What retro activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. matz

matz Member

I've been up to my eyeballs in IBM 51xx machines and associated peripherals for the past few days, cleaning, repairing and sorting parts to see what I can permanently resurrect. Lots of shorted tantalum capacitors, smoked mains filter caps, faulty RAM, seized drives, vsync/hold/vsize issues, the list goes on. One step forward, two steps back with these machines, taking a lot longer than I'd anticipated. So far I've managed to clean up and restore 2 x 5151's, 3 x Model F XT's, 1 x Model F AT, 3 x Tandon TM 100-2A, 1 x Type 13 20MB MFM, 2 x 5160 motherboards. Still have another 5151 with issues, a 5154 that has failed previous repair attempts, 2 x 5150 motherboards with what appears to be faulty RAM, 3 x Tandon TM 100-2A's that have shorts somewhere on the controller boards, an AST MegaPlus II with a short, another sick MFM drive and a 5153 I haven't gotten to yet!

JidaiGeki, Flamin Joe and adz like this.
  2. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

What sort of issues are you having with the 5151? I just happen to have a spare fly back to suit from a handful I brought about year or so ago, it's new old stock.

Those Tandon's you'll probably find will be a short in one of the tantalum caps. As it just happens I also had 3 with the same issue (2 from the 5150 and 1 from the 5160) and that's what it turned out to be. I didn't bother finding which one I just decided to just do a full replacement for the hell of it due to all the other issues I found.

Went through a similar period as you, replaced the PSU filter caps in both PSU's after they did a magic show with a big puff of smoke, replaced a couple of tantalums on both the 5150 and 5160 motherboard so they would boot, replaced faulty ram in the 5150, replaced the line filter in the 5153 PSU after it started slowly smoking after about 10 minutes of use, replaced the flyback and a few other components which looked a bit suss in the 5151. That's just some of things I remember off the top of my head.

I don't envy taking on so much as I know how much work they can be just to get up and running but it is well worth it. :thumbup:

3. matz

matz Member

See below, had to open it up to clean the case and adjust v sync, was working fine for a while then went tits up after the case was put back on. Text is extremely compressed toward the center and expanded toward the top. The other 5151's are fine, just this one playing hard to get. Anyway in the too hard basket for now, just moving through easier fixes for now and will come back to this later.

[​IMG]

Have pretty much got 2 of the 5160's fully operational now, the 5150's will be a longer journey as they are riddled with issues. Having said that I've had a 5150, 5160 and 5170 in working order for a while now, the machines I'm working on now have been on the backburner waiting for attention for some time now. Once these are done I'm planning on getting the 5175 operational and running on my 5170, the 5154 repaired and running on the 5160 and probably both a 5151 and 5153 in dual mode on the 5150. That should cover almost every base!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  4. bYrd

bYrd Member

Found a Dual G4 1333Mhz CPU from an Apple Xserve - popped off some resistors to get it to 1.5Ghz, for use in an MDD tower. Should be right to get to that speed - seems 1.5+ is hard going without extra cooling.

Next job, flashing a Radeon 9800 Pro to a Mac BIOS, then need to either tape the pins or remove some resistors to get it to function in the AGP slot of my MDD tower. Spent yesterday trying to resurrent a Radeon 9800XT which was flashed to Mac, flashed back to PC with no POST/life in any PC tested. Card remained cold to the touch after running for an hour; tried to reflow GPU and decided it was very dead, sadly.

JB

Vanne likes this.
  5. matz

matz Member

One down, 3 more to go!

[​IMG]

adz, mAJORD, Flamin Joe and 4 others like this.
  6. matz

matz Member

Today was a day of disks, MFM hard disk drives to be exact...

A Priam 519 from one of the 5160's wasn't sounding good, I put it and it's controller in know good machine and the spin up vibrations almost shook the machine off the table.... after multiple low-level formats it did settle down and FDISK could eventually partition it, however, the bad track listing gets worse every time I run it, I think it's probably time for it to retire.... For context the Priam came out of the 5160 I rescued from ACMS, it was in very poor condition to begin with.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Anyway I did have a couple of old Seagate ST-225's lying around and thought I'd see if I could get those operational again. Wasn't looking good initially, lots of read errors or flat-out failure to recognise the drives, nonetheless after some cleaning, lubrication and a few low-level formats, they are working perfectly again with zero defects!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Very surprised given these came mixed up in a box of other misc crap from a deceased estate haul I got in Canberra last year. Pretty happy with the result as I now have a couple of spares in seemingly perfect condition for when the existing drives in these machines ultimately fail.

So back to the ACMS 5160, I'm planning to take the drive out of my personal 5150 (it's also a ST-225 and has the IBM faceplate) and put that in their 5160, once that's done it will be pretty much done. I've decided to convert my 5150 back to twin floppies with an XT-IDE solution and try out these ST1 drives that just arrived today.

[​IMG]

EDIT: And the 5160's are all done. The one on the left with the 5151 is the ACMS machine, not a bad outcome considering how it looked (pics below) and failed to function at all when I got it, just need to find a new IBM PC XT Badge for the case and some more cork feet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now it's onto the 5150's or maybe the 5170...

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    adz, Flamin Joe, elvis and 2 others like this.
  7. badmofo

badmofo Member

Impressive stamina matz, the cleaning alone must be exhausting.

