What retro activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

is it worth trying to restore this? my mate gave me a gateway P4 with RDRAM, they lived almost right on the beach though so all the steel bits are rusty and there is a build up of what i assume is salt. the gfx card looks wrecked visually and when i try to turn it on it beeps a few times and nothing happens. neither the CPU nor psu fans will twitch

2. shane41

shane41 Member

3. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Nope, its good to go to the landfill.

4. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

LoL funny I was thinking of your anti-P4 stance today, as I was testing a Shuttle 478 machine. But also some 939 gear so it was all good :thumbup:
    I'd agree that a heavily corroded P4 system isn't worth too much effort restoring.

5. shane41

shane41 Member

Look I'm really widely misunderstood.

By all means spend endless hours /days repairing a salt damaged P$ motherboard.
    Then toss it in the bin :leet:

6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

SIx months later, finally getting around to fixing this amp.

Bought $20 worth of transistors, expecting them to be the cause. Nope. A 20c pot was corroded right through. Luckily I had one in the spare components drawer, and it looks like the idling voltage is finally in spec.

Also, fuck everyone who wants me to pay for the service manual for these things. Goddamn that makes me angry. So many idiots out to make a quick buck on the Internet.

[​IMG]

adz and JidaiGeki like this.
  7. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

i was mostly interested in it because of the RDRAM but yeeeh off to the e-waste it will go, i can use the opportunity to store all of the other e-waste in it. it's a bit of a shame, i could really have used more cases as well but not even that is worth tidying up

8. shane41

shane41 Member

Cases are easy to fix with surface rust. Around the fan holes right? Rub it back to shiny metal & cover all gal.

9. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

na the rust is a bit more widespread, i don't even know if the case is ATX form factor, the mobo and PSU aren't in terms of connectors

10. Krumm

Krumm Member

Nice setup BuuBox but it wasn't the nice hardware catching my eye it was those soundblaster speakers that I had forgotten I ever had a set of, the perfect addition to a retro build.

11. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

Strange. What model is the amp?

12. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

They look the part! Creative SBS38 speakers, I think from around 1995.

I need to find a better PSU for mine - they're really noisy with a switch mode plug pack.

13. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

The 286 is together. :)

Disassembled every part of the flip top case I bought to tidy it up. Still is stained (nicotine?) but is at least clean. Probably looks better in the photos.

The PSU is a little awkward as it L shape. I was going to put the guts of a later AT PSU in it, but it seemed to be a decent unit - Rubycon caps, Japanese made fan and and nice soldering. The 12V output seems a little low is the only thing.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Specs:
    • SUNTAC-286P motherboard
    • 2MB RAM
    • AMD N80L286-12/S CPU
    • AMD P80C287-10 FPU
    • Tseng Labs ET4000 1MB
    • Creative Labs Sound Blaster 2.0 (CT1350B)
    • IBM 6323028 serial/parallel card (from a 5170)
    • 128MB CF card in a rear mount adapter
    • 5.25" floppy, 3.5" floppy
    To do:
    • Find a white 3.5" floppy drive to replace the black one
    • Find something to fill the 5.25" drive bay (preferably not a CD-ROM)
    • Attach feet
    • Get a better external CMOS battery
    • Fix sound in Windows 3.1
    Really fun PC. Assembly was fairly easy, with only minor issues (jumper settings on the serial card required to get the mouse working, and changing ISA slots to get the sound card working).

matz, cdtoaster, Flamin Joe and 3 others like this.
  14. badmofo

badmofo Member

Brilliant machine - I have a soft spot for flip top cases, particularly with a side power switch.

That's a whole lotta RAM for a 286, nice work. My machine has SIPP 'holes' - are we calling them that? - but I've never taken the plunge. The 1MB onboard seems to be enough for what I do. Something else I've though of but never gotten around to is installing Windows. Mine had the original install of Windows 3.0 when I got it but I deleted it, which I regret now.

Anyway nice work, have fun with it.

15. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Thanks! Was fun setting it up. It's also much faster than I expected, at least after using the turbo switch. The BIOS date of 1992 was a bit of a surprise.

It's great having a working 5.25" drive as I have a heap of disks to go through (mostly random shareware). Sadly I had them stored badly in a shed for years, but most of them still read. I'll get rid of Windows 3.1 and put on 3.0 - it's nice having a GUI for file manager use if nothing else.

I bought the RAM ages ago from a Canadian eBay seller. There used to be eBay listings for NOS 256KB sticks for peanuts, but I went with secondhand ones.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    adz likes this.
  16. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Marantz PM-35, 40, 50?

From memory based off my service of a PM-32 (should be similar circuit and innards), the emitter resistors (white ceramic with 2 built in resistors, around 0.22ohms, 5watts) go south if you start adjusting the bias, this will then cause the cascode current transistors to go south, then you end up excessive DC on the 24v relay preventing output. Decent amps though, relatively good sounding.

17. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Marantz 74PM42.

Service manual says to test by measuring the mV across those two ceramic resistors, with strict time instructions below. I'm pretty much bang on that. Even the most tiny adjustment swings the voltage +/- 3mV with ease, but I managed to get one side to around 14.1mV and the other 14.4mV after a hour of fiddling (then cool down, then warm up and test again over 4+ minutes per channel).

A listening test that night over a couple of hours of Megadrive gaming definitely had them sounding better (and more even) than I've ever heard them before (previously running of a dodgy Yamaha amp that also needs fixing). I was convinced one of the speakers was the suspect for a while, but this has restored my faith in the speakers, and tells me I need to fix the Yamaha amp too.

[​IMG]

18. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Yep be careful with how much you adjust them, the trimpot takes a tiny little turn and you'll get changes indicated on your DMM, they are awfully sensitive. Given the age of these amplifiers, the two repairs I did years ago blew parts indicated in my previous post.

19. bYrd

bYrd Member

We had these at high school, without a monitor on top ... needless to say, a game certain students enjoyed was flipping the lid when the teacher wasn't looking and yanking as many cables out as you could ... they were mainly 386 DX40 machines.

Nice build BuuBox!

JB

20. Kafoopsy

Kafoopsy Member

Look good! I remember Jill of the Jungle, played it many long years ago. Those flip top cases are so good for quick access to the computer. Makes disassembly so much quicker and easier!