What retro activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. badmofo

badmofo Member

Painting cases is super tricky, I've tried it a couple of times. When I was a lad I used to help my father in his woodworking business and I'd occasionally cock up the lacquering (using a gun) and I'd get that orange peel texture - it was by spraying too close and too slowly, which obviously resulted in too much being applied. It would be dang hard to reproduce consistently by hand though and you only get one shot at it. Too much and it runs - now I remember why I gave up painting cases :lol:

2. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

Wow I remember that one. Is it rusted through? Was going to suggest hitting it up with a wire wheel first but it might go through.

Found the XT front panel on a shelf so no digging required :)

DSC_0352.JPG
    Also picked up a complete Sony E200 off the side of the road. Lucky find as it is a match for the other one with a snipped video cable. Now I have all the parts for one fully working 17" flatscreen.

DSC_0344.JPG

elvis likes this.
  3. matz

matz Member

Indeed, I was expecting a strong game from Varta, however, I was pleasantly surprised with the result, only two motherboards had leaks and only one of consequence.

Yep hence why I'll probably just play around with the color match then get a paint shop to do it. Really only worth it for an IBM IMO.

No the case is still in reasonably good shape, paint it totally !@$#% though. Takes more than a decade or two sitting in the rain to take out one of these tanks!

4. matz

matz Member

Well I was thinking I'd maybe get a few working machines from this lot, however, it turns out every single one is posting! Ended up with a 2 x 486 DX33, 386 DX40, 2 x 486 DX50, 486 DX2-66, and a P90. Looks like I'm going to have some surplus 486's on hand.

Photos below, the only mobo with serious leakage was the first one but it cleaned up ok and appears to be working just fine.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  5. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

wow man, you really hit the motherlode there.
    If you decide to get rid of any of these, dibs on the case on the top right.

6. badmofo

badmofo Member

Lolz are we doing dibs? I like the look of that midi tower bottom left, next to the black beast.

Some nice looking motherboards in that lot and is that an S3 VLB VGA? Very nice score.

7. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

I don’t know what matz’ plans are but I’d kick myself if I missed out because I failed to properly register my dibs.

I’m pretty jealous tbh, I’d lock myself in my room for a month with a haul like that.

mAJORD likes this.
  8. matz

matz Member

Yes, can't figure out what the card model is, just has VL-BUS VGA P/N:2155 printed on the front and Iwill IW-93108639 on the rear. In any case it's a 2MB S3 P86C805. The other VLB is a 1MB CLVGA542XVL .

I got all these out as a friend wants a 486, and I've been meaning to complete my 486 build for ages now, but unfortunately, I seem to spend more time acquiring than building. Anyway, that's about to change, once I'm done with a few the rest will be offloaded. I must have over a dozen 486's lying around now, 12 VLB VGA cards alone!

9. matz

matz Member

Case cleaning time, some of these buggers were absolutely filthy, neighbors must think I'm mad...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

nimmers, Vanne, adz and 2 others like this.
  10. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

if I saw that on my neighbours drive way i'd actually be compelled to talk to them.

power, adz and FIREWIRE1394 like this.
  11. badmofo

badmofo Member

Trying to hide them behind the Harley was a good idea :thumbup:

They look to be in great condition apart from the yellowing - where did you get them from if you don't mind me asking? All the one place or over time?

12. matz

matz Member

Me too!

Yes a Harley guarding Retro Pc's certainly sends a mixed message and keeps them confused. The collection has built up over time, Ebay was the 1st I think, Gumtree the 2nd, and a bad habit developed from there. I've got a Pentium Pro tower lying around somewhere which I thought maybe in this bunch but must be in storage.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  13. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

I really like the AT full towers.
    I have owned a few over the years, always wanted to mod them so I could build a modern system into one (kind of like a nerdy penis substitute - I can't afford a BMW) but they weigh a ton due to the solid steel and are difficult to work with. Me and a mate got as far as cutting a side window in one when we were 18 but decided it was too difficult after that so it ended up going to the tip.

14. matz

matz Member

Memory testing.....

[​IMG]

15. matz

matz Member

Yeah I'm thinking I'll keep one of the AT full towers for a 486 build, with a few optical drives and ideally 4 floppy drives (1.2, 360K, 1.44 & Gotek) so all my media needs are covered, but I'm guessing I'll need a couple of floppy controllers for that to work, not sure if it's even possible?

Currently doing an inventory on all relevant parts and testing.

16. OP
    OP
    adz

adz Member

You'll need a board with a BIOS that supports 4 floppy drives and two controller cards that allow you set one as primary and the other as secondary.

17. matz

matz Member

Thanks for that, I don't imagine either the boards or controller cards that support this would be very common then?

18. bYrd

bYrd Member

Now that’s something I’ve never seen before - what does it “test”, can it identify any module, can you adapt it for various RAM pinouts?

I’ve a bag stuffed with 32/72pin RAM, best I can do is to find an easy Mac or PC to stuff it in for detection.

19. OP
    OP
    adz

adz Member

Controllers are more common than boards.

Edit...LOL...Just found this video:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    matz likes this.
  20. matz

matz Member

Does a number of things, the basic test determines the module size, type, mode, speed, cycle time and looks for basic addressing and other problems, generally takes less than a minute depending on the module size. The extensive test takes a couple of minutes and does voltage cycling/bouncing/spiking, further mode testing, cell refresh & leakage and temperature stressing, all these are designed to detect intermittent problems that are voltage and temperature dependent or resulting from adjacent cell interference. Then there is a loop which just cycles through different patterns and algorithms for a continuous burn-in. There are various adaptors available, my base unit does 72 pin SIMM and I have adaptors for 168 & 144 Pin DIMM. I've got a 30 pin SIMM & SIPP unit on the way as well as adaptors to test single chip DRAM. To test more modern memory you need the more modern RAMcheck units, but these cost a bomb.

They come up on ebay from time to time, and there are a few now selling in the US, not that common as I imagine they are targeted at system integrators. I just got sick of having random memory problems and not knowing if all the spare memory I had was any good or not. The particular unit I have is powered by a 486, how appropriate!

Thanks will watch that now!