8. matz

matz Member

Cleaning isn't too bad, at least it's consistent and predictable which I can't say for vintage electronics. Anyway I've gotten a bit carried away over the past year or so and acquired way too much gear, time to decide what I'm keeping, fix it up, and move the rest on for others to enjoy. This stuff is just the tip of the iceberg.

9. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

Neat work as always mate! I might have a spare XT case front with badge. Will have a dig around for it.

10. bYrd

bYrd Member

I reckon it's the cleaning that's the most enjoyable part! Removing all those years of scuffs, grime and mystery stains to bring out a clean unit is really rewarding.

As matz notes, it's then cracking open the hood and testing the components that leads to disappointment and high levels of frustration. Increasingly so, sadly, and this is meant to be a relaxing hobby :) Pretty much every machine I've touched lately has had serious hardware issues, usually mid-90s - early 00 machines.

elvis and matz like this.
  11. matz

matz Member

Did you use any particular method to test the ram? Both the 5150's I'm looking to restore, and now my own 5150 have developed memory issues. Looks like I'll be pulling and swapping out a lot of 4116 chips today.

Thanks, no rush, this machine will be shelved now pending ACMS getting their storage issues sorted out.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  12. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

I've been looking for a laptop with a ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 or 9800 for years. They all appear to have all gone to heaven sadly.

Ended up getting an Asus laptop locally with a Radeon HD3650 which seemed like an acceptable substitute. Surprisingly capable for something 11 years old, with a Bluray drive, 1680x1050 resolution, T9300 CPU, 4GB DDR2, HDMI output, and 512MB of Intel Turbo Memory (a fairly hilarious Vista relic).

Took a bit of trawling through old forum posts to find XP drivers as it was very Vista orientated. Planning to use it to play some XP era games. :D

Installed Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force to test it out, and it plays well (as you'd expect). Also installed Quake 4, but getting a frustrating 'texture compression unavailable' error. Presumably graphics driver related, but finding ATI Mobility drivers is a lesson in frustration!

It's nice seeing the transformation, although cleaning years of filth ins't my favourite part of this hoby. :lol: Would be better with a dedicated workshop space.

13. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

It was a while ago but I think I knew which bank it was and just simply replaced the entire lot in one go. Then once I confirmed it was all good I tested the chips I had one at a time to weed out the faulty one so I could bin it.

Probably could of saved myself some time by using the Supersoft/Landmark Diagnostic ROM to pin point which chip but it worked for me.

14. matz

matz Member

After much #@$*%&^ around with memory issues and the XT-IDE, I've finally managed to get my 5150 fully operational again. All 5 expansion slots are now fully populated with:
    • IBM Color Graphics Adapter
    • Hercules Graphics Card
    • AST Six Pack Plus (Multi IO + 384K RAM)
    • XT-IDE Card @ Seagate ST1 MiniDrive
    • IBM Floppy Controller

[​IMG]

This setup now works dual screen between the 5151 and 5153 as shown below... Awesome!!!

[​IMG]

JidaiGeki, BuuBox, adz and 1 other person like this.
  15. matz

matz Member

Yeah I saw that, have just ordered a couple of the adapters required to substitute the ROM. Will let you know if it works.

Flamin Joe likes this.
  16. matz

matz Member

Getting 5150 fatigue, the amount of effort required is escalating, the below perhaps best demonstrating the road ahead. Cleaned up as best as possible, this is another ACMS machine, has spent some time bathing in the past from the look of it... From memory, it was sitting underneath a hole in the warehouse roof.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Every single component in this machine unsurprisingly does not work. Not sure if I could be bothered to be honest, however, I've been thinking about getting some of my other IBM cases resprayed, I believe the original color was Pantone 413. Nothing to lose by trying it out on this case I guess.

Has anyone resprayed one of these before, I'm guessing I'll need to go see an Auto paint and panel shop to match the paint and do the job?

17. bYrd

bYrd Member

Surely they wouldn't want that back ... time for a sleeper i9/Threadripper desktop build? :D

Check Rustoleum beige colours for a match if going DIY - I've found a good match for beige, and it's easy to apply (once you rust kill/prime what you have there).

18. matz

matz Member

Thanks for the tip, will check out Rustoleum and do some spot testing. Ideally, I'd like it to be an exact match so will probably end up going to a paint shop of some description eventually. If it works on this I'll get all my cases done.

In the meantime, I have other items to attend to, did somebody say 486 tower? Looking forward to this...

[​IMG]

adz, JidaiGeki and FIREWIRE1394 like this.
  19. badmofo

badmofo Member

Wow 486 city! Some classic cases there. Machines of that era make me think battery acid - fingers crossed.

I'm interested to see what you find in those hardware wise, and exploring HDDs form that era is fun too.

20. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

If you want an exact match you will need to go to a paint shop to get Pantone 413U as you won't find it off the shelf. But if you're really wanting to try and keep it original, getting the colour won't be the hardest part it's recreating the texture. As you would know it's not a flat smooth texture but a sort of "bubbly" surface. Not sure how you would go recreating that on the entire case.

I will be eventually spraying the 5170 chassis I brought off you as there is that small bit on the side where the paint has been scrapped off. But what I'll be doing is just a touch up but I will attempt to recreate the texture probably by using a small sponge after spraying. I figured seeing it's just a small section I might as well give it a go.