset:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very old test rig from 15 + years ago. Motherboard was a MSI-6383 (from memory) which served as my ideal P3 overclocking board, was ranked within top 3 of few Celeron and Pentium 3 world overclocks on ripping.org before site was pulled down. Mobo was given to psychoticorc last year, monitor, keyboard all that shit thrown away many moons ago.

Actually the pic was taken at the time when I broke a Celeron 700 or 800? record @ 1.2 or 1.3ghz? on air via pin volt mod and mobo hard mods, Ati Rage 128 AGP card, 256mb low latency SDRAM RAM, very basic and old 250watt ATX psu....ahh the memories...

[​IMG]

ATi 9800 Pro 256mb AGP card giving me grief, so I took it personally (even after reflow and recap)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  7. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

LOL I'm sure some of these guys will cringe over that but you tried...

8. shane41

shane41 Member

Matthew Man you just have to give into it. :) You want to run some old machines for LoL's & the nostalgia. I get that & many here are doing.

But to sell parts for next to nothing all them years ago.......fugg me :( Many of these guys have an idea of costing on parts lately.
    eg. $160 for a SS7 just recently. Some of the DDR2 sets I have $50 a pop.
    Said it many times I take a big hit on " many broken parts " then that bloody expensive shipping all the time.

Buying the most beautiful parts in the world Matthew is never cheap.Still those double ups go in here for the guys @ my cost.
    Like those ram sets bought in EU? No go hey :tired:

9. shane41

shane41 Member

Yet to try these...... who can remember them? do you ever see them 4sale?

Example for you Matthew. I can go after 9800pro's too & I have.

[​IMG]

10. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

You can only hold onto old gear for so long. Then you run into issues holding on to them, otherwise you will end up with accumulated crap over and over again. I'am glad I offloaded most my stuff years ago because I will definitely have issues offloading them if I was selling it now.

I would never pay for the prices for some of the older gear that is being sold on ebay simply because I know they are not worth that much regardless if the stuff is no longer being or not and I can most likely get it cheaper the next day.

The stuff I sold off years ago were all on the high side of pricing, compared to what was listed on ebay at the time.

For collectable DDR1 and DDR2 ram, its micron D9 chips or bust, all else I don't bother with.

11. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

That's a 2004-ish PSU though?

At 13 years old, I wouldn't trust it. Even with minimal use, probably 10,000 hours on it.

Looks like the caps would fail the physical inspection.

12. shane41

shane41 Member

It's important Matthew at least some of it. Many of us in here are trying to save these parts & they can keep running if you are prepared for maintenance.
    Super Sevens are a testament to that :thumbup: Bloody great & fire up near 20 years later. Cannot say the same for 2006 onwards. Problems always......
    Around that I'd say matey or newer. Capacitors man always the issue. But a good power supply is still good looked after.
    So I'm fine to try do era correct whenever possible. But yes mission critical " rare bastard parts " I'll put on a modern Seasonic.
    Still good the old Antec's & only a handfull of caps to do in them. 40A 5V that's why they are saved.

13. shane41

shane41 Member

Activity today, too much typing & about to buy more caps :tired: Tackle to top left first....... Someone out there gets it, just how beautiful they are.
    Don't waste anytime Matthew go get what you want or need. Past experience on nice parts......they go very expensive, then vanish

[​IMG]

14. Krumm

Krumm Member

Don't forget ya cat6 and redundant cables if the budget extends to it.

15. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Coax cable FTW. Just don't forget the terminators! :D

#hardcoreretro

Seriously though, actually would be pretty cool to set up an old school network just for kicks. I can't remember if it was 10Base2 or 10Base5, but the last time I saw a Coax network was at my local TAFE in the mid-nineties learning Novell NetWare. I honestly doubt I'd remember how to use it as it's been so long!

16. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

I actually had a DOS network running IPX/SPX over 10Base2 with a few computers back in the early 2000's. Mostly made up of old computers that people were throwing out. I had a few rounds of Doom and Warcraft 2 with some of my mates.

10base2 was thinnet with the T connectors and terminators - 10base5 was thicknet and used an AUI box.

I've never used 10base5 but 10base2 was pretty easy... just connect em in a line, make sure all the computers are running, (or you'll break the bus) and make sure each end has a terminator. Some of the network cards had a utility you needed to run to switch from the RJ45 port to the BNC/coax port.

Getting the drivers running was the most painful part... If you were using windows 95 you just bound TCP/IP or IPX/SPX to the adapter and off you went... DOS was a different story, you had to load the card driver, LSL.COM and the IPX protocol driver.... chewed up heaps of memory.
    TCP/IP was even worse.

Amazing the things you remember after all those years :tongue:

17. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

10base2, that was it. :thumbup: I remember learning about it in TAFE and in doing so looked at how they had it set up with all the T connectors and learning about the various configurations like Token Ring which like the name implies everything connected in a ring formation. Unfortunately (maybe forntunately lol) I never really got any hands on experience setting it up myself outside of TAFE as I basically jumped to using CAT cables later on.

Oh yeah, DOS! A few months back I continued my battle with getting networking on my XT. If it's not bad enough finding a suitable card that can run in an 8 bit ISA slot then finding room to "fit" it amongst other cards taking up very limited IRQ, DMA, I/O ports, it's the 640K that will do you in lol. Finally got it all working. :thumbup:

I played around with TCP/IP as well just for the lol's. I think it took a 200K+ chunk out of my RAM but hey I could ping Google from my XT. :thumbup::lol:

18. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

I think the only logical conclusion is for badmofo to run coaxial as well as CAT6. :D

19. shane41

shane41 Member

Haha old dudes :p I had Pioneer Coaxial speakers in my Mazda in the 90's too

20. badmofo

badmofo Member

Sounds expensive but you guys know best :p