What retro activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. badmofo

badmofo Member

Yeah I think of the C64 as a UK machine too for some reason - I guess we got all their marketing - but it's actually as American as apple pie. Based on what I've read it's more likely that Commodore just rushed it out the door regardless of the engineer's cooling concerns, and the vent blocking RF shields would have been slapped in there in a panic to get approval. My C128DCR for example was designed to have a fan mounted in the PSU to draw air through the PC but although the mounting holes are there, the fan was dropped to save a few bucks. The CR stands for Cost Reduced. Every cent counts I guess and PCs became obsolete the moment they left the factory back in the day so why aim for longevity?

That sounds like a more scientific approach - I've also heard of peeps putting a drop of superglue on the corners of the heatsink but that sounds like a potentially messy cleanup job when you want to take it off again. My paperclips could of course fall off and short something but I'm confident that won't happen.

2. Phido

Phido Member

I see the c64 as american between 81-85 then from 85-93 I see it as a UK machine.
    In the UK and Australia and Europe, it had a long life as a games machine or 2nd machine (kid). Where as in the US it seems like consoles took over that role.

IMO I like the C64c, they feel a bit more robust. Still surprises me how long they (commodores) last, PC's post 1989 don't last anywhere near as long.

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Does anyone make plastic heat sink clips? Sounds like something that could be 3D printed maybe?

4. mtma

mtma Member

The common types of 3D print plastics will stress relax given enough temperature and time.

Does it really get that hot or just need a bit of help?

The good old Sekisui 5760 might be a choice if it isn't like it needs that much help.

5. Utetopia

Utetopia Member

Sunday cleanup. Not sure what chips are under them. Believe the 433s are microns and the 500s tccd.

Attached Files:

6. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Battling a little with a Socket 754 system.

Motherboard is a Winfast NF3250K8AA-RS with a Nforce3 chipset (present from Shane a while ago).
    Currently has a Sempron 2800+ in it, but will source something better if I can get it 100% stable.
    Videocard is a Winfast Geforce 4 ti4600.
    Soundcard is ESS Solo1 based, want to have some DOS support (under Windows 9x).

I put it together to have a decent AGP system, given I have quite a few videocards but nothing complete at the moment for AGP.

Click to view full size!

Issues I'm having seem to be driver related... Crashing in 98SE, XP and Vista if I enable the onboard ethernet if the driver is installed. :confused: CMOS settings seem to not save either despite a new battery.

Potentially a motherboard issue, but will try a BIOS update, XP install, etc. Fingers crossed!

7. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

Bit the bullet on the plunge router work for the control panel. The holes at the top left and right are where the original gun cable brackets were. Those holes and the joystick brackets will be hidden once I have an overlay in place.

IMG_20190317_172201.jpg IMG_20190317_172509.jpg

One minor stuffup, will either hide it with an overlay or get a new piece of acrylic and redo the whole bit but get opaque black or try to get an opaque grey as close to the veneer as possible - undecided. Basically hit one of the original player start button holes that existed in the panel when I was step drilling into it so the edge of the existing hole took the drill off center. This layout is extremely unforgiving with Sanwa nuts as well...

It isn't a primary button and the important thing is there is now 2P controls so two people can jump on the sticks! Wiring isn't done yet but that's a pretty quick weeknight job.
    IMG_20190317_174847.jpg

I'm particularly happy with how VERY snug i got the joysticks in - wood chisel is your friend. You can also see the brackets that secure the control panel in have been shortened to accommodate the sticks and buttons at the spacing i wanted (this is also the reason they are mounted vertically).
    IMG_20190317_180010.jpg IMG_20190317_180033.jpg

TheWedgie, Vanne and FIREWIRE1394 like this.
  8. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

If you can get it to save BIOS settings you could just stick a PCI NIC in. Sounds like the mobo is cactus but...

9. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Next up in the P4 project.

P4P800 Deluxe as pulled out:
    1.JPG

Yeah some caps are on the way out, but I figured I'd give it a clean anyway:
    2.JPG

But I DO have a whole board sitting around with the opposite problem (Given to me with the description "It doesn't work"):
    3.JPG
    Yep, single cap punched in, all the others are fine. Board is a P4S800-MX SE with a P4 3GHz. so I can slavage from that if I need to/want to try cap replacements.

Speaking of spare board. WOULD YOU LIKE SOME CPU WITH YOUR THERMAL PASTE?
    4.JPG
    I cleaned the stock cooler, but since the board is parts, just left the rest.

