What retro activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Vanne

Vanne Member

pretty sure the quake 1 engine was supported by 3dfx, so I don't think much would need to be done to rebuild a wrapper for this.

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Other way around - 3DFX's Glide API was supported by the Quake 1 engine.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 9:21 AM
    Vanne likes this.
  3. badmofo

badmofo Member

Yep and it's not the quake engine, it's Darkplaces, which has long since left the original behind from what I understand.

4. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

5. flain

flain Member

Original Quake 1 was OpenGL. There was a Glide port that got caught in legal issues (never released to public) as it wasn't ported by id software, they were claiming that it had double FPS as GLQuake. I remember following the blog of the guy who was working on it :)

edit: actually i think the legal issues were more around not paying some kind of license to 3dfx. Basically 3dfx was the first company that wanted to charge game devs to use it's glide API. So instead there were more OpenGL and Direct3D games instead of native glide support. OpenGL games obviously were still accelerated by the hardware but not to the same efficiency as using Glide directly.

Further interesting piece of history here, interview with Carmack on 3dfx and Quake1:
    https://www.bluesnews.com/archives/johnc101696.html

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 11:05 AM
  6. Vanne

Vanne Member

cheers, thanks for setting me straight, knew it was something along those lines. Only because BeOS R5 had the only 3dfx accelerated quake 2. (beta), but fully working. It was beauty to behold versus the normal version.

7. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I'm going to put on my Rendition fan hat here, but VQuake was actually the very first hardware acceleration for Quake beating GLQuake by a little over a month (December 2, 1996 for VQuake vs January 22, 1997 for GLQuake). :)

While GLQuake was actually ported by ID Software themselves, John Carmack at the time was a big fan of the Rendition Vérité capabilities so it got the priority and early release in time for the V1000's to hit the market. I think I still have my copy somewhere which came bundled with the Creative 3D Blaster PCI. Blew me away when I saw the rendering and smooth graphics for the first time back in '97. :)

8. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

If I remember rightly, there was some controversy at the time because 3dfx were supposedly hampering performance of competing APIs (openGL/DirectX) to try to push devs to using the paid Glide API.

9. elvis

History is littered with people who tried to use marketing and subversion to sway customers. Ultimately if your target audience are technical, you'll get found out, and you'll lose.

10. flain

flain Member

Ahh yes i do remember VQuake but no one i knew had the videocard for it. I also remember seeing magazine pics of quake running on powerVR chipsets. I myself had a diamond monster 3D and quakeworld and teamfortress 1 took up a lot of my time back then. I remember how cool it was that in glquake you had transparent water, those without 3d accelerators had to live with textured water you couldn't see into.

11. elvis

I still remember hacking up an OpenGL driver to run on my S3 ViRGE / Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 card. It couldn't even do lights properly, so things like the tail of rockets in Quake would just be these giant opaque domes of yellow.

Broke-arse unit student gaming for the lose.

12. Vanne

Vanne Member

I remember coming back from working in the states where I was introduced to UT, using a 3dfx 2000 agp card (still have it) and then grabbing one of these... It was all over for 3dfx at this stage..

I just remember being absolutely blown away by this card..

[​IMG]

13. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

It will be one of the last things I look at. not too interested in P4's

Todays activity was indeed the sound blaster.

So much crud, something was living in this PC, this wasn't just brush off, it needed a toothbrush scrub:
    1.JPG

Underside was nice:
    2.JPG
    basically no different after it was cleaned:
    3.JPG
    not perfect, but much better:
    4.JPG

Hmm, this looks pretty bad, but works in the after clean test, so not too fussed:
    5.JPG
    this dust wasn't as baked on as the card:
    6.JPG
    Came up great, gotta clean up a case for this (and find my other one)
    7.JPG

Testet a couple of ports, and they worked so I'm happy.

CPU cooler, opical drives and PSU next probably.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 7:16 PM
    Vanne and elvis like this.
  14. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

yanked it out tonight, and yes it is. the 3 main suspect caps are the 2 by the RAM you pointed out, one the same right next to the north bridge and a couple of others that looked ok upon ripping it out, but seemed suss when I took the cooler off (slight bulges).

I haven't done any board level repair since my last job (about 9 months ago ) and that was because if I tried and fucked it up, there were guys who could redo a whole board in half an hour. :lol:

Feeling good and healthy tonight, so I did a few things. (just wrapped up so it counts as today).
    A nice scrub cleaned up the ODD's, made them less yellow too, and I needed a Sony CD-RW since my only one died a while back:
    DSCF3357.JPG
    Cooler didn't seem too bad... It's a scythe:
    DSCF3382.JPG
    That's a chunky fan but dust levels normal:
    DSCF3383.JPG
    WHAT THE SHIT IS THAT?!?! it looks Africanised!!!
    DSCF3414.JPG
    It was dead whatever it is, so I hope there are no live ones in the case..

Cooler cleaned up OK, but has lots of corrosion that I didn't want to spend all night trying to scrub off:
    DSCF3420.JPG It's much cleaner than my horrible photography skills would have you believe, but it's not thick enough to impede airflow so it's a rare case of near enough is good enough...

PSU wasn't too bad, but someone had popped it open before, possibly to clean:
    DSCF3422.JPG
    And now my level of clean:
    DSCF3423.JPG
    Since the 3850 will be too GOOD for a simple P4, I dug out a geforce 6600GT to go with the rest of the system:
    DSCF3433.JPG
    No before on this, I cleaned it up AGES ago for a build, but found something better.

Next up: motherboard, RAM, CPU and Maybe case if I'm feeling energetic!

15. badmofo

badmofo Member

A little Saturday morning project here messing around with heatsinks on my C64. I've used these little cheap heatsinks for a while but they came with doublesided tape that I've always been suspicious of, so I stripped that off and replaced it with some decent quality thermal paste. My concern then was keeping the heatsinks from working their way off the chip so I ghettoed up some paper clip clips - they don't apply much pressure but hold them in place nicely.

Only the VIC-II gets hot enough to really need a heatsink I think, but I popped one on to the precious SID because why not. The VIC gets surprisingly warm actually - too hot to touch comfortably after the machine has been on a while. The breadbin (in my experience) had no heatsink at all - the metal housing around it (which I've removed) was just an RF shield - it didn't touch the chip at all. And to make matters worse the whole motherboard was sandwiched in foil coated cardboard (more RF shielding) so the meagre air vents were totally blocked. This was corrected in the 64C but the thought of all those VICs baking during the Australian summer makes me sad.

The PLA is the other chip that gets hot in the C64 but as you can see mine died long ago, the replacement SuperPLA is nice and cool.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 at 1:52 PM
    FIREWIRE1394 and Vanne like this.
  16. cbjaust

cbjaust Member

Are you aware of the kX Project for the Emu10k1 and Emu10k2 Audio chips?

17. elvis

I figure these systems were designed for the UK, where temperatures average much lower.

Here in Australia, I heatsink the living crap out of EVERYTHING. Even if completely unnecessary, you're not doing any harm, so at worst you're a few bucks down. At best, however, you're extending the life of these chips by decades, which is a good thing.

18. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Good idea! what I usually do in these cases is mix thermal paste and thermal epoxy. If you mix it about 50/50 its strong enough to hold on but you can usually twist the heatsink off if you need to. Your method is much cheaper though :)

Also that is one tidy C64; no dirt or rust at all!

19. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

I wasn’t, but I’ll be looking at that when I’m back at a functioning computer, seems interesting.:thumbup:

cbjaust likes this.
  20. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

KX is great, but please be aware that it doesn't support EAX.