Here's the RAM that I got:
    5.JPG
    Kingston has been promptly taken to go in an Athlon XP build that has 2 matching sticks and I'll probably put some other random sticks in this p4.

Looking good aside from aforementioned caps:
    6.JPG

Also found this Builds eventual case at a friends house:
    7.JPG
    PERFECT!!!
    beige to match the ODD's and livedrive and even has a P4 sticker so I don't have to use one from the sticker pile (which is currently MIA)

Will need some cleaning though.. maybe in a few days:
    8.JPG

And as this retro resto nears somewhat completion, I'm thinking about the next one...
    I've picked up a few things.
    A gigabyte GA-6VXC7-4X motherboard (have an I/O shield here I could use)
    An Intel Celeron 633 and stock cooler
    256MB NCP PC133 RAM
    This will 100% be a 98/SE machine. I have a Gigabyte ATI Rage 128 pro 32MB that I've had sitting for a while just waiting for the right board. (probably have some better Pentium 3's around too, but not too fussed)

It tested ok (for about a minute) and cleaned up easy so I couldn't help but get ahead of myself:
    9.JPG
    Need to get some more CR2032's (I ran out of new ones, and ALWAYS need more so a bulk lot for me in the near future)

Hardest part for this celeron build will be the right case and a matching CRT.

adz likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    adz

adz Member

I spent some time on the weekend practicing my SMD soldering technique on old (dead) boards.

FIREWIRE1394 likes this.
  11. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Sing out if you need more boards :lol: no matter how much I practice soldering anything I never get better.

Vanne and adz like this.
  12. OP
    OP
    adz

adz Member

Gracias! Be sure to check out EEVblog for some excellent soldering guides :thumbup:

13. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

No matter the guides, tips, equipment, instructions or practice I never get any better at soldering. I’ve tried (17 years so far) I just suck at it.

I can do passable basic jobs, but it’s not pretty or fast.. and now my soldering iron is dead so it’s a good time to admit defeat. :lol:

adz likes this.
  14. badmofo

badmofo Member

Having the right tools helps with soldering I'm sure - I've only ever used a cheap iron and braid. One of these days I'm going to invest in some decent equipment - the idea of having a desoldering station really appeals. I recapped a Socket 370 board recently and holy smokes it was frustrating and slow.

15. OP
    OP
    adz

adz Member

I bought myself a Hakko FX-888D with a selection of tips a while back and then picked up a JayCar hot air rework station last week. It's something I've always wanted to become proficiant at, but you do need the right tools.

16. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

The worst ones have really fine pitch through-holes, so they don't suck out cleanly and you need a pick to eject the old solder.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  17. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Remembered on this one I didn't need to cable manage about half way through, so stopped...:lol:
    DSCF3466.JPG

Test eventually.

Vanne, adz and WuZMoT like this.
  18. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I never tire of the look of OG zalman heatsinks

FIREWIRE1394 and adz like this.
  19. Vanne

Vanne Member

81-85 as a American? any idea why? I got my grubby little hands on a Sydney machine back in Christmas 82. never looked back. used that puppy strong up until late 1989, at which point we stepped over to the Ami. Absolute magic that machine. (bread bin model)

20. Phido

Phido Member

Yeh, but back in the early 80's a lot of the software was coming from the US, so us games, us distributors, us content, US Gold, commodore itself, shooting games, US sporting and US targeted stuff etc. By the later 80's it seemed like all the software was coming from the UK. Certainly the UK commodore magazines had taken over, and it seemed like the C64 community had its capital in the UK.

Commodore format ran right up into the mid 90's (as did a few other commodore magazines), so it always seemed that the UK it had this massive following, so big, that they had monthly magazines that were distributed as far away as Australia right into the mid 90's. So every time I walked into a newsagent that had commodore format, which was a UK publication it just affirmed it (the commodore 64) was having the time of its life in the UK.

So C64 games, outrun, operation thunderbolt, California games.. Then for the later part of the 64's life I pretty much just existed on zapp64 and other included tape games which were mostly from the UK publishers or UK programmers.

The thing about the C64 is it has staying power. They are hard to kill, there is whole ecosystems to support them, they made millions of them, they seem to get new releases of games almost constantly. They have just enough magic to make them interesting, but enough limitations you had to be creative.

Vanne likes this.